Taking the dive into knife making

Well, I can honestly say this has been one of the worst years for me, in terms of illness. I've never gotten sick this many times in just one year. Not being able to grind and work on knives is a bit annoying, but I can still draw them.
Here are the templates plus a monster one. Think I'll name it the "King"

Mud,

Your chugging right along with all those blanks, and scales. :35:

I'm digging the drop point. I'm a fan of that kinda design.
Thank you. I haven't been feeling well for the last two weeks. Definitely falling behind on my imaginary schedule to finish more blades. Still have to use the Drewcarta I got from the give away.

Got a little time on the grinder today- feeling much better.

Did two SPM1 blanks with a slightly longer handle as well as taller. Also ground two of each tin knife design in .110 O-1, the SPM1 are going to be 3/16 80CRV-2

Also been learning the motions on trying to square my blanks better. There's a learning curve for sure, but much better than free hand. I used a piece of angle iron, and bolted it to a 1-2-3 block. That piece was then clamped to my small wheel attachment.

Finish is a bit wavy, but will get better with more practice. Here they are at 400 grit.

Got home in time to drill the holes out before sun down on the SPM1.

Also drew up more blades. Been on a bigger blade run lately.
Thinking of calling the Dagger the "Artemis". I made two versions with different sized handles.

You are killing it Mud, have fun with chasing the perfect knife. Every one I make, I just want to make one more, like a heroin addict.

Some parts I ordered came in today.
1/4'' small wheel, 2.5'' small wheel, 4'' contact wheel, and spalted big leaf maple burl dyed turquoise and black.

You are killing it Mud, have fun with chasing the perfect knife. Every one I make, I just want to make one more, like a heroin addict.
Thank you!

Definitely more addicted than I thought. It's pretty much impossible to just try and make one knife at a time. I'm constantly thinking and drawing up new ones. No denying here, I'm hooked!

Got some more supplies in today.
Alternate Ivory, 1'' Brown Canvas Micarta, 3/8'' OD Green Canvas Micarta, 3/8'' Black Linen Micarta, 3/8'' Orange G10, 3/8'' Red G10, .060'' Orange G10, .060'' Purple G10, 1/8'' Black G10, Spalted Oregon Maple Burl, California Redwood, Hawaiian Koa, and Hawaiian Mango. Can't wait to get these on some knives!

Big thumbs up to Burlsource, Mark is always very quick to ship my orders! Masercraft as well, they threw in the ivory and micarta as extras. I love that kind of service.

Cut some material up today for handles.
Hawaiian Mango, .060 Blaze Orange G10, .030 White G10 liner

3/8'' Red G10, .060 White G10, 1/8'' Black G10 Might flip the Black and White around.

3/8'' Blaze Orange G10, and 1/8'' Moonglow, Might throw in a .030 white G10 liner

For those wondering how I got cuts so clean, I used a wet tile saw for the G10 and a miter saw on the wood. It makes quick work of things, a band saw would be another option, but takes longer for me.

But shouldn't the breaker have gone off? The safety button on the side of power box thats attached to the motor didn't pop.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The breakers didn't pop because you didn't have a short Circut just a poor connection that causes enough heat to ruin the connection.
Cut the wires back and make the connection up again use the proper connector,twist the wires together before screwing on the wire nut and screw it on tight.

The breakers didn't pop because you didn't have a short Circut just a poor connection that causes enough heat to ruin the connection.
Cut the wires back and make the connection up again use the proper connector,twist the wires together before screwing on the wire nut and screw it on tight.
What's the propper connector? I used the wire nuts supplied by beaumont.

It was indeed tight. But with that said, I replaced all the wire nuts and now she's back in business.

Thanks Calvin!

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I had handle material on a knife not quite work out, now it needs to be re-done. An insane amount of delays also set me back, doing what I can now to make up for it. Nothing but problems lately..

On a positive note, the SPM1 with Hawaiian mango is coming along nicely. Close to finished.
Done with handle shaping and sanding, just needs a few coats of oil and buffing. Then a little clean up on the blade and a sheath.

Spent most of my day assembling this Frankenstein buffer. Looks hideous, but works like a charm, and I can switch between two speeds. Up to three different speeds if I shift the motor a little.

Also finished up this knife. Stitching up the sheath tomorrow.

Closeup of the Mosaic pins and Hawiian Mango.

Off to the customer:

A presentation box my friend made for me, I added some decorative carving and scribbles on it.

Back