Kentucky Knifemakers

Thanks Ricky. I actually thought of Charles Clifton the other day and then forgot to add him to the list.

That brings the list to 56 knifemakers! Who woulda thunk it.

Sean, looking forward to your PM and call. Thanks for your help (and everyone else too).

I think you're headed the right way with our KKG organizational structure Mike. And yep, I recognize the structure from the KM guild. lol

I think you're right. It's a dang good starting place. I also think if we keep it simple, clear and concise it will serve to induce more makers and associates to participate. There are only a couple places that the KM guild's regs are a little murky for a dumb old country boy like me to understand. We can clear up that language a bit and make 'um even better. But I'm guessing you already know what I'm talking about.

And if we are going to go this way, I might suggest Affiliate Membership rather than Non Resident membership. Might give us a way to form affiliations with other chapters like New England and Georgia Guilds. It would give guys in those organizations another outlet, give us another promotional outlet and we get to have guys like Karl associated with our guild.

This way we are not just another open guild trying to compete with The Knife Markers Guild and ABS. Which...by the way, Karl is a member and soon to be Master Smith of.

Oh, great to see you over here on Dogs Karl.

I like the way we're headed guys. We can get this done. Like Mike, I'm surprised by how many makers there are in the state. And I'd bet there are a lot of collectors and suppliers that would love to be associated with this.

Can't wait to get signed on the dotted line. ;~)

JD, I like the Affiliate Membership.

We don't need to be as complicated as the Knifemakers Guild as they serve a different purpose. Our membership qualifications will be simpler and we would not function as much as mediators. I'm all for keeping it as simple as possible while at the same time trying to think through our needs and address as much as I can up front.

In no way do I intend to compete with the KMG, ABS or any other group. In fact, I think these groups can all compliment each other and I would strongly encourage cross promotion and cooperative effforts.

Karl, you bring up a very good point and if/when we get organized it's one that we need to address right from the get-go. I have kind of taken the lead on trying to get an organization together but I feel it must be organized according to the wishes of the majority of the participants.

The question of allowing "outsiders" to join the Kentucky Knifemakers Guild is one I don't know how to address. It seems deceptive to promote a group of Kentucky artists and craftsmen if some of the members are not from Kentucky.

I hate to exclude anyone and I know there are a lot of very talented knifemakers in every surrounding state including southern Indiana which is only about 10 minutes from my house.

In my opinion, for a show, the more the better. But for the Kentucky Knifemakers Guild, if it does come to be ... I don't know.

How do the others feel about it?

That's what should be discussed more - the NAME "Kentucky Knifemaker's Guild" does NOT mean that the members can ONLY be from Kentucky!
It's just that the HOME of the guild is in Kentucky.
I think it would be quite detrimental from the get-go to limit membership - you need all the forward motion you can get. You need momentum.
There's a zillion other Guilds out there and maybe contact them to see what they do. I know I was asked to join the South African Knife Maker's Guild and I don't even live on the same continent!
Look how many "foreigners" are members of the "AMERICAN" Bladesmith Society. And they're not American.
You should accept and welcome members, no matter where they are from, or you'll get hard feelings from those you do not include.

....In no way do I intend to compete with the KMG, ABS or any other group. In fact, I think these groups can all compliment each other and I would strongly encourage cross promotion and cooperative effforts.

Thar ya go...I knew that's what you were thinking, but I think it's important that we make it plain by the way we are organized, by our bylaws and the by the public face we present that that's what we are all about.

We want our organization to represent Kentucky knife makers, supporters and traditions first, but also be an advocate for and partner of other makers and their guilds. That's how we'll get the most benefit.

In my opinion anyway.

There's a zillion other Guilds out there...

Oh, and Karl. Never a truer statement has been made. LOL

But that's what we are trying to avoid being. There is a long history of frontiersmen and frontier craftsmen in Kentucky that has never be properly exploited. That's what we are trying to tap into.

The ghost of Daniel Boone. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of D Boone. You guys should see the logo Mike was working on, it's exactly on the theme I think would be appropriate for Kentucky knifemakers.

Speaking of D Boone. You guys should see the logo Mike was working on, it's exactly on the theme I think would be appropriate for Kentucky knifemakers.

I was working on this for the website. I was already thinking of playing up the pioneering spirit angle with Kentuckians like Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, George Rogers Clark and Jim Bowie.

KYknifemakers.jpg

Great start Mike. I've been thinking about the guild logo too.

You've got the right idea. Something simple and easily recognizable is going to be the most effective. All the elements are there. And thats pretty much exactly the elements I thought would be good to include in a guild logo.

The Kentucky shape is of course a must. The coonskin hat is as identifiable with Ol Daniel or Davey as the state shape. And of course the Bowie speaks for it's self.

I might suggest adding an old style brass sextant or transit to the upper left to reflect Clark's persona might be appropriate. Maybe a broken trail line, like on old parchment maps running out of the west end of the state up under the sextant. You know, to kind of reflect the trail breaking thing.

Might try it. May be too busy...but maybe not?

Les is right. Looks like all those hours playing with photoshop are paying off. ;~)

Mike add another KY knifemaker. Samuel Stoner from Scottsville. He is an Amish Knifemaker. He runs a full Machine shop using horses for power. I was so amazed.
I am going back to see him this week. Take him some books from my library.

Mike add another KY knifemaker. Samuel Stoner from Scottsville. He is an Amish Knifemaker. He runs a full Machine shop using horses for power. I was so amazed.
I am going back to see him this week. Take him some books from my library.

How cool is that! I would love to see his shop.

I have launched the Kentucky Knifemakers website. Either http://www.kentuckyknifemakers.com or http://www.kyknifemakers.com will take you there. My goal is for this to be a central directory for Kentucky knifemakers and hopefully provide information that will help promote us, our own websites and sales.

Kentucky knifemakers can be listed for free. I have paid for the website and domain names. I will donate my time to create the web pages and maintain the site. I decided not to charge anything for being listed or your own web page on the site but if anyone feels it is worth it and wants to donate a few bucks toward the maintenance of the site it would be appreciated.

I have already added myself, Cliff Fendley and Gil Hibben so you can get an idea of what your page would look like. You can provide as much or as little information as you would like. I really suggest that you submit a picture of yourself and some of your knives. I think people like to see who they are dealing with as well as the kind of work they do.

Take a look and let me know what you think. I welcome suggestions and ideas. I hope this is a first step toward us working as a group to help promote Kentucky craftsmen. Once we get the website built up a bit I will see about getting it linked to some state tourism sites and other artist craftsmen sites.

If you want to be listed please send your information and pictures to mike@cartercrafts.com

That's pretty cool Mike. Simple, informative and rustic. Kind of a Kentucky flavor to it. ;~)

Mike. The site looks great. 2thumbs Can you send me information on contributing to the maintenance of the site please.

Bennie

C'mon guys and girls, lets get some more names up on the KY Knifemaker website. If nothing else it's free advertising!

I don't want to list anybody without their premission and I need the knifemakers information to be posted. If you already have a website, or have pictures posted somewhere on the web , I can copy pictures and information from there with your permission.

I am not doing this to make money and I have set it up completely separate from my business website. I just want to help promote KY knifemakers as a group and help people find us. It is suprising how many KY makers I have found recently that I had never heard of. Some have been making knives for decades. Let's get the word out that we are knifemakers.

I'll be sending my info along soon too Mike.

Thought I'd get a chance this weekend, but I've just been covered up the last couple days.

I'll get it together first of the week and get it to ya. I appreciate all the effort you've put into this. I think it's gonna be a great resource.

sounds great to me I'd be interested in this as long as it's not too far I'm in Benton western Ky near Paducah we have the lakes here with alot of tourism i n the summer months and we have quite a few resorts in the area

Welcome sqmtino,

I'm just over the other side of the lakes. Passed through Benton a couple weeks ago. Didn't know there was another knife maker this far west in Kentucky. Cool!

Back