The Newell .45 cal front loader

I traced around the pair to make a template cutout for the display box while the parts are out getting the hot blue job. I like Doug Turnbulls work. Here is his web site if you would like to check it out. http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=19567&catid=19872

100_6790_edited.jpg

100_6789_edited.jpg

100_6788_edited.jpg

These are all the parts that will be blued. I saved out the trigger and plan to gold plate it. These parts are sanded down to 2500 grit buffed with green rouge and hand sanded back to 2500 and cleaned in paint thinner.

100_6804_edited.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea how much it weighs. I suspect its not light compared to factory 45 calibers. What do you think?

You're holding onto it, not me...that's why I was hoping that you could weigh it...not a smart comment. I'm really curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're holding onto it, not me...that's why I was hoping that you could weigh it...not a smart ass comment. I'm really curious.

I know one thing, it feels really nice! It aims all by itself and is comfortable to shoot. The recoil is a bit less than what I expected probally because of the heavier frame and thicker barrel. Its way lighter than a target pistol I'm sure. The hammer is in the perfect place for me anyway.
Youre not normally a smart ass are ya? :D

Turnbull blueing and case hardening is the bomb, I have what may be the first Open Range SSA revolver made.

Looking forward to the completed project. It's been a privilege to watch its progress.

Thank you Bruce.

Leadfoot

100_6804_edited.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I do love these exploded views Bruce. It really gives an appreciation of what goes into one of these projects.

While the end product is a fine pistol, the exploded views remind us that it is really an assemblage of indivudal hand crafted parts -- each a work of art in their own -- that must all come together together to complete final product.

Perhaps you could take a shot of all the finished parts before assembly?

Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Brian

I do love these exploded views Bruce. It really gives an appreciation of what goes into one of these projects.

While the end product is a fine pistol, the exploded views remind us that it is really an assemblage of indivudal hand crafted parts -- each a work of art in their own -- that must all come together together to complete final product.

Perhaps you could take a shot of all the finished parts before assembly?

Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Brian[/QUOTE]

You're right about each piece being only a part of the entire finished gun. If there was a blueprint to go by it wouldnt be so bad. So far each of my gun/knives is the only prototype and the blueprints are generally drawn from the prototype. I dont have any desire to mass produce these so there no reason to reverse engineer a finished piece to make the blueprint. I have however redrawn the finished parts onto paper just in case I forget what a pain I went through and want to do another.

Wow Bruce. Thanks so much for telling me about this place. It took me about a week to catch up on this thread.
Don't quite know what to say, never thought I'd see anything like this as a WIP. I thought the first blade of yours I held was the pretty'st I'd ever see (the one with the small dagger in the handle) How wrong was I.
Ken's engraving is truely beautiful on these, hope to see more of that also.

Thanks again for telling me about this place, headed for the second thread now. Gonna take a couple years to get thru this whole forum.
Robin

Wow Bruce. Thanks so much for telling me about this place. It took me about a week to catch up on this thread.
Don't quite know what to say, never thought I'd see anything like this as a WIP. I thought the first blade of yours I held was the pretty'st I'd ever see (the one with the small dagger in the handle) How wrong was I.
Ken's engraving is truely beautiful on these, hope to see more of that also.

Thanks again for telling me about this place, headed for the second thread now. Gonna take a couple years to get thru this whole forum.
Robin

Hi Robin, Thanks for the visit and the compliments. I need to have you make another sheath for me so I can show it off here. Remember when we went rattle snake hunting because we needed a rattler skin for a hunting knife sheath? That was exciting!
Please come back often.

Five minutes in a snake den will give your heart a better workout than a hr long gym workout:D

Only a broken computer will keepme from checking in often.

I'm not sure I can build build a sheath worthy of your blades now Bruce.2thumbs

Five minutes in a snake den will give your heart a better workout than a hr long gym workout:D

Only a broken computer will keepme from checking in often.

I'm not sure I can build build a sheath worthy of your blades now Bruce.2thumbs

Walking along overgrown paths and creeping in and out of those old sheds with nothing but a forked stick gave me some wild dreams :eek: I get a heart workout just thinking about it.

You are too modest. Nobody else makes your style of cowboy sheaths. Not many people make their own horse rawhide either. Love the "Chevron" rawhide trademark you do.

I finally got all the parts back from Turnbulls and they look as good as I knew they would. Doug does a great job. The barrel is his "Rust Blue" and the rest of the parts are "Hot Blue" or tank bluing as some know it. The trigger is the only part that didnt get blued but recieved gold plating. I have my own gold plating outfit and gave it the treatment this morning.

100_7388_edited.jpg

100_7393_edited.jpg

100_7390_edited.jpg

100_7392_edited.jpg

100_7394_edited.jpg

Last edited:
That is just beautiful Bruce, can't wait to see it finished. Excellent job with the gold plating as well.

Back