My first WIP Mosaic damascus "Sujihiki"

Thanks Mike and Pieter. Were real happy with the way this one turned out! :) And doing the WIP was fun. I hope to do more..

God Bless.
Randy

What's that song - "It's a Family Affair, It's a Family Affair". Thanks to all the Haas family for doing this great WIP and turning out this fantastic knife.

Denny, LoL.. I dont remember the song. But it still made me chuckle!! Im glad you liked the WIP and thanks for the complement on the knife.

It's a KNIFE LIFE!

Rudy, Thats it... :)
Hey thanks for all the comments and following this thread. This was a blast to do and I hope to do more in the future..

on a side note.. I just received a email from my customer saying it arrived at his house safe and sound. (I get a little nervous sending some of these knives in the mail)
Also he stated, that it exceeded his expectations and that the pics dont do this knife any justice. :) Hes gona give me some feedback on its performance once he can bring himself cut something other then paper and hair with the knife. lolol

Gota love it! As a maker thats what I strive for and Im sure every one of us strive for.

God Bless
Randy, HHH knives

Wow! Your team is amazing! I don't think that could have been any better. Beautiful work guys, and thank you for sharing!

Sharpcats and RickA Thanks guys for the comments. We really enjoyed this and it was our pleasure to share this with our friends and all our fellow Dog's!

Were planning on doing another WIP soon.. Again Thanks for all the great comments and following the WIP..

Its a Knife Life!
Randy

randy your knives are awsume!! I look forward to learn more from you..

Q? randy why use a hand grinder for fire scale? is it not leaving dips and valleys ? I remove fire scale on my belt sander..on my burr king 1272 i had a long flat platen made to go between the wheels vs the reg portion most belt grinders have...i love your pictures....and thank you for showing us

hello frank...yes i think also his sons doing great

i was not going to say anything about your motto lol but i had to it nawed at me ggggggg....i disagree...as a artist and craftperson i make things because i love to espress my creativity...heck with buyers...they want to buy it kool if not i don't care...i just love taking a raw item and turn it into a work of art..

randy what is tile weld mean?

fyi they make special sanding belts just for fire scale.i love um

Michele, Well thank you sir for the kind comments and looking at the thread. I would be interested in learning more about the belts you use to remove scale.. We have used the 4 1/2 inch grinder for a long time and I was thinking of upgrading to a 9 inch soon.

Tile welding is a process where you cut the billet at a 30 to 45) angle and then align the pieces up and weld them together.. This allows you to get the pattern from the end of the billet to the face without stretching it out or wasting as much material as accordion cutting.. Here are some pics of the process. I hope this helps explain it a little better..

Hope this helps.

Cutting
WIP5010.jpg

Keep pieces in order.
WIP6andFeatherknife043.jpg

arrange and weld
WIP6andFeatherknife044.jpg

WIP6andFeatherknife042.jpg

Similar pattern as the knife but tile welded
PicsKnifesteesheaths017.jpg

Again, Thanks for the comments and feel free to ask if you have any questions..

RANDY mega thanks...I learned something new that i can use...HUGGS...how are your forgewelding them as they are small and could be tricky i think..? WARNING / BEWARE i ask alot of questions lol its how i learn..and if i ask i be willing to bet many others wanted to but did not lol...

id of love to see how you started that billet....i assume its mosic ?.....

sat ill be back home from the knoxville knife show ill take a few pictures of my BURR KING # 1272- 2x72 with a 5hp motor lol i can turn 1/2 inch steel red hot..only 3 like mine ever made..(blackjack knives,loveless and me) it is sort of over power lol.....on the belt ill get you the info you need sat...i got mine from john at true grit in calif once apon a time.....but ill get you up to date info...

RANDY mega thanks...I learned something new that i can use...HUGGS...how are your forgewelding them as they are small and could be tricky i think..? WARNING / BEWARE i ask alot of questions lol its how i learn..and if i ask i be willing to bet many others wanted to but did not lol...

Glad to help. Please forward me some info on that belt you mentioned.. :)

Hey Bubba, Thank you sir.. We sure are havin fun if nothin else!! Were gearing up to do another one soon. Im thinking a Sub Hilt Fighter may be up next..

Im glad you all enjoyed the WIP we sure did, and the customer reported that he loves the knife and has been cutting everything he can find in his kitchen. :)

God Bless
Randy

Back