Kentucky Knifemakers

We got the ball rolling now! The Kentucky Knifemakers website is up and has 11 knifemakers a 1 associate listed. That's 19% of the 59 names that I have. Not bad for being up less than a week.

I sent out a blast email to everyone that I had an email address for so if you have already responded and then got my email, I'm not trying to be a pest, I just sent it to the whole list.

There are 20 makers that I don't have a email address for inculding 8 that I have no contact information at all other than a name so I'll be trying to track them down and let them know about it.

Thanks everybody. I am excited tht we at least have this much working. Now I need to get something worked out for us to get together in the spring.

Mike
It was good to talking to you the other night. I cant thank you enough for taking care of the website, it is good to start to put faces with the names. (except for that JD fella, what a mug;):))

Mike
It was good to talking to you the other night. I cant thank you enough for taking care of the website, it is good to start to put faces with the names. (except for that JD fella, what a mug;):))

He's got those cool shades on because he's afraid we will recognize him and follow him to his secret fishing hole. :)

shknLOL...nope! Future's so bright I've gotta wear shades.:bud:

Actually they are prescription shades. I have to wear um when I'm in the sun cause I suck at welding. LOL

Besides, that's 1 of only 2 known pictures in existence of me. And the other one is really scary! ;~)

Oh, that's my 1972 Bear Super Kodiak posing with me. Love that thing.

The site is looking great Mike. You da man!

Just out of curiosity, What are the criteria for joining this Organization?

Plus I figured this could use a bump.

While I am in no way near the quality of you all. I thought I would show my first two knives, so perhaps you could offer some tips/suggestions.

015-1.jpg

And my "Nessie" as she looked before the shipping to Peters' Heat Treat.

Nessmuk002dressedup.jpg

Nice job on your first knives. Warning: This Knifemaking stuff is addictive!

At this point there is no organization to join but if and when there is it will be open to any Kentucky Knifemaker. Maybe open to others outside Kentucky too but the main purpose of the idea is to promote Kentucky Knifemakers and possibly tap into the state's tourism and promotional resources.

One of the main benefits to us as knifemakers besides advertising and promotion would be to get together occasionally and share ideas and work together for the common good. Maybe somewhere down the road we can do a show featuring Kentucky Knifemakers.

I am still trying to find a good place for us to gather for a hammer-in type meeting in the next month or two but I have been covered up with other things latlely. I have had the offer of one location that would be great but very limited in the number of people we could accomodate. I need to follow up on a couple of other leads.

Nice job on your first knives. Warning: This Knifemaking stuff is addictive!I KNOW!!!:eek: :D

At this point there is no organization to join but if and when there is it will be open to any Kentucky Knifemaker. Maybe open to others outside Kentucky too but the main purpose of the idea is to promote Kentucky Knifemakers and possibly tap into the state's tourism and promotional resources.

One of the main benefits to us as knifemakers besides advertising and promotion would be to get together occasionally and share ideas and work together for the common good. Maybe somewhere down the road we can do a show featuring Kentucky Knifemakers.

I am still trying to find a good place for us to gather for a hammer-in type meeting in the next month or two but I have been covered up with other things latlely. I have had the offer of one location that would be great but very limited in the number of people we could accomodate. I need to follow up on a couple of other leads.

I may not be young in years, but I am young in Knife making. It would be good for someone like me to just sit around,sit down out of the way, shut my trap and just listen to what all you guys, my "Elders" have to say!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

I'm from Rumsey which is in McLean county. Sorry it took me so long to get on here but between my job and knifemaking I don't have a whole lotta time.

Let's get together!

Kentucky Knifemaker guys and gals and wannabe knifemakers, let's see if this works for anybody.

Our local knife collector club, the Kentucky Cutlery Association, is holding their annual knife show at the Paroquet Springs Conference Center in Shepherdsville, KY April 24-25, 2010. They have a separate conference room we can use. If it's just a few of us and it's a pretty day we can also use the gazeebo out back.

I just got off the phone with the show chairman, Jerry Bodner, and they would love to have us meet at the show.

This is a first-rate modern facility right off of I-65 exit 117 about 20 miles south of Louisville, KY. There is lots of free parking, a Country Inn Suites Hotel right next to the conference center and several other hotels (including Super 8 and Best Western) and restaurnats in the immediate vicinity. I think there are campgrounds nearby if anyone is planning to RV or camp.

The knife show is about 100-150 tables and a mix of antique knives, new factory knives and custom knives. If anyone wants a table at the show they still have some available at $75 for a sales table or $15 for a display only table. Show admission is free but they do ask for a donation to the Crusade For Children. I will be very honest and say that we have had some good knife shows there in the past in terms of the quailty of the vendors but we have never been able to draw a big crowd. That is partly due to this being in a small town and it is put on by a small local club with little or no advertising budget.

This looks to me like our best opportunity for a spring get together. So, what do you guys think? We can meet and greet and see a knife show.

There are a couple of things we will need to take into consideration:

1. If some of us want to have a table at the show, we would probably have to have any sit-down meetings or tech sessions Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon after the show rather than take people away from their tables.

2. I'll need to know if anyone would like to do any kind demonstartion, presentation or seminar so we can figure how to schedule and accomodate it. If it is a forging or grinding demo that needs to be outside I think we can handle that as there is lots of parking lot space around the building.

Check you calendars and let me know as soon as you can if this works for you.

I am going to start another thread just to provide event details and keep a list of who will be attending.

Feel free to post here or there as you see fit but the I will keep updating the the first post in the other thread with a running list of attendees.

just wanted to say hi and that i'm a KY boy from Phelps, in Pike County :) just now learning to forge...my intro is in the intro forum on here, and I'm also a member on the Usual Suspects...

Hello and welcome h0tr0d. I see from from your profile that you are into Bowies. I like you already. :D

Come on over and see us in Shepherdsville April 24-25 if you can. Also remeber that you can take advantage of a free listing on http://www.kentuckyknifemakers.com if you wish.

We have at least one on other knifemaker from your neck of the woods hanging around here.

I would love to, but I'll be shooting competitively for my unit on the 24-25 at Ft. Knox.

Thanks Mike, if I get a free chance, I'll do my best to come up that way that Sat. evening after the matches are over.

So, did this guild idea ever come to fruition? I would be honored to participate. I am Geoffrey Bosmann from Midway, Kentucky. I don't produce anything at the caliber that this group is used to, but I am working to get there. My profile has some photos of my work. Thanks for your consideration.

Back