Intro

John T Wylie Jr.

Rockstar and ACE vBulletin troubleshooter
How rude of me , I never introduced myself , though I see many names here from other knife forums.

Married 20 years to a woman I have known since I was 7 , have 3 awesome sons.

Been making knives since 2005 , don't make as many as I wish I could , usually I send 2 batches of blades out to Paul Bos a year , so I would estimate around 30-40 knives per year . I do keep some 1095 around to HT myself , so that I can make sole authorship stuff.

I started making my own leather sheaths , since Gary Graley don't do fixed blade ;)

Recently started messing with slipjoints , none finished yet ( including the trapper Kit Carson made and sent to me to finish....if you are reading this KIT I am working on it ! ).

My 1,100 sq ft shop has a Bader BIII , 2 floor production drill presses , 2 blast cabinets , a couple 1x42 belt sanders , 4x36 belt sander , 9" reversible disk , 7 HP compressor ,HF metalcutting band saw , HF Mini Mill ( just got it , haven't milled anything yet ) , 2 brick forge with a propane forge still being built , also have a separate leather working room . There is a Index 55 mill in the shop , owned by a neighbor , and an old Davis 14x40 lathe owed by the same neighbor.

My other hobbies include shooting ( enjoy full auto a lot ) , archery , digital photography , watching anything racing related and doing stuff with my 3 sons.

Old picture of the shop , taken when I was replacing the roof on the house:
shop.jpg

Yup , its a mess....sometimes more than others:
shop8.jpg

Homebrew reversible disk setup:
wip_20090728_0319.jpg

notice the mandatory archery straw bales outside the shop , that is part of my 20 - 30 yard practice range.
shop9.jpg

Indeed the leather room is just as messy
shop14.jpg

I have had a few local guys over to the shop , my best bro Tim comes over as do a couple others , heck even Neil Blackwood graced my shop with his presence one evening during shop , as did Jens Anso.

Anyone in town for the Vegas Knife Show in January or SHOT show give me a holler......if you look closely sometimes during the knife show you can see Les George pop out of my trunk ;)

You need a Roofer!!huh1 Wait, We went through this already Right John:bud::D

I could easily love you without even personally meeting you! John your shop organization, to use perhaps a more upgrade word is like mine. Everything is handy as can be as long as my memory doesn't fail. Sorry but I don't do pictures yet anyway. Welcome. Frank

I did...oh yeah , that's right...I forgot. I make you the same offer as last year bud.... just holler.

Thanks Frank...my shop is " organized chaos - i know exactly where everything is ....eventually "

Hi John. I'm thinking you should relocate the trash basket. Some trash is migrating into your tool box. Nice man cave.

Bruce.... that is my ancient interlocking system of storage...everything has it's proper place , though none of it is in it ;)

You should see how clean the shop is now....

got down to about 28 degree's here last night....water line burst in the wall. Came home tonight to find water everywhere inside the shop , including a soaking wet mini-will.

I hate cold weather.

Is that why you only come back home to Pennsylvania in the summertime? (BOG)

Yup , that is it. Though I did come back for my father in laws funeral a few years ago , in December , flew into Cleveland and drove to McK in a blizzard. Growing up , and with dad owning a Arctic Cat and and Arctic Panther , snow was fun. When I had to go to work for a living in it ( auto body repair ) , it became a nuisance , and rust sucks.

A few years back here in Vegas , dad and I hit the junkyard on $20 any part day , I removed an entire exhaust system on a 66' Lincoln from the manifolds to the exhaust tips , with open end wrenches . No busted bolts , busted nuckles , no rust. Sure can't do that in PA ;) Nevada....dry and hot , well except now , more like cold and dry ( unless you are in the shop where the humidity level is currently about 80% ).

Got 22 floor fans and 4 de-humidifiers running in the shop now , these will run for the next 2 or 3 days , called these guys and they showed up fast !

Back