Knives for Servicemen-Maker input wanted

KnifeKits.com has a lot of folder kits that would meet there needs I would think one of the $20-30 knifes if build right would far exceed the quality of the knife's at the PX or other department stores.

Justin and I spoke this afternoon and we were discussing ways of identifying individual service members who may be in need of a quality knife. Does anyone currently have a friend or family member who might be or be in the preperation phase of heading "down range"?

I forgot to mention when we spoke, my wife's friend has a son who is deployed (and carrying a knife with my name on it:biggrin:) . I am not sure what contacts he has over there but will see if we can get in touch with him.

KnifeKits.com has a lot of folder kits that would meet there needs I would think one of the $20-30 knifes if build right would far exceed the quality of the knife's at the PX or other department stores.

Linville Knife and Tool also has some very reasonably priced and sturdy kits/finished folders.
I've picked up a couple folder kits from LKT (Tim Britton),and was fairly happy with the quality for the price.

Last edited:
I'm willing to help but my equipmnent for grinding is super slow. can help with handles are putting together kits. I met a young man the other day that is deploying with in the next 8 months and commited to build one for him. Was thinking about something on the larger side untill I read the post from Murph and Rock guess I need to scale it down a little

God Bless
Rodney

Got an email this morning from the Airmen/Firefighters that I sent the knives to last week. That box must have been smokin' when it arrived, I just sent it a few days ago. Just knowing the package made it there is cool, but the gratitude these guys show at this kind of support makes me feel like a million bucks.
Anyway, I just wanted to pass that on and bump this thread up for some weekend viewing. I am hoping that we will have something moving on this idea soon and if nothing else I am going to try to get something in motion on my own.
I want to thank everyone who has shown an interest in this.

Not a maker but surely a buyer... If I or people like me can help, I would buy a knife for a soldier.
Heck I could do a Knife / Cigar / Movie / care package.
PM me and I'll see what I can do to help
YKW

I've had the opportunity to make contact with First Sergeants of a couple of mobilizing units from Idaho and Montana who are heading "down range" soon. I explained to them that I was a member of an organization which would like to give moral support to selected soldiers who could use a boost. It seems that each of the 1SGs I met with have a qualifying soldier or two. One of them has two soldiers who are unmarried and whose families are all deceased, where as the other has a soldier who is 19 yrs old and is the primary bread winner for his parents and siblings.

I do not yet have further details on the above mentioned soldiers, but I have contact information for each of the First Sergeants. I have told each of them that I would be in touch in the near future in order to request possible needs or desires for each of the soldiers so that we may put together a package or two for them.

Guys, you know how I am when it comes to military. I'm a 12 year Navy vet, so I will do what I can. Just ask.

Thanks for the update, Murph. There is still no general game plan for this yet, I guess that part is on me. I will be out of town over the weekend and into next week, after I get back I may make a few bars of steel or blanks availible to a few guys who want to make, or work on, a knife for this.

Last edited:
I’ll throw in some supplies Justin SS tube, SS Colby Bolts, green canvas Micarta. PM me with your address I’ll have the stuff drop shipped to you place then you can send it with the steel.

I’ll throw in some supplies Justin SS tube, SS Colby Bolts, green canvas Micarta. PM me with your address I’ll have the stuff drop shipped to you place then you can send it with the steel.

I appreciate the offer, but I would rather if you would hang on to them for now. I am going to be out of town into next week and don't want to have packages sitting on my doorstep while I am away. We are also in the infantile planning stages and I don't want to be holding someone else's donated material until I know where it is going.
I want to thank everyone again who has shown an interest in helping this effort.

Justin and Murph, if you guys want to start some sort of build for this, I will do the cutting. We need input for the design of the knife and what materials to be used. I have some materials here, but it may not be the right stuff for this project. Maybe Aldo will chip in steel. Maybe Brad at Peter's Heat Treat will do his goodness. I'll make some calls for all of this, but there needs to be a place to start. I will leave that to you guys. Just update me as we go.

Thank you very much for your offer, Dave. Murph and myself are looking into possibilities for the materials. I do not want any one participant to shoulder too much of the burden here and your offer is more than generous so let us see what we can come up with and go from there.
I am open to the design of the knife, so we can put that subject up for open discussion. I have a couple of designs we could use but am not trying to push my own here so if anyone has a design they would like to offer up lets see it! There has been at least one offered up already in this thread and it looks good to me. Any more?

Both Murph's and Big Smitty's look good, if they were waterjet cut you could have some of the new makers help with the grinding and assembly. Depending on the thickness and type of steel you might even be able to have them heat treated then send them to someone to finish the grinding and assembly. You may even want to consider a mark that says something like Knife's for solders Knife Dog's or ????? something that identifies the forum. Let me know what you need and I'll provide what support I can.

Thanks to Aldo's generosity we now have some 3/16" A2 steel to get this going with. I decided on A2 on the fly because it is easy to work and the heat treat is predictable. I can do the HT for at least some of the makers who do a build, assuming they cannot do it themselves and that we don't come up with a better option by then.
We now need to come to a consensus on the design. I am inclined to go with something in the neighborhood of 8-10" in length, this seems to be a practical size for the areas that most of our our guys are operating in. Both Murph's and Big Smitty's designs fit this bill. If anyone else has a design to throw out, now is the time. I am leaving town tomorrow for several days and may not have internet so if we can come to a decision before then I will pony the shipping costs to get everything on it's way to Dave for cutting.
I also have a pattern for the knife pictured below, which is 10" overall.
Vote?
midservicemod 038 (2).jpg

Well I guess its time people start putting some ideas to paper. Draw what you think would be a good design and post a pic of it here.

Thanks to Aldo's generosity we now have some 3/16" A2 steel to get this going with. I decided on A2 on the fly because it is easy to work and the heat treat is predictable. I can do the HT for at least some of the makers who do a build, assuming they cannot do it themselves and that we don't come up with a better option by then.
We now need to come to a consensus on the design. I am inclined to go with something in the neighborhood of 8-10" in length, this seems to be a practical size for the areas that most of our our guys are operating in. Both Murph's and Big Smitty's designs fit this bill. If anyone else has a design to throw out, now is the time. I am leaving town tomorrow for several days and may not have internet so if we can come to a decision before then I will pony the shipping costs to get everything on it's way to Dave for cutting.
I also have a pattern for the knife pictured below, which is 10" overall.
Vote?
View attachment 15792

That’s a great design how do you think it would look with a distal taper and hollow or convex grind that would leave a little more meet on it. I had a flat ground blade one time and it chipped when I tried to open an ammo crate.

Back