Rattle snake!

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
My good friend Steve Jernigan killed this today while scouting his hunting property.
My wife is 5'3" tall,this snake was 5'2 1/2" long and had 18 rattles and a button.
Rattle snakes this size are common around here.

For some reasosn we have just recently had a bunch of pygmy rattlesnakes show up. Town paper showed three killed in back yards. I killed one last night in our car port. It was about a foot and a half long.

For some reasosn we have just recently had a bunch of pygmy rattlesnakes show up. Town paper showed three killed in back yards. I killed one last night in our car port. It was about a foot and a half long.

Mike,
That's BIG for a pigmy rattler. I do believe those are the meanest snakes on the planet.

I don't like snakes at the best of times let alone ones that can kill you.

Brad,
Do y'all even have any snakes up there?
Florida is literally crawling with snakes,I kill them all the time but only the poisonous ones and I only kill them to keep my grandchildren safe.

We have snakes here in Central Il but nothing that will kill you... You can keep all of those man eaters down there!! That thing has death tattooed all over it!!! HELL NO!!! lol

JEFF

I haven't seen a rattle snake that big in a long time. Most of the one's around here are about 3 to four feet

Nice one!!!! I am not a fan of snakes either unless of course they are on a sheath, gun rig or pair of cowboy boots.:biggrin:

Wade

We have grass snakes and garter snakes both are nonpoisonous, a big garter snake is 2' long. Rattlesnakes are out west but here on the east coast we don't have them. I don't have a fear of them but I don't look for them like my wife who catches them.

How do you kill a snake? My grandfather once shot a tiger snake with a Brno model 2. I saw a two foot long adder in the woods when I was making room for some food and it was maybe a yard from my behind, I moved pretty quickly. I don't think their bites have killed anyone but I wouldn't risk it. Lucky there's no rattlesnakes here

How do you kill a snake? My grandfather once shot a tiger snake with a Brno model 2. I saw a two foot long adder in the woods when I was making room for some food and it was maybe a yard from my behind, I moved pretty quickly. I don't think their bites have killed anyone but I wouldn't risk it. Lucky there's no rattlesnakes here

Liam,
I usually kill them with a stick,it's heavily wooded here and a stick is easy to find. Hit him in the head and he's done for. I do shoot them sometimes,like the rattle snake I have mounted in my cabin I shot him in the head with a .22 so as not to mess him up,he was longer than my stick,you have to make allowances for how far the can strike.A Rattle snake will usually try to get away from you but a moccasin will attack you,copperheads usually try to stay still so you can't see them,they are not too aggressive.

Copperheads aren't quite so poisonous are they? I wouldn't like to live somewhere the snakes attack you.

Did anyone eat it?...

We have lots of them around Tucson. Every time I kill one I get vivid serpentine nightmares, sometimes even lucid dreams. I decided to leave them alone. Maybe they will cut down the rodent over population .

... next time I decide to kill one, I vow to eat it!

… Sonoran “Sandbillys” have a wise old saying, down here in southern Arizona,… “You kill it, you cook it.”… which goes for everything except indigenous insects, even though I've heard most of them tastes like chicken.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the copperhead I killed a few weeks back when hiking along the lakes edge in hunt of Mesquite forks (slingshot making addiction added to knife making). My two boys and I nearly stepped on it, my oldest son pointed it out and I smacked it on the back of the head with my bamboo walking stick. Instant death. :) It sure scares the BLANK out of you.

Brad,
Florida is literally crawling with snakes,I kill them all the time but only the poisonous ones and I only kill them to keep my grandchildren safe.

Calvin,
That's good to hear that you only kill the poisonous ones that are a danger to your grand kids.
Snakes are very beneficial, they control rats and mice and some insects and I guess people too.:what!:

Most snakes in North America will leave you alone if given the chance, I have never been around water Moccasins. I have read that the Indian King Cobra will run your butt down if you are near their nest.

big snakes when i was about thirteen i was outside one night looking for our dogs and almost step on a three and a half foot timber rattlesnake. thirteen and a button took five shots from a .22 and two shots from a 12-gauge. just to point out i wasnt shooting it was our neighber and my cousin finaly got it with the shotgun. but yea i've seen some big ones around here too. but florida has monster snakes now i heard. but pythons and things of that nature now.

Back