The Newell .45 cal front loader

Look forward to seeing the final project. One day I'll get one of your masterpieces to call my own.

Today I made a turned a steel sleeve with a 1/8" hole drilled through it and plugged it into the muzzle and installed a muskett nipple with an oversized hole. Now I can peep down the barrel and bulls eye it on a target. I clamped the barrel in my portable vice and lined it up with a target on the wall and ground and filed the sights until they lined up with the target bulls eye also.

Here is some lathe work on the brass front sight bead
100_5135_edited.jpg

Somewhat blurry but maybe you can see what I'm talking about.
100_5139_edited.jpg

Next I started on the bolsters. I went with 1018 instead of bronze. More traditional this way and more finishing options too.
100_5145_edited.jpg

100_5147_edited.jpg

100_5148_edited.jpg

Bruce, I'm watching this with incredible happiness! I just love this stuff. If I could pick anybody to be, I'd be you, and I'd take off for Greece with Uma Thurman. Well, after I got my knife/gun project finished. :)

You mean this Uma Thurman?

MV5BMTgzMTU3MzkwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTY.jpg

Yes, that would be the mother of my children.

Get it, Mr J McDonald? :D

It's a long story, but my avatar actually has to do with my love affair with Uma. But I won't waste Bruce's beautiful thread describing my sordid life...

Okay, back on topic - that is one awesome piece of work Bruce. I've been looking forward to the ramrod as much as I was the hammer. 2thumbs

On to the bolsters. I roughed them out of 1/4 bar stock and surfaced both sides to get them equal thickness. I want them tapered from the grip to about the center so to remove material fast I used the bandsaw and then over to the surface grinder to again surface them to equal thickness. I roughed out the contours on the belt and then on the foredom.

100_5152_edited.jpg

100_5154_edited.jpg

100_5155_edited.jpg

Thats looking great. What are your plans for material for the grips?

I think it will be preban ivory. I have a large enough piece that should do the knife too. If its not big enough at least preban is easy to match unlike stag or mammoth. Preban elephant is soooo nice to work and always feels warm. The original pieces of this time would more than likely be elephant ivory. I believe the value will always be high with white ivory grips. Of Course if Gabe chimes in and says stag I would go with stag.

Last edited:
Hmmm, good question. Somewhere on the left side. The barrel will have a mark that says .45 cal. BP (black powder)
Etch or stamp on your mark? If you did do an inlay on the grips I was thinking you could put your logo as an inlay or putting 45 in script. But I aint the pro like you and I aint holding it in my hand to get a better idea. Thats pretty much how I design stuff, hold it in my hand while staring at it and then things start to pop into my head.

Etch or stamp on your mark? If you did do an inlay on the grips I was thinking you could put your logo as an inlay or putting 45 in script. But I aint the pro like you and I aint holding it in my hand to get a better idea. Thats pretty much how I design stuff, hold it in my hand while staring at it and then things start to pop into my head.

I feel the logo should be permanant and if its on the grip somebody could change the grips and there goes the makers proof mark. My thought is to use the same logo I used on the knife blade so they match. If it wont fit on the barrel I know it will fit on the left forearm or bolster. The engraver will incorporate the oval around it into his art work.

Good point. Like I said I aint a pro, not like you are.

Thats really looking sweet. I'm guessing inlay? Is it gonna be the same material as the grips?

Back