FILE GUIDE and how to use it

I was lucky enough to score the last ( no more orders he says ) of the Bruce Bump file guides..............

Dandy tool, fair price and, exactly, what I needed for some time. I truly love well designed, and crafted, tools.

Thanks for digging this up for me Bruce.

Syn

We are making file guides again. Our newest son Benton (future son-in-law) is making them in the evenings in my shop and is turning out our standard high quality carbide file guides. Paypal works best.

Edited to remove email address.

Last edited:
Bruce
After a long absence from the shop, I have to say that with your guide, blaze belts and my disc grinder, I almost feel like im cheating some how!
Had 8 mid size hardened kitchen knives ground out to 800 grit from hardened blanks in an afternoon! Each with a perfect plunge!! This for me is a great improvement! Thanks again for such a great product!!! Is ordering a couple more of the 3" or possibly 3.5" inside clearance guides an option?

God Bless
Mike

Hi Mike, Glad to hear from you and with great things to say about the file guides too.
Benton is making some with a 3" inside opening in both W1 and 410 Stainless Steel.
Bruce
After a long absence from the shop, I have to say that with your guide, blaze belts and my disc grinder, I almost feel like im cheating some how!
Had 8 mid size hardened kitchen knives ground out to 800 grit from hardened blanks in an afternoon! Each with a perfect plunge!! This for me is a great improvement! Thanks again for such a great product!!! Is ordering a couple more of the 3" or possibly 3.5" inside clearance guides an option?

God Bless
Mike

I received mine about two weeks ago and it really is super. Jim Schmidt was a neighbor and made one for me out of W2 15 years ago. Worked great but couldn't grind with it and had to keep surface grinding the flats to keep them level. The carbide inserts are fantastic. Thank you.
Paul Spurgas

Thanks Paul, happy you like the guide. I wish Jim Schmidt was my neighbor. He should go into the cutlery hall of fame some day.

I will add that I love my file guide. I use it all the time. And I was just put on the list for a stainless one with a 3" wide opening.

I'm sure Benton will be wild about this picture on the internet but this is our future son-in-law. Him and Krista are to be married on Feb 1st. Hey thats next week!!

Here he is busy with a batch of standard length stainless file guides.

Barrysfolderandfileguides004.jpg

Barrysfolderandfileguides005.jpg

Barrysfolderandfileguides006.jpg

I'm sure Benton will be wild about this picture on the internet but this is our future son-in-law. Him and Krista are to be married on Feb 1st. Hey thats next week!!

Here he is busy with a batch of standard length stainless file guides.

Barrysfolderandfileguides004.jpg

Barrysfolderandfileguides005.jpg

Barrysfolderandfileguides006.jpg

Nice!!!! Good for him. Getting married is an awesome experience and I can't wait to see my file guide with his name on it!!!

For anybody thinking about ordering a file guide I just want to encourage you to place an order for one now.

Krista and Benton are now married so Benton will have some time to work on the file guides Again. They are on the way back for the Oregon coast right now.

Last edited:
I have made several W1 file guides with the help of my apprentices. They work great but can rust inside the pin and bolt holes if not maintained frequently or if you live near salt water. To help with the corrosion issue we started installing stainless bolts and pins but still experienced a few problems especially if the maker dunked the file guide to cool it when grinding.

We switched to an all stainless steel file guide a month or so ago and have experienced slow production. I must apologize for slow delivery due to broken threading taps and worn out mill ends.

Finally we have the solution. I am now working with a small machine shop that wrote a CNC program for his milling machine. We have completely switched over to 5/8" square bar stock in 304 stainless steel. Along with stainless allen head countersunk screws and stainless pins too.
And the best news is the price remains the same.

I'll try to get a picture of the new prototype today so come back and have a look.

Due to customer requests we are mostly selling the guides that are capable of grinding a full size chef knife with a 3" opening between the bolts. The smaller 2" opening guides are still available for the same price of $120 delivered.

Benton emailed me mine is one the way. I cant't waite for it to arrive. It will arrive just in time to go to a class with Jason Knight, MS that I am taking this month. I will get to try it there.

Thank you for getting it to me in time for the class!

Benton emailed me mine is one the way. I cant't waite for it to arrive. It will arrive just in time to go to a class with Jason Knight, MS that I am taking this month. I will get to try it there.

Thank you for getting it to me in time for the class!
Hi George, We were going to overnight it to you for your deadline but they wanted $130. It should be there via Priority on Monday. I hope that works. When is your class? Congrats on tutoring from Jason Knight!

I will second that. This is the best file guide you can imagine. The machining is beyond reproach, and the carbide is wonderful. I've used up several other file guides in my very short career, but I think this one is going to last me a good long while. Weird - I don't need two of these...but I want another one! That's just part of my general approach of having extras of everything that I deem crucial to my life. And Bruce's file guide definitely falls into that category. I never want to not have one, ever, again... :) Thanks Bruce - this is a total service to the knifemaking community.

Back