Making rings?

SeanMK

I know, this is a knife forum, and if you need to delte or move this, im ok with that.

Do any of you knifemakers make wedding bands. I was looking at forging bands for myself and my SO, so it would be special. I would be OK with plain old blade steel, but would like something at least slightly more fancy for her.

And I have seen a cople of damascus rings, But I know only enough about forging blade steel to get me introuble, and pretty much zero about damascus.

SO I guess im looking for advice, suggestions, tips on how to , and quite possibly even a maker, that I could buy from(though that really gets away from the original intent) neither of us are the "fancy" type. so fire away.

I know, this is a knife forum, and if you need to delte or move this, im ok with that.

Do any of you knifemakers make wedding bands. I was looking at forging bands for myself and my SO, so it would be special. I would be OK with plain old blade steel, but would like something at least slightly more fancy for her.

And I have seen a cople of damascus rings, But I know only enough about forging blade steel to get me introuble, and pretty much zero about damascus.

SO I guess im looking for advice, suggestions, tips on how to , and quite possibly even a maker, that I could buy from(though that really gets away from the original intent) neither of us are the "fancy" type. so fire away.

I have thought about this too. The big problem as I see it is the damascus looks best if it is made of high carbon steels and nickel, heat treated and etched deeply to show some contrast. Most ladies I know wouldnt be happy with a plain ring but want a diamond in it which means it has to either have a section of softer metal to burr up for the setting or be drilled and set flush. I'm no jeweler but thats how I see it. The ring would show wear quickly too if worn daily.
Any other ideas out there guys?

Carbon rust's too easy as well Bruce,
With household work and dishes etc... It won't look very nice in a short time with most ladies.
Mokune will hold up a lot better in rings from what I've seen in Jewelry metals. With Gold the best of Course.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Damasteel or any other stainless damascus.....
but that opens up a whole other can of worms for forging and welding yourself.
You might contact Chad Nichols on help with that. He's got a subforum here.

Rudy

Last edited:
Kaye has some sterling silver rings that need work every year because she wears them daily, the stones fall out because the burrs wear away. Damascus with nickel and hot gun blue or nitre blue looks very nice as pennants but for rings just wouldnt look good for long.

Someone should check with Keith Willis, he makes bands from nickel.

You can also google ring settings and buy several types of silver and gold settings from rough castings to finished. I sometimes make rings with jewels to match knives. This set included a mammoth tooth mens signet ring.
attachment.php

This is a very interesting subject. I'd like to explore the idea of making a ring for the wifey too. She aint into jewelry but might make an exception if it was hand made just for her.

You guys are a big help, gave me some new avenues to explore.

This one is diferent than most. She is not into flashy, and she got out of an abusive relationship where she was the homemakker, AND breadwinner. I thought this would be a good way to SHOW that I care. And she loved the idea.
I am pretty confident that I can make our rings, just trying to figure out what they should be made out of. I dont need fancy, and she doesnt want stones, just a band, but for my satisfaction, I want it to look good on her, and for her to be proud to wear it.

You guys are a big help, gave me some new avenues to explore.

This one is diferent than most. She is not into flashy, and she got out of an abusive relationship where she was the homemakker, AND breadwinner. I thought this would be a good way to SHOW that I care. And she loved the idea.
I am pretty confident that I can make our rings, just trying to figure out what they should be made out of. I dont need fancy, and she doesnt want stones, just a band, but for my satisfaction, I want it to look good on her, and for her to be proud to wear it.

You can buy some cool sheet Mokume of Brass,Copper & white Copper and cut out two rings bend them, Solder and shape to taste.

That's what I would look at. Also coat the insides to stop any finger greening.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

I actually make mainly rings out of 'knife' materials (exotic steels, Chad's stainless Damascus, and most recently Chad's Moku-Ti). I use entirely stock removal method with primarily hand tools(hand drill, hacksaw, coping saw, files) and a dremel. I cut my rings from bar stock, rather than rod. Chad makes some of his damascus patterns with the pattern on the 'edge' of the block(ie the narrow portions) rather than the big, 'flat' portion usually used for knife blades. This makes the patten show up on what would be the outside/inside surface of the ring, rather than on the side. He's also done a version of Moku-Ti for rings, which has ended up producing a pattern of concentric rings on outside of the ring. I believe Chad has done some new 'twist' mattern moku-ti made in rod form, which might be easier to make a ring from. I use bar stock because I tend to make odd-shaped rings, so perfectly round bars don't quite do it for me. I've attached some (attempted) photos to show some of the patterns that Chad makes. Not sure what order their in, but there's an Iguana damascus, a Cheetah damascus, and the Moku-Ti I spoke of. Forgive the image quality - they were taken with a sucky cellphone camera, by a sucky photographer :p
23082011285.jpg
23082011286.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg

In terms of what materials to use, I can't recommend Chad's Moku-Ti enough. The Ti won't react with skin, and it won't rust either. Plus, it's plenty pretty! It also doesn't require a heat treat, which is good for me, because I can 'tinker' with the design to my heart's content without worrying about having to send it off to the HTer. Either way, I'm sure Chad will work with you to help you out.

Last edited:
http://www.jloose.com/

Rings look like they are out of my lane, but the above link shows that it can be done. JALoose posts a lot over on the Don Fogg's bladesmiths forum and I don't know how you could develop a better eye for detail than he's done.

golddiamondring.jpg

I have had this same thought in my head for a while now....
My question is this : in all of the pictures you see the rings dont show a seam. Do they have a seam or not?

Some do, some don't. My one from Chris doesn't - it's a bored out piece of damascus rather than a strip that has been wrapped round.

Sean,

As we mentioned over the PM, I'm going to have to post the stuff about my 'method'(I use the term loosely!) for making rings from Moku-ti bar stock. PM's won't let me post pictures! I'm gonna have to do this in parts, mostly because I only have pictures of parts of the process at the moment. Am going to start another one soon, so that'll be a good chance for more detailed pics.

As I mentioned, I cut and shape my rings from bar stock Moku-Ti using hand tools, as well as a power drill and dremel tool. More recently I've started 'cheating' by getting a small bench sander to handle the bigger stock removal portions. With my first ring, I actually thinned down a piece of Ti from 10mm to 8mm using only a hand file! Can you say bruised finger tips? ;P

For those of you who make rings professionally or with proper equipment, try not to laugh *too* hard when you see this ;) I dabbled with the idea of getting a lathe or mill, but space (and cost!) limitations prevented any of that. Besides, now I get to tell people I make these rings by hand..muahaha! :) Yeah, well, anyway...

the principles I use are reasonably simple - in fact, I adapted them from The Absolute Cheapskate Way to Start Making Knives by Scott Jones. I actually made a couple of decent knives in S90V using that method, and tried my first ring along with that second knife.

So the first step is to figure out the intended ring size. Then I use a chart like this to convert the ring size to an actual diameter in millimeters. I then mark the layout of the ring on whatever material I'm going to use. I tend to make odd shaped rings, so the layout can look rather weird, but if you're just going to make a 'regular' round wedding band, then you really just need to layout one circle for the inner circumference, and one for the outer.
26062011244.jpg
The picture above shows a few things. Firstly, the layout of the ring 'blank'. The one was going to be a bit squarish/spikey. Hopefully you can see the center marks, etc that i've made. After figuring out the center, I mark it with a punch. I then draw the circles with either a fine sharpie or scribe, held in a pair of mathematics compasses. In you case, you could pretty much just estimate a center, punch it, and then draw the circles.

The picture also shows the next step - I drill holes inside the inner circumference of the ring. The 'trick' here is to drill one larger hole (in this case 3/16") and the rest as smaller holes (I use 1/8"). The larger hole will allow you to just slip a coping saw blade through it, from which you can start cutting out the inside of the ring. When I started, I drilled these freehand with the power drill. That was an experience ;P Now I use the same drill but with a cheapish drill guide. Still requires a whole lot of weight put into it for it to go through, and I go through cobalt bits like mad! Have recently invested in a bit sharpener though. It should be much easier with the drill press you have. After all the holes are drilled, you basically get your coping saw blade in the larger hole, set it up in the saw frame, and then 'join the dots'.

You should end up with something like the next picture. Another note is that up to this point, I haven't actually detached the ring 'blank' from the rest of the Ti sheet yet. It makes it a whole lot easier to attach to a vise and cut. After all the cutting of the inside is done, I basically take a hacksaw to it and cut the blank out. Bear in mind that at this point, it probably still looks more like a hunk of metal with a hole in it, rather than a ring blank!
26062011247.jpg

At this stage, I then use a round hand file to file down the 'teeth' on the inside, but being careful not to go outside the marked area. As you know, it's always much easier to take material off later rather than kick yourself for taking off too much! Don't worry too much about getting a perfect circle with the file at this point. You'll do that later with the dremel. To get a *sorta* even circle(after the 'teeth' are gone), I file the lowest part of the circle a certain number of times, rotate the piece 45deg in the vise, and repeat. After making a complete circle, I then flip it back to find and do the same from the other side.

Depending on the ring size, the next step is to use either dremel attachment 407(1/2" sanding drum) or 430(1/4" sanding drum) to even out the inside surface of the ring. The 407 really needs a minimum of 16mm to fit into the inside of the ring. i'll have to continue about that later, after I take some pictures during the next project.

Last edited:
Anybody ever heard of Delbert Ealy????
He makes the most gorgeous Mokume rings I have ever seen! AND he has metal I aint never heard of, like Red Gold!? I hope I'm remembering this correctly,... I went and checked , try this link at the bottom, I only wish I could put a pic in! He has some wicked sick talent!! Check out his web site, I'm not saying he's cheap, but I believe their made one at a time, I'd guarantee that these would be as special as a guy can get without a coule years training, several thousand dollars worth of gold, silver, paladium, etc, and thats just to practice on! Not to mention another couple G's in equipment, but if your in no hurry and have plenty of time, long engagments aren't over rated....although that may give her time to get away!!! And if she's one of the good ones, you might want to just buy one from Delbert, he's a Knife Dog and a great guy to boot!
http://www.mokume-jewelry.net/
Hope this helps, Rex

Back