EDC passaround: Reviews

Unless Jeff did anything to the edge all I had done was hit it a few swipes on the crock stick before I sent it to him. Mostly what I did was cut a ton of heavy cardboard boxes with it for recycle and sharpened some tomato stakes with it. It really holds a great edge and it has a thin edge that slices good. After all I did it would still slice paper and shave hair.

1. Overall design. Very good
a. Does the knife have good lines/visually appealing? yes it looks good
b. Is the size good? OAL and blade to handle ratio. it is a little small for my hands but overall is a good size ratio.
2. Choice of material
a. This knife is 1084. Is that a good all around steel for EDC? It held up to all the chopping i did and resharpened very easy.
Carbon vs. Stainless? I like O1my self carbon makes better cutters
b. What handle material would be best suited? This one has
stab. maple just because thats what I had on hand.I would like to see G10
c. It is a little beefy. I made it from thicker steel to add a
little heft. Should be thinner stock? no I like the thick blade.
3. Grind. Is the hollow grind good? Should it be flat or convex? I like the hallow grind
4. What is your overall impression? It was a good edc. that cuts great but just a little small for my hands. other than that. very nice.

Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.
As for the handle, do you think it needs to be a little longer? I have huge hands and it is always hard for me to judge a good size for "normal" hands.

Sean

I think what it really needs is a thong hole and a cool lanyard with a dog bead.:)

Last edited:
Yes i think the handle needs to be just a little longer. and yes it needs a cool lanyard with a bull dog bead. I would of made one it it had a lanyard hole....

Personally I think the handle could be a little longer myself. I noticed the front radius of the handle could be a little sharper curve to keep my hand from sliding forward. By doing that it would also make the grip area feel longer. Just miner tweaking but most could be considered personal preference.

What do ya think guys, about another finger and a half in length?
enough for the little finger would fit my hand for a full size. Under normal use I don't mind a three finger grip though. I just noticed longer would be better cutting hard stuff with it and one of my little "Scout" knives at the same time comparing but you normally don't cut through oak boards with a knife in every day use. I was doing stuff you would grab a hatchet for normally. For an everyday carry that gets pulled out and cut a box open or bust a hay bale the current handle would suffice. I guess it's just personal preference. Maybe make some of each and see which sells best.

sean,

is the handle long enough. im just a wannabe but from the pictures it looks little short. i like a smaller straight blade than most but thats one of the things i keep seeing in my own. by the way the grind lines are really nice and sharp. i have so much trouble with nice clean grind lines.:unsure:

sean,

is the handle long enough. im just a wannabe but from the pictures it looks little short. i like a smaller straight blade than most but thats one of the things i keep seeing in my own. by the way the grind lines are really nice and sharp. i have so much trouble with nice clean grind lines.:unsure:

Jared one of the things I was trying to make sure the handle wasnt so long that it would be cumbersome when carried as an EDC. One problem I have though is I have really big hands and it is hard for me to judge a "normal" handle length.
After getting some feedback already, I lengthened the handle some. Also its not quite as short as it looks in the pics, but it did help to give it some added length.
As for your grinds, all I can say is you have to practice and find a way that works for you. I learned to grind from another maker, but after practicing (alot:eek:) I found things that worked better for me, I think after you get the fundamentals it is a matter of finding a personal preference.

Sean

Alright guys and gals I've finally gotten off of my hind quarters and got around to taking notes. Now I'm going to try my best at translating my handwriting in order to complete this.

First of all, when I received the knife it was razor sharp! I guess I'm a bit typical when I first examine a knife that I tend to use, I check the edge. I was extremely impressed when I felt the edge of this blade. When I say it was razor sharp, IT WAS RAZOR SHARP! Often times I have to use a bit of effort when I test a blade to see if it will shave hair. This blade did so with almost zero effort. Unfortunately, it wouldn't shave the five o'clock shadow. Yes, I did try.

I found that the design of the blade lended itself quite well as a EDC utility knife. The blade had plenty of "meat" to the blade for heavier cutting tasks and the tip was pointy enough to to lend itself for the more delicate task I would normally use a much smaller blade for.

As the others have stated, I found the handle of the knife to be a bit lacking for my personal preferences, but then again, that's why it's called a custom knife. Had I ordered this knife from Sean I would have been specific in my design request for the handle. I'm sure this piece fits Sean quite well. Had I ordered the piece from Sean, I would have requested the handle have more width towards the butt in order to provide more of a swell to fit my palm.

As for the choice of handle material...... I found the maple to be very fitting to the design. The use of the black spacer material complimented the handle very well. The fit and finish of the handle was excellent and extremely symetrical. I'm normally more of a micarta kind of guy but found that I really liked the look and feel of the stabilized maple.

The only hesitation I had in carrying this piece was the sheath. I stay fairly busy from day to day and normally carry a small fixed blade with a positive retention sheath (kydex). I found myself constantly checking to insure the knife was still there. Of course, it was. I was just a bit nervous considering I don't own the piece.

Murph
Thanks for your help with this, but more importantly thank you for your service to our country.

This passaround has already helped me tremendously. I have lengthened the handle and Im going to go with g10 or micarta for the scales.

As for the sheath, Im going to go with kydex on EDC's from now on.

Thanks again Murph, I appreciate your input.

The knife will now be making its way back to the Bluegrass, coming to Denton.

Sean

I just got in from work and have some errands to run. I'll do my best to get this out to Denton first thing in the morning.

Got the knife last night. I have been looking at it and handling it for about 20 minutes and here is what I have come to.

As stated before the craftsmanship is great. Over all appearance is pleasing to the eye. The shape of the blade I really like. It is something that is important to me. The problem for me is that I have a wide hand and the handle is a little short. But for most it would be ok. For me a 1/2" would be enough for me to get a better grip. It is a little thick, a thinner stock (IMO) would be better. Personally I like flat grind and would like it on this knife, but the hollow grind is good as well. Katie my wife (kmwilliams) liked the knife but she did say it was a little thick. The handle matirial was great looking but it is slick. Personally I like micarta for an EDC. Would I purchace this knife, with the few comments I made for me personally, SEAN WHEN ARE YOU TAKING ORDERS!!!!! Really a great little knife. Would carry this during hunting season. Thanks for letting me in on this. Oh O-1 for the blade.

Last edited:
Hey James, thanks so much for your help, glad you liked it. I have changed a couple of things since sending the knife out. I made one to keep myself I dont normally carry a fixed blade EDC so I wanted to get my own input:). The biggest change has been the handle length, I increased it by about 3/4". Also I used a thinner stock. I liked the thicker stock but I think it could become a little cumbersome.
As for the handle Ill go with micarta. Also going with O-1, or ATS34 I usually hollow grind but I can flat grind if anyone would want it.
What do you think about black micarta with a blasted finish?

If anyone is interested in placing an order just shoot me an email or PM.

Thanks again James.

Sean

Back