Liner thickness

dmackey

What would you recommend as the proper thickness of a Liner. Say for a knife with a 4 1/2 handle and 3 1/4 blade. The measurement's are just kind of tossed out there to give me a reference point.

Thanks
David

I agree 0.050" is a good stating point. Depending on the design you may want to go thinker. On a couple of my wider blade I went up to 0.070" just to help with proportions and I have seen some as think as 0.100". Assuming you are talking about a liner lock, if you get over 0.050" you will want to thin the bend area of the lock to prevent cracking and making he spring to strong.

Hope this helps

I agree with .050 as a starting point. I've been using the .070 as I prefer the look and i'm also able to squeeze bearings into .070 without cutting blade pockets.

For small, "gent" style folders I use .040". For what I consider "standard" size folders, .050-.070", and for Framelock folders I use .150+". Thats in Titanium. I've used SS for liners in the past, but compared to Ti, building SS liners is a major pain.

I prefer .070" Ti as a minimum for a liner lock. I've made a few with .100" and really like it. It gives the folder a very substantial feel in your hand.

The .040" liners I've used flexed more than I liked. The .050" will work all day long also and make for a lighter knife.

Any Ti liner over .050" in thickness will probably require some relief on the lock bar to get it to take a bend decently and be able to move it with your thumb.

Back