"Oregon Dog five seven" Reporting for fun duty!

Original

hello thereHi everyone, I'm very happy to have found this excellent new forum, looks homey and very well laid out, will be spending alot of time here.:D

Anyway, my name is Dave Hakes, age 53, Prineville, Oregon has been my home for the past 17years, lived in Alaska for 8 years, self taught at all of my trades, from logger, welder fabricator, machinist, hunting fishing guide to a Jeweler, hehe, being 6'4", most think I'm a logger. USAF veteran. "Waiting for new Knees".

Knifemaking I have not done much of since highschool, recently I've been on fire wanting to get my forging and knifebuilding going again, driving over to Idaho to trade an .45 1911 for a decent anvil, building my area for knife work into my spraybooth in the shop has been fun, finishing my forge/ waste oil/propane type and getting a nice 2X72 grinder built up with variable speed and last not least a monster buffer. I figured with my knowledge of steels and being a jeweler for over 30 years I might end up making some strong, quality,good looking, knives, we will see.. all critiques welcome.

Looking forward to working with and sharing knowledge with all you fine folks.
Thanks , Dave.

Welcome Dave.
You should find this spot to your liking. Can't wait to see some pix.

Call for help anytime,
Steve

Welcome tot he pack Dave. Good to have another former service member among our ranks.

Thanks Gent's for the kind welcome, was up all night enjoying the site, didn't even visit my falfiles, did I mention I am bipolar? Hahaha...

Welcome Dave! Good to have you in the pack.
You should go to the Oregon Show next weekend in Eugene. Over 400 tables of knives to look at. I would like to shake your hand. Thanks for serving our country, sorry about wearing out your knees doing it.
Bruce

Hi Bruce, thank you, and being one of your biggest fans, I would like to shake your hand also. My brother is a detective in Eugene, been wanting to get over and see his new place so, will see you there. Excellent WIP on the feather bowie by the way.

Back