Kimmi's Cutlery Photos

I finished this paring knife tonight for a give away at our church's annual Luau. It's AEB-L with dyed maple burl for the handle.

I also got the handle for the chef knife sanded and started putting oil on it. I think it will pass.

I’m a sucker for Koa anyway, but that is incredible!

I am way behind on posting knife photos here, but I have to post these of a new model gut hook knife. As soon as things slow down, I will get this thread updated with some of the knives I made before these.

These are all out of .118" AEB-L, one with stabilized koa, one with walnut burl and the last with desert ironwood. The one with ironwood is the first that I have finished with Tru-oil. I was both surprised and impressed with how it finished.

Normally, I use a dremel type tool to grind the gut hooks in, but on these I used a 1/2" small wheel on my grinder. I will be doing them this way from now on.

As I set here recovering from neck surgery, I figured now would be a good time to get this thread updated with photos. I'm close to 100 knives behind, so I'll just hit highlights from the past year.

These were a bunch I made for an Octoberfest craft show that I went to along with my daughter who set up with her jewelry.

Here is a new model that I call the "Critter". It is AEB-L with Koa.

A couple kitchen knives with koa and curly maple bolsters.

Here is my first Freedom model out of S35-VN with Koa and cherry red G-10 liners.

Here's another Freedom model out of 1095 with a Hamon and spalted maple burl. I donated this to the KS hunting and fishing facebook page for a drawing and it has generated a lot of orders.

This one was started when an old high school buddy contacted me to see if he could bring his son by to visit the shop. He is interested in knife making and wanted to see how it was done. While here, we started forging this blade out. After they left, my buddy contacted me and wanted to know if I could finish the knife for his son as a Christmas present.

The blade is 1075 with Hamon, wrought iron guard with blue and white G-10 spacers and a hedge handle.

Gene - Those are nice! Hope the surgery went well and the healing even better. You should be back in the shop in no time. 100 knives behind is quite the task.

Gene - Those are nice! Hope the surgery went well and the healing even better. You should be back in the shop in no time. 100 knives behind is quite the task.

Thanks Dennis. The surgery went well, now I just have to keep myself from overdoing it. I’m not used to setting around much.
I should have stated it better, I have close to 100 knives I haven’t posted pictures of yet.

Last summer, my in-laws rented a cabin in Estes Park, Colorado for the whole family to vacation in for a week. While there, I had the idea of making a couple Christmas presents for them in the theme of a cabin/Colorado. I brought a piece of firewood back, dried it and had it stabilized to make a handle out of. I also bought some elk antler to use for handles.

I made a kitchen knife for my mother in law with the stabilized firewood for the handle, and a curly maple saya. On the saya, I had a picture of a cabin laser engraved on it and on the back side, all the kids and grandkids signed their names.

For my father in law, I made a san mai blade with 1095 and some wrought iron he gave me that came from his family farm that has been in the family for almost 100 years. I used elk antler for the handle, wrought iron for the guard and a piece of the stabilized firewood for a pommel.

My cabinet shop is located in a small town, population 275. On one side is a cafe and the other a bake shop that sells noon meals. When this virus hit, both had to shut down for a while, then open with limited seating. I decided to make a chef's knife to raffle with all proceeds split between the 2 businesses. For every $5 donation, a person got a chance to win. The participation was so overwhelming, I added another knife to the drawing. When the drawing was finished, almost $2100 in donations had been made, which helped both businesses tremendously.

Both knives were AEB-L with turquoise dyed maple handles, curly maple bolsters and tiffany blue liners and spacers.

I liked these knives so much that I had to make one for myself too.

My cabinet shop is located in a small town, population 275. On one side is a cafe and the other a bake shop that sells noon meals. When this virus hit, both had to shut down for a while, then open with limited seating. I decided to make a chef's knife to raffle with all proceeds split between the 2 businesses. For every $5 donation, a person got a chance to win. The participation was so overwhelming, I added another knife to the drawing. When the drawing was finished, almost $2100 in donations had been made, which helped both businesses tremendously.

Both knives were AEB-L with turquoise dyed maple handles, curly maple bolsters and tiffany blue liners and spacers.

I like what you did, very cool and thoughtful.

You, sir, are an inspiration! Wow, what a great collection of artistry.

If my KITH knife will help locals on next raffle, please use it. I would be honored to help locals during these times. You are the type of person who I strive to be, thank you!

Back when this virus hit, I designed 4 new models that I call the Covid Series. My plan was to get a set of all 4 finished before I sold any, but I had a couple guys who wanted one of the Survival knives, so I sold one as a completed blank that the customer will put handles on and this one I just finished.

This one is .200" thick AEB-L with a tapered tang and spalted maple burl for the handle.

Just got a couple photos back from Jocelyn Frasier. She did a wonderful job editing these for me.

The first one is a 4" Hunter out of twist damascus with walnut burl for the handle.
The second is my Freedom model out of the same damascus with Ironwood scales. The background on this photo is a picture of a Kansas sunset I took this past summer. I don't think you can get much better of a combo. The scales on both are heirloom fit.

Just got this photo edit back from Caleb Royer of my gut hook model. It’s out of a 69 layer twist damascus with customer supplied rosewood for the handle. I think this is the best damascus I have made. It came out so clean and even. I believe the rounding die I used before twisting helped with that.

Back