Have you guys ever seen anything like this?

N.N

http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogspot.com/p/products.html

I had someone just ask me to make one of these for him. I flat out said no. This guy is making knives out of titanium, sandwiched with carbon fiber to create the surface area for the bevel. Would that even work? I wouldn't imagine titanium makes for a good edge and carbon fiber seems like it would chip or something. His designs are pretty and kinda neat, but I'm not sure this is anywhere close to practical.

If anybody knows the guy or he's a member or something, I'm sure not trying to belittle his work. I'm really more interested if it's all hype or if this could actually make a decent knife.

I've seen someone laminate carbon fiber to titanium in the past. I'm not sure of the benefit aside from the safety glass effect where a blade break sticks to the laminate. Titanium doesn't make a great knife edge unless using a carbidizer imo. I'm guessing the draw here is the look and the weight reduction. You look up William Nease and ask his opinion on this method. He was the person i was referring to and he's very nice to talk to.

I usually avoid forums, but I've heard repeatedly that KnifeDogs was a great forum, filled with folks who spoke knowledgeably and with authority... and then here's this thread, where that is absolutely non-existent.

No one here understands the applications for these knives, or the manner of construction used... but you're all full of criticism and insults. That's truly special.

I guess some folks will buy anything if they think its unique...and the "cool factor" is high enough. :) I'm sure the guy put a lot of effort into "laminating" those two materials, but I simply don't see a way to do it.....at least not one thats durable enough that I would be willing to put my name on.
The folks who buy knives from SCI would probably surprise you... LEO, Military, etc.
Perhaps you should contact Mr. Wendt at Special Circumstances and discuss his methods, before you slam them? Even if you don't have the character to speak directly to someone before insulting them with the full weight of your very recognizable name, perhaps avail yourself of Google Scholar or another search engine for professional and journal papers? There is a great deal of material available on joining carbon fiber and titanium, thanks to the aerospace industries among others. It is my understanding that Mr. Wendt has gone to great lengths to study the materials he uses, and understand their properties and how to best use them... But, I've known the man for years, and talk to him about processes and methods routinely; I have no bashfulness about reaching out to a fellow knife-maker and talking shop. It's actually a lot more fun than taking pot-shots at people I don't know, because I occasionally learn something.

There are plenty of applications where a lightweight, low-corrosion, knife is more desirable than a steel blade; Titanium, carbidized or not (Mr. Wendt carbidizes), will cut a man...
The strength is also not an issue; I've seen SCI knives put in a vise and leveraged, the layers are not separating without an extreme effort (equal to bending a steel blade); Far more than would be exerted on the knives in their intended uses. Again, anyone familiar with the materials used, particularly in combination, would be aware of this: The combination of CF and Ti. is not uncommon in industry, it's a done thing and for many valid reasons.
As for carbon fiber chipping... Again, gross ignorance of the material is being displayed here. How many knife-makers use CF to make non-metallic knives for specialty clients, without worry? Dozens. If chipping was a concern, it wouldn't be done. Having done it (to the tune of over 100+ pieces, including for Special Operations groups), I can assure you, chipping is a ridiculous concern.

This is laughable gentleman. I've casually observed KD from the sidelines for years, and had a lot of respect for Mr. Caffrey from various forums and seeing his work over the 15+ years I've been a knifemaker, and this is an extremely poor show. Ragging on someone, from positions of ignorance, without taking the time to contact them and ask about their methods, or raise your concerns is pretty low. Particularly when you're a recognizable name in our industry, whose opinion draws water: People will read what you'e said, assume you would know better than they, and move on from the work of a very skilled craftsman and grade-A human being when in fact you do not know of what you speak.

This is why I don't read forums and don't talk to most knife nuts or many other knifemakers socially; Everyone is an expert in the other guys work, no matter how little they know.

Morgan Atwood
BFE Labs.

Last edited:
We're not all full of insults. There are some really good people on this forum and a lot of green knife makers so you shouldn't expect every thread to be from a 20 year vet. I know your comment centered mostly on Ed but you took aim at everyone including the OP who was only asking for more information (though I will admit he could of done so by just mentioning the technique instead of providing a reference of somebody's work). I listed my limited knowledge on the topic and provided a reference for the OP for further inquiry, and I did so implying that my knowledge on the subject was in fact limited. I understand you're upset and if I've insulted you or the anyone using this construction I can assure you it was unintentional. I have no interest as of yet to pursue this technique though I know other makers that have done so. However, should I have a desire to pursue this construction or any other then obviously I would gladly reach out to the makers that do it for more information. Thank you for providing a little more information on the subject though under less favorable circumstances. Again, my comments were not directed toward any knife maker or method and definitely not meant to insult anyone. I would only ask that in the future you actually participate in a forum if anything to provide the knowledge you find lacking in them from both the experienced and inexperienced knife makers.

Wow BFE, what a first post! Criticism? Insults? Slam? Pot shots? Finding Ed's comment laughable? You sure read a lot into that short little post, seemed to me he was just saying it wasn't "his" cup of tea. I'm a newb, but if people don't express their opinion on topics if they disagree, then what's the point of this forum? I've got my wife to pat me on the back, I count on these guys to give me their honest opinions, good or bad. Lighten up.

This thread really is at the very limits of what will be allowed here.

Discussions with differences of opinion are fine. Declaring something like, "In my experience I'm right and you are wrong" I don't have a problem with although I can see where someone on the wrong end of things would be offended by that.

Trivializing or diminishing someone's work I have a problem with. We are all in this together.

Comments that are veiled insults or to bait others to make a point or rebuttal I have a problem with.

I will follow up in PM. Either get along or move along.

AMEN TRACY! I have to admit this did give me an old feeling, when I was on the "OTHER"
forum, but the BOSS DOG to the rescue! We are only human, even the best of us make mistakes,
and generally the BEST of us IN us, usually will step up and say so! But to say to blanket this Forum
in with all the rest is an insult that actually hurts! Do you Mr. know how many people this forum
hs helped? I don't ONLY mean knifemakers making better knives, that's a given! I'm talking real
people faced with real hardships, it was Knife Makers from this forum, (no other was asked)
that stepped up with a collection, and one man in particular (Bob knows who he is) that went to
the ladys house after her husband a BROTHER Knife maker had passed away, he took our collection
(That number isn't important), to her some 90 miles away from him, yet he was the closest and not
only did he deliver the collection, he spent the day with her cataloging all of his equipment and materials,
so she could get a fair price for them and no one would be able to rip her off! All she asked of him was to
come and give her an estimate on what the equipment was worth, all the rest Bob came up with! So please,
DO NOT LUMP US IN WITH ALL THE "FORUMS" OUT THERE, WE ARE VASTLY DIFFERENT! AND IF YOU HAVE BEEN
LURKING, YOUR START DATE WOULD NOT BE 2015! As you say you have been, BUT IF, you ave been you'd already KNOW!
We are not any ole Forum, We ARE KNIFEDOGS! ND WE ARE PROUD TO BE HERE!
Rex McClellan, McClellan Made Blades!

http://specialcircumstancesinc.blogspot.com/p/products.html

I had someone just ask me to make one of these for him. I flat out said no. This guy is making knives out of titanium, sandwiched with carbon fiber to create the surface area for the bevel. Would that even work? I wouldn't imagine titanium makes for a good edge and carbon fiber seems like it would chip or something. His designs are pretty and kinda neat, but I'm not sure this is anywhere close to practical.

If anybody knows the guy or he's a member or something, I'm sure not trying to belittle his work. I'm really more interested if it's all hype or if this could actually make a decent knife.

I like seeing new things and trying them as well. I suppose if I were asked to make something like this I would accept the challenge but only after the person requesting fully understands the limitations of the materials and my experience or lack of with the process. I also would take the project on for a friend only. Our conversation before the project starts would go something like-
as far as cutting edge performance goes there is no advantage to titanium that I know of and laminating it to carbon fiber would only add limitations to the usibility of the knife but as long as you understand this I would be willing to give it a shot.

I have enjoyed this thread because there are differences of opinion that are thought provoking. I welcome opinionated comments especially here at KD because I feel many comments and discussions are watered down a bit to keep things pleasant (including mine).Ed's statement was well thought out and conveyed with honesty, respect and class, as usual. I have been reading his posts for 14 years and while I don't always agree, I value and respect them. He posts using his real name, his real picture :) and always contributes with good intentions.

I openly apologieze. My comments were not intended as negative..... I thought the smiley face would help convey that, but obviously not. Also, I was trying to praise filling a given niche, but it seems that didn't make it from my mind to the keyboard in the correct manner to be taken that way.

I deleted my post, and again, apologize that the post was taken in a different manner then intended.

Now wait a min, Ive been on the receiving end of Eds opine and view of a project it may have been a bit gruff or nlunt at first but the whole message is one of his advice and view. If one is to become offended over anothers view then, one should reassess their take on the statement. I did get my chones in a twist a bit when I had a comment made about the material I was working with. All were tolerant of my newbness and explained in small words big crayon what was meant. Chill out man life is too short to be stressing like that.

Wow, I have to go away for a few days and it appears I started a oil wrestling competition. I was trying to be careful when this started this topic to not sound like I was belittling anyones work by stating, and I quote, "I'm sure not trying to belittle his work". I even went so far out as to compliment his designs, the horror.

The intention of the thread was for information and opinions on the subject of creating this kind of knife. Of which, Mr. Caffrey's opinion is taken well, as it will always be and I was happy to hear his opinion on the subject. I do appreciate your thoughts Ed.

Thank you BFE for setting us straight and letting us know that making knives such as this is ok to do. It's a good thing you happened by when you did or this could have gotten out of hand. I would also like to apologize for my stupidity and will never again ask if titanium is good enough or question the strength of carbon fiber. All joking aside, I think In the future a little argument and bit more explanation would have served your post better.

I was under a rather positive opinion of his knives and I think they look really cool with the carbon fiber. I just wanted to know, from people I respect, if something like this is practical for a knife in terms that I understand a knife to practical for. However, since this is such a touchy subject I'm no closer to understanding and to avoid any more butthurt, I shall continue to flat out say no to making anything resembling a titanium knife with or without carbon fiber lamination involved and forward my future business to you should someone else request a titanium and carbon fiber laminated blade. Boss, if you feel that this thread should be closed, I'm ok with that.

There is going to be disagreements and hard feelings on the internet. When it goes unchecked, it spins into crap I don't want any part of.

Someone said we water things down here a bit meaning if you can't say something nice, don't say it. That pretty much sums it up and I operate this forum that way intentionally to keep respect for everyone where it should be. It's too easy to rip something on a keyboard when you want to be heard and that most likely would have been worded differently another day after the moment had passed.

I don't think we miss too much content and advice by keeping things civil and polite. I understand some think that KD is overly nice and men need to be men and man up. There are plenty of social sites to get all worked up on. I intend this place to be an oasis from that. It's a business and personal decision I made when I opened this forum and I intend to stick to it.

back to knives...
t

If an opinion offends you from a heavy or a newb you may be too twisted around the axle, lighten up. I would rather hear what people have to say, minus all the everybody gets a trophy PC crowd. Ed, you wasted an apology in my opinion, don't alter your future post from it, Id like to hear what you have without the censorship, you were not rude, simply stating your opinion.

Last edited:
If an opinion offends you from a heavy or a newb you may be too twisted around the axle, lighten up. I would rather hear what people have to say, minus all the everybody gets a trophy PC crowd. Ed, you wasted an apology in my opinion, don't alter your future post from it, Id like to hear what you have without the censorship, you were not rude, simply stating your opinion.

Another newb here. Well stated JawJacker.

Back