Liner steel question???

ZebDeming

I'm wondering what kind of steel to use for the liner in a liner lock? Should I pony up and buy the titanium, or will plain old carbon steel work? I assume that it should have a spring temper?

Thanks
Zeb

Sure carbon steel will work but it's going to rust. I use titanium(6al4v) or 410 stainless. The 410 can be heat treated to a spring temper.

One of the problems in using carbon might be finding it in the right thickness. 15N20 maybe. ...but yes, it's going to rust if not not cared for VERY well. Ti really isn't that expensive considering all the work you're going to put into a folder - and the small amount that a folder uses.

Coming from one who used 15N20 for liners....at least until I came to my senses and went to Ti........15N20 can be a nightmare, as are most carbon/alloy steel when used as liners. Of course the aforementioned rusting is an issue, but the big thing for me was/is consistency . It's very difficult to get just the "right" heat treat on 15N20 liners....and it never works the same way twice.

When folks hear the word "Titanium" they automatically think it's going to be difficult to work....it's not. It does take a bit of experience to learn it, and how it works, but once you do, it becomes very easy. My favorite characteristic about Ti is that it is always the same (consistent).

Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm not really afraid of working with titanium, I'm just kinda afraid of buying it :) Frank, thanks for the heads up on on AKS, lots of great stuff there, I'll be giving them a call for a small piece and probably a few other bits as well.

Thanks
Zeb

Back