The Newell .45 cal front loader

One of the best parts of my day is checking in on this thread.

All morning sanding and shaping the bolsters. They still need some tuning but I like the way they look.

100_5166_edited.jpg

100_5165_edited.jpg

100_5163_edited.jpg

100_5162_edited.jpg

That pistol is looking great, Bruce. I don't want the WIP to end but at the same time I can't wait to see the finished product. And then it goes bang?

Oh My Goodness!!!!!!! That is so freakin Awesome!!!!!!! It is starting to look like a real working gun. You do amazing work Bruce! your still the MAN!!

Thanks ever so much for the compliments guys. This is my first gun that doesnt have a blade attached and I gotta say its fun to make both sides the same for once. All my other guns with the exception of the first Tortuga (fixed blade) have a folding knife on one side and the gun on the other side but this one is matching.

I am waiting for the O-1 steel hammer, trigger and hammer push rod to come up to temp in my oven right now so I can quench them in "tough quench" from Brownells. Yes really, I'm that far along already. I could actually be out shooting at possoms as early as tomorrow but I still need to make the grips. I should have some pics of the ivory cutting, drilling, sanding ect. soon.

Thanks for staying with me this far. Its been great fun.

Awesome! I can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for doing another great WIP. Keep em coming!

I set the oven for 1500F and put the hammer, trigger and push rod in until they reached 700f or so and dipped them into PBC anti-scale compound and put them back in the oven. When 1500F came up I let them soak for 5 minutes and quenched them in Tough Quench oil. I boiled the PBC off and placed them in the tempering oven for one hour at 400F. I have a chart in the shop that will tell me what temp for the second tempering to arrive at around 52 rockwell hardness. That is a good number for toughness and wear resistance for these parts.

100_5168_edited.jpg

100_5169_edited.jpg

100_5171_edited.jpg

Are you kidding? This is a must see most every day.

I understand about hands on training, but I learn gain vast amounts of knowledge from a good tutorial.

Thanks Leadfoot

I checked the hardness of the hammer after an hour at 750f and it rockwelled at 50 so I'm convinced it wont break under normal use. I have to use the rockwell hardness tester at the college and forgot the camera, dangit. Can you see the 2 diamond impressions on the hammer from the test?

I also rounded off the forearm and even worked on the bowie guard and frame. Its a good days work.

100_5180_edited.jpg

100_5181_edited.jpg

100_5172_edited.jpg

100_5173_edited.jpg

100_5174_edited.jpg

100_5177_edited.jpg

100_5179_edited.jpg

Bruce, sorry to bother you with another question but I often see you using that small table on your bandsaw. Do you use only that and what is the upside compared to a full sized one?

Thanks

Patrice

Bruce, sorry to bother you with another question but I often see you using that small table on your bandsaw. Do you use only that and what is the upside compared to a full sized one?

Thanks

Patrice

Hi Patrice,
I made that table because the original table was a piece of junk. The slot was so wide parts would fall in and break a $20 blade in a heartbeat. This table is slightly bigger too but not too big to use the bandsaw in the horizontal position also. I bet this old saw has cut a mile of steel.

Thanks Bruce.

Patrice

PS: I saw your "Liberty" cut'n shoot the other day in Blades I think. I showed my wife and told her I had helped with the naming part. I know it's not a big thing but to me it is. Very cool!

Thanks Bruce.

Patrice

PS: I saw your "Liberty" cut'n shoot the other day in Blades I think. I showed my wife and told her I had helped with the naming part. I know it's not a big thing but to me it is. Very cool!

I'm proud of that gun and the name is perfect for it Thanks to You! 2thumbs

Back