The Newell .45 cal front loader

After some contouring and thinning its beginning to look like it belongs on the gun.

100_5051_edited.jpg

100_5053_edited.jpg

100_5052_edited.jpg

Hey Bruce,
I noticed the cordless Dremel in the background. I just got one and use it for little cut offs and such. How do you like yours and do you use it much?

Also, great job on the Newell. Fun to watch and very educational.

Regards,
Steve

Hey Bruce,
I noticed the cordless Dremel in the background. I just got one and use it for little cut offs and such. How do you like yours and do you use it much?

Also, great job on the Newell. Fun to watch and very educational.

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I like the cordless but it seems underpowered compared to the other two corded dremels. It works great on the finer jobs. I just bought a new model 300 dremel and love the power and variable speed clicks. It was like $65 though. :eek:

They know me by name at the "Dremels R Us" store

100_5057_edited.jpg

Last edited:
When you were doing the trigger guard, may I ask why didn't ruff out the interior in the vertical mill before finishing it on the oscillator? Drilling and hack sawing that interior must have been a bear. Certainly not trying to tell you anything, just an observant grasshopper.

Steve

When you were doing the trigger guard, may I ask why didn't ruff out the interior in the vertical mill before finishing it on the oscillator? Drilling and hack sawing that interior must have been a bear. Certainly not trying to tell you anything, just an observant grasshopper.

Steve

I could have done it all on the mill but actually it was quicker to drill the holes and use the hack saw. I know it looks crude but its fast. Before the oscilatting sander I used the 1/4 horse power foredom with stones and sanding drums. Thanks for asking.

Bruce do you like the Foredom or the Dremel better?

Patrice

Hi Patrice,
I like both and couldnt do without either of them. The foredoms hog off some real steel and the dremels do some very fine grinds with miniture burrs and sanding and polishing chores. I was even able to find 1/8" sanding rolls for the dremel. The dremel doesnt have a 3 foot long cable hanging out the back either.

Thanks Bruce. I only have a dremel for now. I got the flexible shaft for it but I don't like it much. It heats up a lot. I will use it without the shaft and get a Foredom with flexible shaft which I am sure performs better.
Of course play money is all gone for now s it will have to wait a little.
I like your Dremel Drawer, I will build one. :D

Thanks for being so generous with your advices and process pictures and explanations.

Patrice

Thanks Bruce. I only have a dremel for now. I got the flexible shaft for it but I don't like it much. It heats up a lot. I will use it without the shaft and get a Foredom with flexible shaft which I am sure performs better.
Of course play money is all gone for now s it will have to wait a little.
I like your Dremel Drawer, I will build one. :D

Thanks for being so generous with your advices and process pictures and explanations.

Patrice

I like the variable speed Dremel models. I buy most all my abrasives on ebay because of quanity and price. There is a huge selection of bits, burrs and drums although not name brand but way way less money than dremel brand abrasives.

Thanks for your questions. Happy to share.

Not to get thread away from topic,.. but guys, you can find a lot of used but not too abused multi speed dremels and such in local pawns,.. last 3 i got were from pawns, 20.35,and 45 respectively,.. all multi,all really great shape. Also, toaster ovens for tempering small blades,hand sanders,etc. just never know.

Excuse the derail Mr Bump,..please continue.

Not to get thread away from topic,.. but guys, you can find a lot of used but not too abused multi speed dremels and such in local pawns,.. last 3 i got were from pawns, 20.35,and 45 respectively,.. all multi,all really great shape. Also, toaster ovens for tempering small blades,hand sanders,etc. just never know.

Excuse the derail Mr Bump,..please continue.

Good point. I should check there too.
One thing I started doing was to send in the registration card for warrenty. If you use a dremel as much as I do it pays off. I just got a brand new one in the mail from an older model they no longer make. No questions asked. Good people there if you play the game their way.

Last edited:
Roger has the display box ready. I like his work. I used to do wood working but theres no way I could do this kind of craftsmanship with wood and glass.

DSC03444.jpg

DSC03441.jpg

DSC03443.jpg

Looks beautiful bro, ty for making me that Christmas present, how did you know thats exactly what I wanted?yea!:haha:eek:oops:D

Trying to work off some cherry pie and icecream I made it out to the shop today and did some lathe work and milled in the dovetail for the rear sight also located the center for the front sight.

101_5070_edited.jpg

101_5071_edited.jpg

101_5072_edited.jpg

101_5073_edited.jpg

101_5075_edited.jpg

Looking good bro. Can't wait to see it finished and firing a 45.

Yesterday was spent on turning the ram rod. I used 4140 steel and turned it down to 3/8" and threaded a short portion where it screws into the forearm and the front end of it tapered ever so slightly to 1/4" where it fits snugly into the dowel almost touching the trigger return spring plunger.

Today I made the front and rear sights. The front one is soldered in place. The drill bit is used to key it for center and removed after the solder joint is cooled. I used graphite from pencil lead to keep it from soldering itself in permanately. The hole in the front sight will get a brass pin. I originally wanted to make one of the sights adjustable but with such a short barrel I decided it wasnt worth it all. I will however sight it in and file the front and rear sight accordingly.

100_5120_edited.jpg

100_5122_edited.jpg

100_5124_edited.jpg

100_5125_edited.jpg

100_5126_edited.jpg

100_5127_edited.jpg

100_5128_edited.jpg

100_5129_edited.jpg

100_5130_edited.jpg

100_5131_edited.jpg

100_5132_edited.jpg

100_5134_edited.jpg