How do i sell my knives?

samdwenger_11

Hello, my name is Sam Wenger and i am looking for some help selling my knives. I do not have the time to attend knife/gun shows and do not wish to build a website. Any suggestions for getting started?

Hello, my name is Sam Wenger and i need some help selling my knives. I dont have the time to attend shows and do not wish to build and operate a website, any other ways to sell knives?

There are alot of options, probably the easiest would be to list a few here on KD.

Not trying to be rude, but you pretty much just shot down the two most successful options. One thing you have to realize about selling knives....it requires a "presence", meaning that establishing a reputation is a large part of it, and that takes time and effort.
The only other thing I can suggest is to find a local store/business, who might be willing to carry your knives. Chances are they are going to want a percentage of any sales.

Ed's spot on, as usual. You have to be visible. The web is the best way to do that. I've had good luck selling on hunting forums, and started selling there before I did a knife show or built a website.

Not trying to be rude, but you pretty much just shot down the two most successful options. One thing you have to realize about selling knives....it requires a "presence", meaning that establishing a reputation is a large part of it, and that takes time and effort.
The only other thing I can suggest is to find a local store/business, who might be willing to carry your knives. Chances are they are going to want a percentage of any sales.

+1..Ed ALWAYS hits the nail on the head!!!!!!

I started out in this boat not too long ago. There really is no quick and easy answer, you have to invest time, money, or both in gaining presence and visibility. The forums are a good place to do this but you may have to list pieces for a year or more before some buyers feel familiar enough with you and your work to make a purchase. Not having a website will probably make this take even longer, it legitimizes you in some customers minds if your business has an online presence that they can refer to, to learn more about you and your work. Otherwise they have to judge an individual product, based on a few pictures, and this makes a lot of buyers think twice. One way or another, you are marketing yourself and your skills, and your values, along with your product. Some buyers have to be comfortable with not just the product, but the maker, before they will buy.

One way to get your name and your work seen, and gain a positive view in the eyes of potential customers, is to donate or raffle knives for charities or benefits, or get involved in something like our group military build that we did here on KD. This can be a good way to let your intended buying audience know who you are and what you are about.

I consolidated these into one thread in the best forum for it.

There is no easy way to sell knives, you have to work for each one.

I have had the same problem. I have not had time to go to any shows. My website has gotton little buisness for me that I am aware of but word of mouth has done wonders. I have gotten 90% + of my buisness from referals from past customers. If you make a good product it casn sell it self. I am not saying there is not going ot be any work on your half but getting your name out ther sure does help. I have been lucky in that I got my first few knives in the right hands and it spread but if I had not then I would still be sitting on alot of knives and trying to find time to get to the shows. Ed was correct in saying that those two are very important and that if you want ot sell some knives you will have to get out there and get your product into the right hands.

Without sounding like a wise guy, nobody has addressed this fact. FIRST THINGS FIRST, MAKE A SALEABLE KNIFE!!
And by that I simply mean that awkward designs, thick and clumsy handles and poorly finished grinds will repel customers like angry hornets.
Assuming that you have surpassed all that, I started by selling knives to hunting buddies then quickly moved to forums because hunting buddies only want to pay "buddies" rates.
When chosing a forum to sell on I can't emphasize enough that your work must match your customers expectations. If you build zombie slayers, stay on the forums that cater that way. Keep in mind that there is a customer for every knife ("A butt for every saddle") but ask yourself, At what price? When you start off, if you can double your costs, you may be happy enough to move it. Every knife in someone elses hands is a built in salesman.
Be aware that selling on forums such as this one, we do have a growing number of collectors but you are basically trying to sell knives to knifemakers. I for one, am happy to add to my collection, but it has to be at an exceptional price.
Work on your website, explore ALL the forums including hunting, camping, survival, Jeep owners etc until you land on a good customer base.

One more tip "LET "EM SOAK" meaning don't get jumpy and lower the price every week. You only need one buyer to make a sale. Give him time to find it. I just recently bought online and watched the piece for three weeks until it went to half price. My wife said, "if you wait long enough, this guy will owe YOU money" Don't be that guy.

Just my opinion,
hope it helps,
Steve

Back