Taking the dive into knife making

Mudman,
Yeah, what's with this heat? We jumped right into late summer weather & temps. You can come by the shop if you like? I've got air conditioning in my shop:biggrin: and pretty ladies walking by and stopping in to talk about a custom Santuko of mine.
From time to time.
haha must you tempt me with air conditioning Laurence. How cruel!

It's 87* in my room as I type this, I imagine it's even warmer in your neck of the woods?

Finally felt in good enough shape today to get on the grinder. Boy am I glad that I started with the 1084 blanks, everything was botched. These are my first 4 blanks. One will be a full flat grind.
Any positive feedback appreciated.

Got a little more done today. I had no idea it would take so damn long to drill holes in a handle. So that left me with only 3 done so far. The rest of the blanks are still being dialed in, I'm going back and forth between short (height) handles and medium height ones. The big choppers are on the large side, so I will bring them down.

My attempt at a Woodlore clone based off of Cody's (Adventure Sworn) version of it. This is not my own design, however I did draw things based off of photos. Something nice, was being able to size the handles exactly to my own hands.

Mud,
You are doing great! One tip that might help is to slow down that drill press to around 250 RPMs if you caan and use sharp bits. On the large holes, especially when I grind stainless, I start with a pilot hole and double that size on up.

Mud,
You are doing great! One tip that might help is to slow down that drill press to around 250 RPMs if you caan and use sharp bits. On the large holes, especially when I grind stainless, I start with a pilot hole and double that size on up.
Thanks Laurence! Unfortunately my cheap 8'' HF drill press doesn't go any slower than 760rpm. I know it's way too fast, BUT it's all I got for now. My plans to purchase a new drill press this month was foiled, when I found out how much my plane tickets were going to be to Tennessee. So it will be another month or two before I have the funds for a drill press again.

Any suggestions for a press? I was looking at another HF drill press but larger model that goes down to 180rpm.

Mudman,
I am answering your question about your bevels coming uneven here so that others can read and contribute if they like.

I am right handed so I grind the bevel with my left hand first. Then match those results with my right which is easier.

Another problem may be the platen on your KMG, they aren't always true when they show up and we can put lines and craters in them from grinding.

Take the platen out and flatten it on a 4 x 36 or whatever sander you have. I run them both directions to get any slop in the belt compensated for. I also roll the edges of the platen, North,south ,east & west. The east & west helps give a easier area for your plunge lines. I also break the belt edges with a piece of Crock stick or any other ceramic you have around.

I hope these few tips help you and perhaps another maker has some more tips on the uneven bevel grinds.

Thanks Laurence. The lines and craters you are describing is exactly what's happening. I was thinking I somehow caused the unusual wear, but can't figure how it would be possible.

I don't have a 4x36, but do have the 9'' disk sander. You think this would work?

Thanks Laurence! Unfortunately my cheap 8'' HF drill press doesn't go any slower than 760rpm. I know it's way too fast, BUT it's all I got for now. My plans to purchase a new drill press this month was foiled,
Any suggestions for a press? I was looking at another HF drill press but larger model that goes down to 180rpm.
I have a bench top Skil, works ok up to 1/2" bits drilling steel. slowest speed is about 700rpm
Suggestions: Get some M35 or M42 drill bits and drilling oil. Be sure to get screw length bits; they are shorter,less flex,less runout. these bits are high cobalt and take heat a lot better than most HSS bits.
Do some research. I checked and found recommended speed for O1 with bits less than 1/4" is about 700rpm. With careful feed, I have had no issues with O1, O2, 1084 or 80CrV2 in addition to long bit life. make a basic jig so you can drill all the same. it is a lot easier to drill when you have two square sides.

I have a bench top Skil, works ok up to 1/2" bits drilling steel. slowest speed is about 700rpm
Suggestions: Get some M35 or M42 drill bits and drilling oil. Be sure to get screw length bits; they are shorter,less flex,less runout. these bits are high cobalt and take heat a lot better than most HSS bits.
Do some research. I checked and found recommended speed for O1 with bits less than 1/4" is about 700rpm. With careful feed, I have had no issues with O1, O2, 1084 or 80CrV2 in addition to long bit life. make a basic jig so you can drill all the same. it is a lot easier to drill when you have two square sides.
Thanks, drilling has been good so far. I was just saying it's more time consuming than I thought. I am using cobalt bits actually, got one of those monster sets from MSC a few months ago.

I'll look into the M35 and M42.

I used 3in1 oil for lube with good results to far. The problem with that, is stepping up in bit size, the lube tends to drip out the pre existing hole before any cooling is done. I just ordered some wax based lube to help with this.

Last edited:
Mud,
I put a few drops of my 3-1 oil about half way up the drill bit. At slower speeds it just moves down the flutes into the cutting area.

Mud,
I put a few drops of my 3-1 oil about half way up the drill bit. At slower speeds it just moves down the flutes into the cutting area.
I tried, remember my press only drops to 750rpm. At that speed, most of the oil just flies off. I think the wax lube will be a good option. It will work until I can get a new press. There are a few things I need to drill that need low low speeds.

Another small update. I refined the handles on the choppers a little more, laid out the handle holes. One chopper will have a single guard made from 416ss plate and pins, and the smaller knife with a flat butt will get a threaded pommel from 416ss as well. The last two will be a first for me.

Beveled some more knives today, almost ready for HT.

Also cut more blanks for a stick tang carving knife.

Wasn't sure how these two designs I came up with would turn out, but boy I'm stoked on them now that they are starting to come to life.

Had a HELL of a time fitting up the pommel plate. Learned lots of things on this one. What a headache.

Thanks Laurence. Three will be pieced together for my trip, the rest I will put extra time and love into when I get back and don't have a timeline.

Small update for today. I picked up my blades from Tru Grit today- 2 days for HT is awesome- especially when they are within driving distance. Can't say enough good things about these folks. I've been there twice- once to drop off and another to pick up. Both times everyone was very friendly and let me sit and chat for 2-3 hours. Talking about other hobbies, old injuries, etc. Real stand up people! I've spent considerable amounts of times conversing via phone as well.

Here we have the blades. The ones with a nice clean bluish hue were HT with foil. A2 steel- I like the results a lot. This will save a lot of time on cleanup and worth the extra $2 per blade.

Also picked up some more belts.
I'd heard a lot about the Blaze Belts and seen them used very often by makers I follow. So I picked up one 60 grit Blaze Plus, One 36 grit Blaze Plus, One 40 grit Cubitron II, One 60 grit Cubitron II, Three 36 grit VSM, and one 60 grit VSM. The Cubitrons have been mentioned a few times as well, makers seem to like them.

Back