Red, Blood Red

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hey guys. I am looking for a light weight, durable handle material in blood red. Preferably blocks or rods. Any suggestions?

Look at some of Bossdogs Kirinite. Some of you mammoth ivory lovers scoff at it, but I tell you. I've been using it for about three years now? It has held up strong in color and shine when I get my customs back for sharpening. I think he has some Red MOP? I've used the Blue & the white MOP and customers like it along with the Sunspot pearl Kirinite.

Thanks guys for the reply's

So I looked at both of the materials and the kro stuff is cool, but I only see knife scales?

And Red G-10 was my first thought. But I have never used any, So was unsure if the finish color would be right. As well as weight consideration. Its pretty dense material. Yet probably me best option at this time.

Im still searchin. :D

other than the g10 red, look at the burgundy linen micarta...it really finishes up nice and the linen gives you a nice subtle grain pattern to work with. it's one of my favorite phenolics.

Randy,
G-10 is a bit on the nasty side, grind it where you can blow the dust outside or has it vacuumed up.It is like a fiberglass and turns into little fish hooks when you grind it and if they get into your lungs the only way to remove them is after you assume room temperature. :3:

That goes for kids and pets too!

OK, So lets switch gears a little. Red seems to be a very limiting thing.

My client now wants the knives to be the most exotic material I can think of. Doesn't have to be red. Something I have never used. and something I will never use again. Its gota be light weight. and durable. two words that dont often go together..

Grrr. some times its tough to be a "custom" maker.. Open to handle suggestions for the most exotic knife handle material you have seen or heard of being used!

I've seen pictures of the swordfish bill, it looked really nice, as did armadillo. Or you could go the other direction and try some of David Roeder's stabilized "Pasturewood" and let the buyer try and figure out what it is. :biggrin:

Chris

I've been looking for some bright red handle material. Only thing I could find was G10, but it's on the dark side of red. Haven't used Kirinite myself- but I've seen several colors in person- including red, and it wasn't what I was looking for.

I thought I saw someone was stabilizing horse poop that would be something not alot of people have or would really want to work with imagine the smell of that when grinding ha ha

Back