Knives for Servicemen-Maker input wanted

That’s a great design how do you think it would look with a distal taper and hollow or convex grind that would leave a little more meet on it. I had a flat ground blade one time and it chipped when I tried to open an ammo crate.

Dunno, maybe we will find out though. One of the things I am starting to look forward to is what different makers turn out after starting with the same blank. But we need to decide on a blank that some makers want to build, so line 'em up and let's see 'em!

carmel-scales.jpg

I will donate as many pairs of these carmel brown scales as needed if anyone is interested.

Thank you, Tracy! I/we will be in touch with you when we know who and how many. There are a lot of details to work out still but this is starting to take shape and I want to thank everyone who has shown interest, and especially those who have stepped up to get this going. I am going to volunteer to cover the initial shipping fees to get the materials where they need to go.

Hello, I have been watching this post for a few days now. I want to get in on this 4sure! This is a great way to help out or troops.

I just started doing a design we call Black Hawk.. Its a 8 1/4 inch OAL fixed. that might be good for these guys. I do it with a convex grind. but it could be done as a hollow grind for sure.. It also allows for the addition of a secondary edge depending on how ya want to grind it!

If/when we get everything figured out.. I can make a few knives no matter what design we go with. I want to make a couple. heck I can a small batch of them!
Will Someone please give me a shout when its time to start throwing sparks! IM READY!

God bless you all..
Randy

Attachments

• black hawk 007.jpg
    black hawk 007.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 30
I'll try to have a design posted tomorrow evening sometime. I just got in from the shop and have to hit the sack. I'm starting a new training lane tomorrow and have an extremely early start (0400) :(

Good Morning,
yes this is a great idea! But what are the requirements for the knife?
I have four deer hunting knives on my bench right know that need to be finished.

Good Morning,
yes this is a great idea! But what are the requirements for the knife?
I have four deer hunting knives on my bench right know that need to be finished.
We have not discussed any ridgid requirements. I would like to leave this effort as open as possible to different levels of involvement, so if you have a knife in progress that you want to build for this that is fine, it dosen't have to be a big tactical style blade. On the 2nd page of this thread there is a picture of a small utility knife that I sent over, the overall length was about 7-1/2". Some guys actually seem to prefer these smaller knives.
You are welcome to put in for one of the blanks also, if you want to do a build with one of those.

I am headed out and may not be online much for the next several days, so you fellows can hash through designs as you see fit and I will be back on when I can. Have a good weekend!

Here's a hunter/utility design I drew up last year,could be made bigger...?
WolfPup.jpg

I'm a new maker but would be happy to help in any way. Given materials I will grind/polish/assemble, contribute $ to help defray cost or given a design and suggested materials I'll do a complete build (except HT).

Hey guys, I have some different canvas and linen base micartas that I would be willing to donate. I could start with four pair of scales.

Nothing humble about that Dave!!! Really looks good. What is OAL and blade width?

Iron Wolf, that looks like a really great knife as well.

Cal I agree nothing humble obout that design it looks great.

Last edited:
I have meant to post a design, but my days keep getting shorter and shorter with the training lanes I'm working. All if my posts have been during breaks in rotations and done from my phone while in the field. I'm supposed to be down tomorrow so I will do my best to get a design posted.

Here's a hunter/utility design I drew up last year,could be made bigger...?
WolfPup.jpg

From what Rock said that looks to be about the right size, I think most of these guys just want an EDC something they can use that doesn't get in the way when they try and get in and out of vehicles or something they can slip on their belt and have it handy. I ask my sons both have had multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as medics, and they say most of the guys just need something to open boxes, cut rope or strap just general purpose stuff. Both said a big knife just gets in the way and for the most part if they aren't out on patrol their LBE just hangs on they bunks.

When I was working for North America Constructers here in North Van, building a Water Filtration facility,
I was with the Earthworks Department,(they called us groundpounders).
I was one of the main grunts,the "MacGyver" guy,doing any and everything...
My Swamp Rat HRLM was my go-to knife,often pressed into service cutting 1" banding straps off loads of pvc pipe,
scraping concrete spatter off of steel pipe walls,even being used as a sawzall!
In short,my HRLM was used very much like I imagine a soldier would need to use theirs.
If I had the means,I would make a knife as close to the HRLM as possible;
toughest danged knife I've ever (ab)used!!
HRLM specs are OAL: 9 3/16" Blade 4 3/16" Handle: 5" Width: 1 3/8" Thickness: 3/16"
SR101 steel (modded 52100)
(this is me using my HRLM and a 32 oz Eastwing framing hammer as a "sawzall" to cut grab-points into 1" plywood forms that got backfilled by accident)
SSPX0495.jpg

SSPX0496.jpg

Last edited:
Back