EDC passaround: Reviews

I was only able to take one photo because my camera battery died and I could not find my charger(I found it right after I sent the knife to Rock).

When I got the knife I was cutting alot of stuff around the house,
Leather, tomato, cardboard, an onion, some rope, and some denim.
It cut all those items with ease.

I then went outside and started to wittle a 2x4. Thats when I took a pic!!
the knife made quick work of the wood and I had no real problems.
I then chopped some 3/4'' plywood and it did a very good job for its size.

As for my review this is my thoughts..........

The blade shape is nice maybe a tad to long for an EDC but then again I have never EDCed a fixed blade except for during our short 9 day rifle hunting season.

The handle I felt was a little short for my hands, but the shape of it felt nice. I felt more comfortable holding with three fingers as opposed to holding it fully in my closed hand.

The thickness of the blade seemed good and I really liked the hallow grind.
The edge stayed as sharp as when I got it and it sliced pretty darn good.

Thanks for letting me take part in this review. I would love to test your knives anytime!!

I sent the knife to Rock lest weekend.

007-14.jpg

I enjoyed my time with Sean's knife. When it arrived, it was not razor sharp, but still had a decent working edge on it. I was very hesitant to try to improve upon this as it was not my knife, but I did run it over a steel a bit.

We found out my nephew is autistic this week and my best friend was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer, so it was not the best time for me to get out and play. I did take the EDC out with me instead of the usual Cold Steel Grand Vaquero when I cut the yard. I take a perverse satisfaction in personally dealing with any rogue growth that doesn't get taken care of by the riding mower or the push mower. I left the weed eater put up and went to town with Sean's EDC trimming left over grass in those hard to reach places. It cut cleanly and easily and wiped down effortlessly.

I thought the fit and finish of the knife were very good and I liked the light colored handle. It gave it a nice warm feel despite being a bit small for my tastes. I apologize for not posting any pictures, but with so much going on here, I didn't want to hog the knife any longer.

Thanks again, Sean. The knife was mailed to Patrick Burns on Tuesday.

Rock
Very sorry to hear about your hardships, prayers with you and your family. Thanks for the help, Im glad you liked the knife.

Sean

Sean,
I received the knife from Rock today. Overall impression is nice. I think it is proportioned pretty well for an EDC. An EDC needs to be smaller where it allows to carry easier. So the handle is shorter. It felt good in my hands. The maple handle seemed too smooth to me, but with all these knifedogs putting their paws on it it's no wonder it's so smooth. Sheath really needs to fit tighter and be a little heavier for EDuse.

I didn't get the chance to play with it today cuz I'm trying to put a new burner for my forge together, but I have some ED Chores to put it through this weekend. I'll get some pics and give it a good flogging.

Rock positive thoughts and prayers for your friends and family. Have the best time at Blade. Get your Ya-Ya's out. Wish I was there to get together with ya'll. Take lotsa pics.

Pat

Sean,
Shipped out your knife to Chris Humiston today. Of course the modem on our computer died in an electrical storm last week Wednesday during honey extraction. It got a lot of honeycomb off of frames. So Pics are not available as I'm using the local library's computer.

I really enjoyed the knife. It was carried 5 of 7 days and used it for everything from cutting wild roses for my beautiful wife to cutting my sandwich and more. It handled debarking 3 walking sticks well. Used it fishing and taking care of garden chores. I sharpened a couple sticks for the grandson and fought off a few bad guys with his help.

It kept an edge when I needed it. My overall impression is that it is a great little knife. I'd like it about 1/32" thinner but that's my opinion. The size was good even with big hands. It really fits my idea of an EDC.

Thanks for the opportunity to use your knife. Are you putting our names in a hat for the knife? Just kidding. I like it and am glad to have had the chance to look at someone elses work for a change.

Pat

Thanks Pat, glad you had fun using it. With all this feedback I have made some changes that have helped the knife alot. I really appreciate all the help from you guys.

I am going to put all the names in a hat, but I will make a better sheath for it.

I received the knife today, but had no time to check it out yet. My wife just flew in from Korea. I'll post some first impressions Tuesday night.

Here are my initial impressions on the knife:

First thing I noticed right away, the knife is very loose in the sheath. It just falls out, so this needs to be worked on. Not a knife problem, the sheath just needs a little work.

The knife is very beefy for a small blade, I like this, and it feels nice in the hand. This should make it tough enough to baton small stuff if needed.

I am the last in the pass around and this thing came out of the sheath shaving sharp which says something for its edge holding and sharpening abilities. Very Nice! Now I have another bald spot on my arm! The grind on the blade is well done and fit and finish are nice as well. I like the Hollow Grind.

The handle is a little short, but it still tucks nicely in my hand with my pinkie covering the butt of the handle. I like the three finger grip so far…

That's it for my first look out of the box.

I'll be out in the field Thursday and will get some real use in and post another report.

I would like to thank Sean for allowing me to check this sweet little knife out!

Attachments

• DSC01880.jpg
    DSC01880.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 24
I whacked away at a 2x4 and split some Madrone today. I also shaved some wood for tinder. When I was done I could still shave!

This blade is very well made! It is easy to sharpen and holds an edge like nobody's business! I look for this quality in a good blade.

I'll have some more details and photos after my trip up in the Santa Ynez mountains tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC01888.jpg
    DSC01888.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01884.jpg
    DSC01884.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 17
I was able to take the knife into the field Friday. I batoned some wood and then did a little shaving on a branch as if I were planning to make a fire. The knife performed flawlessly. And after all the uses I've put it through I could still shave the hair off my arm!

So here are the answers to Sean's questions;

1. Overall design. Very Good

a. Does the knife have good lines/visually appealing? Yes I like the looks very much.

b. Is the size good? OAL and blade to handle ratio. I personally like the size a lot. The handle could use another inch if you want it to fill the hand.

2. Choice of material

a. This knife is 1084. Is that a good all around steel for EDC? This steel held up great! It holds an edge wonderfully and is easy to sharpen.

Carbon vs. Stainless? I like most any steel if it holds up to the task at hand and this one does. Proper heat treating is a must and I think you got it right.

b. What handle material would be best suited? This one has
stab. maple just because that's what I had on hand. I like the natural wood on this knife. It's a small blade and I see no need for a rough synthetic.

c. It is a little beefy. I made it from thicker steel to add a
little heft. Should be thinner stock? The blade thickness is right on for me.

3. Grind. Is the hollow grind good? Should it be flat or convex? I really like this Hollow Grind and it was done well, I wouldn't change it.

4. What is your overall impression? I love this little knife. I would carry it out in the field everyday. It would be a great companion to a larger knife, but it gets everyday tasks done on its' own.

To close this out I would like to say Thanks to Sean for allowing me to test his knife out. I would be proud to own one of these!

Final note...my pictures were taken indoors due to the heat and a critter with a rattle lurking outside!

Attachments

• DSC01899.jpg
    DSC01899.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01896.jpg
    DSC01896.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01898.jpg
    DSC01898.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 10
Okay I just got the knife back from Chris today. Im really happy with how it held up, I know a couple of you guys hit the edge, and Im happy with how the edge held.

I cant tell you guys how grateful I am for your help. Having never EDC'ed a fixed blade I really didnt know what qualities one needed.

Here is what I have "fixed"
1. I am using slightly thinner stock
2. The handle length has been increased
3. The finger groove has been improved.
4. I made the knife fits snug in the sheath.;)

I only make three styles of fixed blade (this one, a hunter and a camp knife everything else I do are folders) so your input really helped me get this one where it needs to be.

Now for the good part. This evening I put all the names of testers in a hat and had my daughter draw one out, this little knife is going back to...............

California! Congrats Chris! thanks so much for your help. Im going to make you a new sheath. Ill send you a PM to let you know when Ill be sending it out.

What a great bunch of Dogs you guys are!dog houzeluvsite1

Sean

WOW! I couldn't be more pleasesd, I really loved using this knife and I will be proud to own it and carry it with me in the field!

Thanks Sean for the opportunity to help test it and your generosity in giving us all a chance to win it!!!

Chris

Back