Rattle snake!

I used to tell myself, that killing them was to keep others safe, but rattlesnake deaths are rare around Tucson, given the number of people and rattlers. It’s usually the people's fault, not the snakes. Rattlesnakes react the only way they know how. Out here in the wild desert it’s never a good idea to let young kids play outside unattended,… snakes, cactus, coyotes, mountain lions, bears, javelina, poisonous insects etc. Fenced in yards in areas where there are lots of people are safer, but out here killing snakes is a waist of time… and probably not the best karma. For every one you kill three more will take it’s place.

Chances are, I’d eventually get my self killed or maimed messing with them too much. I've had a few close calls… We continually remind each other during the hotter and warmer months… “watch out for rattlesnakes“. The best thing to do is just leave them alone, or move somewhere where they aren't so abundant.

I sure hope no one I know ever gets bit by one, but it’s probably more risky and dangerous just getting in the car and driving up to the grocery store.

... if they come inside the house, or get trapped inside a fenced yard it's a little different,... but in any case, it's not really that much more trouble to capture and relocate them. Rattlesnakes are fine creatures, I just don't want them in my house.

Last edited:
Gila monsters get picked on a lot out here too. Fascinating reptiles and it's sad to see them disappearing. You just don't see the really giant ones anymore. Folks kill them out of ignorance. They are very slow moving, easy to see and not very aggressive,... unless cornered or threatened.

Gila monsters are my favorite lizards. It bums me out every time I see one as road kill. When I see them in the road, still alive, I stop and goad them off to the side.

Last edited:
Those glia monsters need to confab with the rattlesnakes and get in on that karma deal where every time one is killed it is replaced with three. That way killing one would be good for the population.:biggrin:

I don't think the Gila monsters have a reputation for brains... which is part of the reason they're disappearing. They definitely have character though.

The rattlers on the other hand, are very crafty and wise.

... The biggest Gila monster I’ve ever seen, was back in the 70s while riding my dirt bike out in the desert. This beauty was as big as a Jack Russell terrier! It’s forearms were as big around as a banana and head as big around as a grapefruit. It didn’t darg it’s belly on the ground like most lizards, but stood and walked erect, up on all four,… in slow motion, while making a hissing sound and flickering it’s forked tongue. Lots of character!

I’ll never forget that and probably never see anything like it again. Growing up in the desert and seeing the negative impact that human progress has has on it, is disheartening to say the least. I am glad that I was born early enough to have seen it in it’s glory.

Last edited:
snake

Went out to the shed next to the shop where I keep my etchant. Put three knives in container and went to go out sliding door. Lying in the bottom guide was another pygmy. Guess I had stepped over him coming in. Got my long needle nose tongs and got him by the head and then to the block to behead him.
Now I have two skinned out covered in borax for hat bands or inlays.
snake.jpg He is about 15 inches long.

... The biggest Gila monster I’ve ever seen, was back in the 70s while riding my dirt bike out in the desert. This beauty was as big as a Jack Russell terrier! It’s forearms were as big around as a banana and head as big around as a grapefruit. It didn’t darg it’s belly on the ground like most lizards, but stood and walked erect, up on all four,… in slow motion, while making a hissing sound and flickering it’s forked tongue. Lots of character!

I’ll never forget that and probably never see anything like it again. Growing up in the desert and seeing the negative impact that human progress has has on it, is disheartening to say the least. I am glad that I was born early enough to have seen it in it’s glory.
Tai,

I only saw Gila's in the wild in the 10-12" length. I saw a giant like you have described in a private zoo. They are very beauty and harmless to humans. I understand that they do have a poison, but no injection system. so unless you let them chew on you long enough to bleed and let their saliva into the wound you have nothing to worry about.

Although I have eaten a lot of unusual things, mainly horse unknowingly, snake is gone of them. My mother though, having lived in Australia has eaten snake, apparently it was horrible.

They sound similar to the crane flies you get here then, very poisonous but nothing to deliver the poison. I still kill them to feed to the spiders I catch though

Tai,

I only saw Gila's in the wild in the 10-12" length. I saw a giant like you have described in a private zoo. They are very beauty and harmless to humans. I understand that they do have a poison, but no injection system. so unless you let them chew on you long enough to bleed and let their saliva into the wound you have nothing to worry about.

Most of that is true, but you have to be careful, even though death by Gila monsters is extremely rare. Once they bite, they lock on, don't let go and flip over, twist etc., to get the venom in the wound... very painful! Some say you have to submerge them in water to get them to let go. The bite can also lead to a nasty infection.

The reason I haven't tried eating a rattlesnake for a long time, is because once I tried to gut one and ruptured something in it's belly that let out a terrible stink that fouled the meat. The stink was so strong that it wouldn't wash off my hands for days. After talking to some locals about it, they said you have to make a very shallow cut from the vent up, so as not to do what I did. They also recommend bleeding them and some soak the meat in salt water first. I'm not really that anxious to try it again, so I think I'll just leave them be for now.

Tai,
The two times I ate rattlesnake someone else had prepared it. Sounds like you will never eat it again :3:and I won't because I rather see them alive out in nature..

If I am ever lost in the wilds of rattler country I will make shallow cuts when skinning.

I'd have to be pretty dang hungry. That's for sure. ;)
There's lots of other stuff to eat out here, but snakes are one of the easier things to catch.

Most of the Gila monsters are like you said, 10-12 inches (just babies), but they can get upwards of around 2 ft long and probably about 25-30 pounds, like the one I saw. I think if one of those locked on to you out in the desert, good chance it could be fatal. I think you would probably go right into shock. I've been bit by smaller non venomous lizards, and they bite real hard! It hurts... usually draws some blood and leaves an itchy bump like scar for quite a while afterwards. I think teeth come off in the bite or something. Even a 6-8 inch lizard is hard to get off once it locks on.

I used to see some really big rattlers when I was a kid, usually while out quail hunting in the desert. I'm talking 10-12 feet long and as big around as my leg!... seemed like anyway. At least 8-10 ft long let's say. Don't see many like that anymore, but not something you easily forget. I always had either my auto loading 12 gage shotgun with a full choke or my pump, but was too in awe to shoot them. I don't think anyone knows how big the Gila monsters and rattlers can really get. Most of the estimates are probably on the low side... been my experience anyway. Funny those big ones were more afraid of me,.. guess they recognized the make and models of my bird blasters, 'cause they disappeared pretty fast... probably how they got so big.

15 foot AZ rattlesnake:
http://www.sodahead.com/living/chec...ona-wow/question-2858443/?link=ibaf&q=&esrc=s

... don't know if it's real or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
I’ve killed an average of about 5 a year since we moved out here in 2000, so that’s like 60-80 rattlesnakes or so over about the last 13-14 years,… with simple hand tools like shovels, spikes, axes, spears, bricks and stones.

This is the first year I decided not to kill any, sort of a new years resolution.

I’m proud to report that the snake nightmares and phobias have stopped...

... retired serpent slayer. :)

Last edited:
As a kid I use to have a few pet snakes and local California desert lizards "Non-venomous" They can bite hard and do draw blood. I have read that the big boy Gilas do have a ton of bacteria in their salvia along with the poison so I agree that it wouldn't be good to get bitten by one.

Glad the nightmares have stopped, perhaps your conscious was bothering you for killing the rattlers for no real reason?

I think that is the main thing. The other thing is, I've never seen one die pretty. It always gives me the creeps. Most of the nightmares involved giant snakes or hoards of them, me killing them and/or getting bit... waking up in a cold sweat etc.

... maybe the nightmares were also a warning, that if I didn't stop the killing sooner or later one would get me.

Last edited:
My Mama always said "the only good snake is a dead snake"!! That lady killed everyone she found with a hoe - just chop the head off. Dad fussed at her for killing rat snakes around the barn. I've only ate rattlesnake once, and it does taste like fried chicken (is there any other way to cook meat?)

Calvin, that is one big snake, and I'd kill it also. Just too big to have around.

Ken H>

I've been riding my tractor all day mowing food plots saw a lot of snakes, all indigo snakes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back