Stolen knife alert, from the TSA area

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
Stolen knife alert, FOUND IT, I,M SUCH AN IDIOT

After the Arkansas Show I checked my luggage in at the United Express. I was way too early but had nothing better to do than to walk around the airport and wait for my flight. TSA had over 3 hours to inspect my bag. When I reached Home I opened it to find my slipjoint wasnt there. Here is a shot of it so please keep your eyes open on the market for it. If somebody is good at Craigs list for Little Rock area please monitor that oK? Its valued at $400 and I'm offering a $100 reward for its return.

I've contacted the TSA and filed a report also turned in a claim to United Express. I'm going to contact the Little Rock PD for a report just in case a crack user gets arrested with it in his pocket.

Here is what it looks like:
It is numbered 041 on the right side of the ricasso. It was stored in a small black zippered pouch.

swaybackCF010_zps36728b10.jpg

swaybackCF012_zps65093dc3.jpg

Last edited:
Comforting to know the people in charge of the security have no morals. That stinks Bruce, I hope you filed a complaint.

Bruce,
This theft has been noted and will be watched for in all my dealing's.

The term TSA Which I think refers to, Too many, Standing Around, figures right in to this theft because they have too much time on their hands.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sorry to hear about this Bruce,I'll keep my eyes open for it.
That's one of the reasons I don't fly anymore.
The moral decay in our government is has reached saturation point.

DISGUSTING.
The minions learn from their master.

Sorry to hear this Bruce. I hope this has a happy outcome for you. It used to be that you worried about the common theif, it's sad now we worry about our government and it's enforcers. Don't get me started, sorry, end rant.

Rudy

I think the biggest mistake I made was checking in too early. I was the only one there and my flight didnt leave for over 3 hours. That left my bag sitting all alone looking like a bomb. They were so bored they must have taken it apart piece by piece and put it back together. They neatly folded my clothes and show table cloth. I had books in there and they neatly placed the books so it would all lay perfectly flat. Thank God they didnt take the dagger and Persian bowie too. Also had a SAK and my first liner lock folder. They only took the slippie. It was in a black zippered soft pouch and could be carried away easily.

I did file complaints with United Express and TSA. United wont cover because I cant prove anything. They said if you have valuables leave them at home.

TSA: Take Someones Assets. Did you see the tsa guy on TV stealing IPADS? Had a tracked. Tracked it to his house. Wife was having a field day with it.

I'll watch for you Sir.

Very sad to hear this Bruce. I'll keep my eyes open here in Arkansas. Unfortunately, there's probably an idiot running around with it in his pocket who isn't smart enough to distinguish your beautiful piece of art from an Old Timer.

I had a maker once tell me that he now makes it a point to carry a pistol in his bag with his knives so that TSA has to check and secure the bag and log it's delivery to and from the plane as we as back to him at his destination in order to prevent pilferage.

Hi Murph,
Good to see you again at the show.
Do I need a concealed weapons permit to lock a pistol in the bag? Always wondered about that. I know Ed Caffrey doesn that too.
Very sad to hear this Bruce. I'll keep my eyes open here in Arkansas. Unfortunately, there's probably an idiot running around with it in his pocket who isn't smart enough to distinguish your beautiful piece of art from an Old Timer.

I had a maker once tell me that he now makes it a point to carry a pistol in his bag with his knives so that TSA has to check and secure the bag and log it's delivery to and from the plane as we as back to him at his destination in order to prevent pilferage.

Hi Murph,
Good to see you again at the show.
Do I need a concealed weapons permit to lock a pistol in the bag? Always wondered about that. I know Ed Caffrey doesn that too.

Bruce,
Its been a couple of years since I flew and checked in a handgun but Concealed weapons permit if for a Loaded & Concealed Pistol on your body.

You are just transporting a unloaded pistol with your knives in the same bag by airline.

I would call the airline or good o'l TSA and get a update before I did it again. I know that phone call will be a lot of fun going through all the know nothings until you might get one person that could tell you the proper procedure

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well, I'm an Idiot! I found it in my ditty bag inside a Ricola bag. I must have hid it there myself. Now I feel like such a fool and have to call everybody back and eat crow. At least I didnt make an absolute ass of myself and was calm when discussing this to the authorities and representatives.

Thanks everybody for your condolences. So sorry to raise suspicions toward the innocent. This does restore my confidence in the system. The folks I talked to are paid to be civil to their customers and they were very nice and professional. No cuss words were exchanged from me or them.

A more humble Bruce now

Glad to hear you found it! That would be a shame if someone had actually stolen it. If it makes you feel any better, I don't have to go on a trip to lose a knife. I can do it in the shop...

Heh. Been there and done that. I had a very expensive and frequently used tool (Starrett dial calipers) disappear from my shop bench after an non knife-related engine pull with about 4 onlookers, most not anyone I had met before, and it took a week to show back up. Exactly where I'd left it during a moment of distraction that of course became crystal-clear in my memory as soon as I laid eyes on it. This was after several hours of top-to bottom toolbox and storage bin emptyings that left me afraid that if I was at fault I was just burying it further. One thing you had against you was the time limitations to put a claim in with TSA, I imagine. Having a deadline to file always is gonna make a check be hurried one way or the other. Glad to hear you have your knife back and aren't on a no-fly list!

I,m sure glad most of you dogs have been there too. It seems my age is working against me. All of a sudden I have OTD and CRS

Back