Knife steel for the saltwater?

verrocchio100

So fellas which blade steel would you recommend for a folder or fixed blade spending time in and around saltwater? I would prefer the folder as personal preference.

My weekend job requires I spend a good portion of time on a fishing boat cutting various soft items/rope/cardboard/twine etc.

Can't really baby the blade for 48-72 hours while I'm working so I am looking for a something low maintenance that won't rust the blade shut and still retaining a fairly decent edge.

Been looking thru AKS and my head hurts by all the numbers and info. But I am looking for some real work experience/suggestions.

Thanks!

This is a prime example of what I refer to "Give-N-Take" in knifemaking.....you always must give up something, in order to get something else. It will be up to you to decide just what is most important to you. Even "stainless" steels will tarnish/rust when exposed to a severe environment such as salt water.....just not to the degree that carbon/alloy steels would.
For short duration like you've mentioned, anything such as CPM154, S35VN, or just about any of the other "stainless steels" would be adequate from the standpoint of resisting corrosion/rust....provided they are properly heat treated, the edges will be "serviceable"..... the only area that MIGHT be an issue is if you have to sharpen them......very often folks have difficulty sharpening those steels that contain higher amounts of chromium (which is what makes them "stainless") I've been carrying a knife with an S35VN blade for a few weeks now.....it's a bit disappointing to me in that it just does not attain the same super sharp edge that I'm used to with carbon/alloy steels, and it is a pain to resharpen compared to carbon/alloy steels. On the "up" side, it looks the same as it did when I start carrying it......no tarnish or corrosion......so you see, it's forced me to give up a few things, in order to gain others.

S35VN,CPM 154,heck even good old 440-C will all work well in a salt water enviorment.A folder with Ti liners G-10 scales and a blade of any of those steels should serve you well.
Stan

Hey thanks fellas!

Given the shorter time frame which I would spend around the salt, I have the weekdays to deal with the maintenance.

That being said, Ed you're right; I fully realize there's a give and take there.

Corrosion resistance it top priority, followed closely by edge retention and then toughness.

I through toughness into the mix because at times, I need to use the knife for other than cutting.

Prying open bottles, stripping wire, etc

I can't quote the number but I know that Sandvik makes a stainless steel specifically for salt water blades.

The line up mentioned of 440C CPM-154 & CPM-S35VN would be/Are my choices. With 440C leading because of being easier to sharpen than the other two

Stainless does take a bit more work But I have had great results sharpening these steels as sharp as the carbon steels. The trick for me is to use a slack belt or padded sandpaper and get a full convexed edge.

The increased density of the steel behind the edge gives a much stronger edge.
That will hold up to the chores that come with boat work.

The ironic thing about our wonderful planet is that the salt content in the Blood of most mammals is 3%
Which is about the same percentage in Ocean water.

So for Hunters and butchers tools 440C or the other two are usually my choice as well.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Elmax. It has excellent corrosion resistance, edge holding and it's incredibly tough. My first choice for a hard use stainless blade.

I agree with all the others. Starting with 440C and all the other high carbon stainless steels, will do what you are asking. And they will all corrod some. After all it is stainless not stainliss. As SBuzek said ti liners g-10 handels,and a fresh water rinse at the end of the day a drop of oil now and again. think you will be good to go for a long time. Darryl

Im a big believer in CPM154 ive had real good luck around water. Ive never been near the sea much so I cant say but I spend lots of time out at our local lakes my knives dont ever need to be oiled. Kellyw

The line up mentioned of 440C CPM-154 & CPM-S35VN would be/Are my choices. With 440C leading because of being easier to sharpen than the other two

Stainless does take a bit more work But I have had great results sharpening these steels as sharp as the carbon steels. The trick for me is to use a slack belt or padded sandpaper and get a full convexed edge.

The increased density of the steel behind the edge gives a much stronger edge.
That will hold up to the chores that come with boat work.

The ironic thing about our wonderful planet is that the salt content in the Blood of most mammals is 3%
Which is about the same percentage in Ocean water.

So for Hunters and butchers tools 440C or the other two are usually my choice as well.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

+1 I agree. Maybe i should consider Elmax to. :)

Seved

Im a big believer in CPM154 ive had real good luck around water. Ive never been near the sea much so I cant say but I spend lots of time out at our local lakes my knives dont ever need to be oiled. Kellyw

CPM-154 is really close to 440C only it's a powder metal. I've only go things to say about it too!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Back