Shop Lighting advice needed

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I am working in the dark right now as 3 of my 8 foot florescent light ballast died almost at the same time. They are about 10 years old so I suppose it was their time to go.
Anyway isnt there a "perfect" shop light available? I could rebuild mine or invest in a more modern energy efficient system. Anyway I have to do something soon.

Bruce,
I am going more towards lights that light up each machine more that all around lighting these days.
The magnet base aluminum hood spot lights work great over the drill press, bandsaw, hand sanding area on the work bench and I have one pointed over my shoulder when I sit down to grind at my 2 x 72.

You can put different bulbs in them to suit your needs and just shut them off when you are not using that machine too.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Why not replace the ballasts. Easy, inexpensive, and fluorescent lights are pretty energy efficient I thought ? (reserve the right to be incorrect though ;) )

-Josh

Bruce, Josh' idea of replacing the ballasts is the way to go. There would be no need to take the fixtures down. The first time I put in lights in a new shop, I had a friend who had professional installation service help me. He had me go with the fluorescents. I did go with 4"ones because they fitted in better. Perhaps your lights are not positioned correctly? It they are about 1' back from directly overhead they will work out for you. No need to measure in inches. Still I have 10 four foot fixtures in a room about 12 X 20. These were planned and put in when my latest - I hope the last - shop was made. Sounds like a lot? Well I also have a flexible light at every work station. I think there is more need for more light as we get older. I have had the cattaracks removed from both eyes, by the way. Frank

I agree- replace ballasts.

Make sure you use electronic ones.

In the old days 8' lights were not used in offices because the hum, that's one reason you see the 4' 'ers

Now with electronics the hum is almost gone about 20 db but they will use T-8 lamps instead of T-12s you don't have to replace sockets but you can.

Flat white walls,ceiling helps a lot too.

Add task lighting at each station.

Can't have too much light.

Mark

Last edited:
By the way, there are fluorescent tubes sold in 4', 8", and 10' that Phillips calls "Daylight" these are more white and I like them the best.
You know, we have never met. Is that really you, Bruce? Yuk, Yuk.
Frank

Frank, thats an old picture, I quit smoking years ago. :)
I've heard of the day light bulbs. I picked up 15 bulbs from the construction site but forgot to check what type they are in all my excitement.
By the way, there are fluorescent tubes sold in 4', 8", and 10' that Phillips calls "Daylight" these are more white and I like them the best.
You know, we have never met. Is that really you, Bruce? Yuk, Yuk.
Frank

I would probably still go to the T12 ballast and lights. I recently did that in my office with day lamps. Lots more light with the same lamp count and energy savings too!

Last edited:
I probably have enough lighting for two shops. I stumbled on a sale I couldn't pass up. I have lights everywhere and lights on each machine, some of them two lights.

DLee,
The construction company I got my used lights from are going to LED lights saying they will save a ton of money on the electricity costs. Tell me about yours, did you put LED in the whole shop or just the work bench?
Bruce: I went to LED lighting and bought from Amazon Ikea LED lamp, glued on some earth magnets and now I can see. dlee

When figuring the cost saving of these new energy efficient lights, but sure to factor in the cost of the new stuff. Where Bruce has "free", as in "no cost" lights, to go to the high efficiency lights there's going to be a LONG payback to cover all these new lights/fixtures/installation costs.

Can't have too much light - my old eyes don't see as well as they did 50 yrs ago.

Ken

I googled "LED Shop Light" and got a bunch of hits. Nobodys giving prices on-line but I do have a dealer in my town, I'll see what they say asap. I run my lights at least 10 hours a day and the fluorescent cost me about $50 - $60 per month. I have a separate electical meter on my shop from the house. I bet it'll take a year but it may be a good investment. The LED will last 100,000 hours, my old fourescents flicker and hum.

Since the old lights flicker 'n hum - I'd HAVE to do something about that! You may well find the LED lights will have a good ROI and be worth installing. It's amazing now much LED lights have improved over the last 5 yrs.

Ken H>

Back