INEXPENSIVE KILN FOR HEAT TREATING

Sampson knifeworks

I have bought a Kiln a few months ago from a place called the Good Kiln CO.
Was told about this company by a good friend and knife supplier James Poplin of Pop's knife supplies. I ended up selling my paragon digital furnace and buying one of these kilns. They have two knife makers models and I got the small one, because as the years go by my knives keep getting smaller for some reason!
You can't beet the price ! There are not fancy and just come with a infinite switch, like the one on your kitchen oven. I use a digital kitchen timer to time the amount of time to get to temperature, when the timer goes of I adjust the knob to maintain the temp I want, then reset the timer for the soak time. They do sell a digital controller if you like. They sell there little oven for 412.00 and there large one for 497.00 plus freight of course. One thing I have found out is that the infinite switch does not control the lower tempering temps very well, like 400 - 450 degrees. I would think the digital controller would cure this. I use a toaster oven for all of my tempering instead of waiting for my kiln to cool off.
http://www.sugarcreekind.com/
Once you get to there home page click on there kilns tab in the upper left of the page, then click on the knife makers kilns. If this link does not work put in the good kiln co. in a Google search.
Hope this info helps somebody!
Happy Knife making,
Sincerely,
Clint Sampson
Sampson Knifeworks

Bought this one about 5 years ago.
Only used it a few times so far, but I like it. cool 1

Attachments

• My Kiln.jpg
    My Kiln.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 71
I have a few questions about this unit...

Is there any advantage of having the smaller unit to the large one? I would think that larger would allow more possibilities, which would be better in the long run.

Would it be possible to install a rampmaster or other kind of control later if I wanted to?

$500 really seems like a good price if it works well.

Woah, they're located about an hour and a half from me! That's way cheaper than shipping!

Hi Mike,
The large furnaces would have there advantages if you ever plan on making a large knife, the smaller one works great for me, it uses less electricity and I believe the heat is more even throughout a small chamber. The large one gets hot quicker, it is 220v and the small one is 110v. I can fit a 12" blade in mine on a diagonal. I talked to good kiln about the digital controller and one can be installed later and they sell the kit. You would have to contact them about the prices of there controllers or installing other brands. I love mine and heating elements & thermo couplers if you should ever need one are reasonably priced! Be great if you could drive up there and get one!
Clint Sampson
Sampson Knifeworks

I have the larger one (the BKK - Big Knife Kiln) with the digital controller. I have been very happy with this unit and would definitely recommend it. I like the extra depth (24") to deal with longer knives, and the 220V is a plus (for me). The digital controller is easy to use once programmed. This is a good tool. 2thumbs

Erin
3684960097_45354d3a67_o.jpg

(Side note: the kiln is a PITA to unpack when it shows up at your door. The Sugar Creek guys fill the box w/ expanding foam that has to be cut away.)

Last edited:
I have the larger one (the BKK - Big Knife Kiln) with the digital controller. I have been very happy with this unit and would definitely recommend it. I like the extra depth (24") to deal with longer knives, and the 220V is a plus (for me). The digital controller is easy to use once programmed. This is a good tool. 2thumbs

Erin
3684960097_45354d3a67_o.jpg

(Side note: the kiln is a PITA to unpack when it shows up at your door. The Sugar Creek guys fill the box w/ expanding foam that has to be cut away.)

Eric I was looking on the web and I didn't see the digital controller. Is that standard or did you have to order it?

Eric I was looking on the web and I didn't see the digital controller. Is that standard or did you have to order it?

The name is Erin (yes... spelled the girl's way)... :eek: {Thanks mom and dad}:D

The digital controller is not shown on the Sugar Creek website, so I had to send them an email to ask about it. It adds $240 to the cost of the kiln. The kiln, controller, and shipping ended up around $875.

Erin

The name is Erin (yes... spelled the girl's way)... :eek: {Thanks mom and dad}:D

The digital controller is not shown on the Sugar Creek website, so I had to send them an email to ask about it. It adds $240 to the cost of the kiln. The kiln, controller, and shipping ended up around $875.

Erin

Sorry Erin, well that explains why I couldn't find it on there site.

I have the 24" also, the ONLY thing I don't like is that the controls are on the side and not on the front. One pita to unpack.
Jerry

Great thread, I would like to hear more on the 120 vs 220. I'd have to say that 98% of my knives are under 12" so would it be worth the extra $100 for the big oven? I have 220 in the shop so that's not a problem and I realize that over the course of a couple of years that extra $100 would only be a couple of bucks a month. Erin, why is the 220 good for you. Thanks for your help. Moon

Erin,

Is that the small blade fixture from Tracy in your oven? Do you think think the large one would fit?

Yeah, that's the smaller Evenheat fixture that Tracy sells. I has been awesome... well worth the 20bucks 2thumbs. I'm not sure whether the bigger fixture would fit in my kiln (Tracy doesn't give dimensions on his site), and I didn't want to risk it.

Erin

Great thread, I would like to hear more on the 120 vs 220. I'd have to say that 98% of my knives are under 12" so would it be worth the extra $100 for the big oven? I have 220 in the shop so that's not a problem and I realize that over the course of a couple of years that extra $100 would only be a couple of bucks a month. Erin, why is the 220 good for you. Thanks for your help. Moon

Moon,

In purely resistive loads, like kilns, there is very little difference efficiency-wise between 120V (110V) or 240V (220V). The only advantage of 220V is in breaker and wire sizing for the circuit.

For me, I wanted the additional depth for longer blades, and had a 220V receptacle in the corner of my shop where I wanted to place the kiln. To get the same heating capacity in a 120V unit would require that I buy a special 30-amp breaker and run new #10 wire for that special receptacle. This is likely why Sugar Creek does not sell their larger kiln in 110V.

As for your choice...
  • If only 2 out of 100 knives you make are over 12" AND you don't plan on making larger knives in the future, I'd probably lean toward the smaller kiln.
  • If you don't have any 220V circuits in your shop area AND don't plan on running a 220V circuit to your shop in the future to power other machinery (like belt grinders), then you will want to purchase the smaller (120V) kiln.
  • Otherwise, it's always nice to have the extra depth for larger knives... and the base cost difference is only $85.:D

Good luck with whatever you choose. Erin

Erin....

How much time does it take that oven to heat up? Say from start to 1950F? The one I own now takes 3+ hours to reach 1950F, and it just bugs the heck outta me.

Erin....

How much time does it take that oven to heat up? Say from start to 1950F? The one I own now takes 3+ hours to reach 1950F, and it just bugs the heck outta me.

Ed... I can't give you an answer to that. I've only been working with 1080 and 1095, so the highest I've ramped it up to is 1500F. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get there... I've never timed it closely.

Erin

Heat times

I have the small Sugar Creek kiln 110v and it takes about two hours to reach 1950 and the company claims the 220v large model takes about one hour to reach 1950. Paragon told me once that heating elements get old & weak and that will make a furnace heat up slower.
Take care,
Sampson Knifeworks

Back