Kitchen knives you have built

JAG

OK Dogs, I ordered up some 3/32 440C, 6 inch wide so I can make a couple of chefs knives. I am curious about grinding a chefs knife, should I grind it on the flat platen or slack belt for a convex grind? I really want to see some kitchen knives that you guy's have made. If you've made one, please post some pics in this thread!! Let's see it!!2thumbs

Here is a set that I make a lot of. I give them as wedding presents to family & friends and have sold a few as well. I use a flat grind. The smaller one is 3/32" & the larger one is 1/8".

Attachments

• Kitchen set 800 x 600.jpg
    Kitchen set 800 x 600.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 85
A chef's knife, properly used, is never held by the handle like you might hold a skinner or a fighter. The blade is pinched between the thumb and first two fingers (curled) in front of where a bolster might be. The third and fourth fingers are wrapped around the handle. This not only allows the user to hold a balanced knife but also allows for much better control of where the blade goes - kind of important when it comes to fine slicing or dicing I always keep this in mind when making a chef's knife.

Here's one I made from 1/8" 154cm. My advice is with 3/32" stock, to grind it AFTER heat treating. Chances are very good that if you grind before heat treating, your gona be fighting a "WARP MONSTER" I did a convex grind on this one, and it worked out well. In the future I will likely go with 3/32" stock too....grinding a 1/8" chunk of 154, that has been hardened is WORK. :)

ChefsKnifeleftside.jpg

Here's one of the Chef's knives that I do occasionally.. 8 1/2" blade of cpm154..

Attachments

• 000_0547.jpg
    000_0547.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 83
Here's my chef's knife when it was bright and new. Started with 3/16 A2, the spine at the handle is now about 5/32 flat ground with substantial distal taper.

Attachments

• First Chef 1.jpg
    First Chef 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 84
Here are a few that I have made in the past.

Yanagiba 52100 for the backside and cutting edge, wrought Iron for the front side and tang

standard.jpg

My own home made steel with a water quench( oh no I wasn't scared)

standard.jpg

52100 and curly Koa.

standard.jpg

the yanage is .187 at the spine where it goes into the handle with a full distal taper. the other two are .097 and .105 respectively with full distal taper. the first is a traditional grind for this type of knife and the others have full convex grinds to zero edge.

One of my 6" chefs with Sambar stag and cpm 154
Stan

Attachments

• IMGP0139.jpg
    IMGP0139.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 37
Wow!! Nice work Dogs! Thanks for the tip Ed! You guys rock! Keep the pics coming!

Last edited:
Here's one I made for my sister. She is a professional cook. It's based off a Thai cook's knife. I've gotten good reviews on it's performance so far. There's a bigger version I just finished made for chopping. Maybe I'll get some pics of it this weekend.

Here are the specs:
Length: 10.25"
Blade: 5.75
Steel: 440C cryo treated
Handles: Blue G10 with white and black liners & mosaic pins

Thai_Cook_1.jpg

Hey, Cool thread! 2thumbs
Heres one I did with a convex grind in 1095..

Attachments

• hhh chef knife 011.jpg
    hhh chef knife 011.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 28
  • hhh chef knife 033.jpg
    hhh chef knife 033.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 28
This is my first, and only, attempt at a kitchen knife so far. I posted photos a few weeks back in THIS THREAD.

4677442174_752c714d3c_b.jpg

4677442358_ea26e38021_b.jpg

The blade was flat ground on my KMG platen.

Erin

Here is a damascus chef knife I finished last night. It is made from my second billet of damascus steel. It started out as a dog star pattern but that was distorted because I had to do more forging than anticipated to get the profile.

damscuschef1.jpg

damscuschef3.jpg

damscuschef2.jpg

Well, I'm a little ashamed to put mine up with the others in this thread.....

I went in a totally different design direction than the others.
440C with Corian handle. It's a poor picture to boot...oh well.

Attachments

• Knivesx 011.jpg
    Knivesx 011.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 34
my largest chef knife. i REALLY enjoyed making this knife! i have two more on my bench now! grind will be different, but i truly LOVED making this knife!

Attachments

• 100_1897.JPG
    100_1897.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 32
These are not made as kitchen knives, but that's what they were before they were imported here from Europe in the 18th c. These are copies of trade knives for the Indians and colonists, and were imported as scalping knives for North America. The grips are European boxwood, the blades are 3/32" 01 with distal tapered blades and tapered half tangs. The first is English, the second French.

pennyknife765_640x480.jpg

pennyknife714_640x480.jpg

Here are my latest ones:
First pic is 9" black-maple burl D2 Chefs knives (0.1" thick) and second pic is green maple burl pair. Small one is RWL-34, Bigger one is AEB-L and both are 1.5 mm (~0.06") thick...

Attachments

• DSC04092 (Large).jpg
    DSC04092 (Large).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04068 (Large).jpg
    DSC04068 (Large).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back