ugly knife? Really?

Gahagan

Well I was asked to make a knife for a freind of mine. He said it is going to get alot of use, and he wanted some serration on it. Well i made the knife and have been having trouble making the handle flow . Well I got it to where I have shaped the handle to a shape I think is ok and took it in for my wifes opinion. Well she looked at me with this strange look. I asked her what that look was for and she said " I think it is the ugliest knife you ever made". Is this knife that ugly? I need some more opinions.Please give me ideas on how to make it look better if it is ugly.
hunter002.jpg

Its really difficult to give you any constructive criticism based on one flat photo. But it appears that the handle could use a roll around the edges...a couple of pins and a lanyard hole in the heel would dress it up a bit. If the wood was burl, and it had a bolster of some sort it would look a bit more classy. A gloss finish on the handle would be a plus as well.
For a pure utility...hard use knife, its just fine.

Eric

This is just rough shaped witha 40 grit belt . It is far from being done but i didnt want to go any further if it looked as bad as she said. And as I said this is going to be a work knife so it is going to be simple as possible. But it is getting a lanyard hole I have it drilled in the knife but did not drill it in the handle yet as I was not sure if I was going to put one in it.

AAAAAW JEESH !
What the #&$@^ is that !:what!:
:biggrin:

Seriously,
LaGrange covered it pretty well.
Personally I would add a couple (fake) pins fore and aft. Contour the handle a bit. Grind the guard with the hole in it off on a radius to connect the handle and blade. To me the guard seems to detract from the flow of the knife . Most important is to make mama happy. Whether she's right or not.

I didn't realise the knife was still uncompleted......so you have many options still. I'm a slow typer.

Rudy

Last edited:
I think that it looks fine for an every day user. I don't know about the little tab off the ricasso with the lanyard hole but that is a minor design issue. It may well look ugly to your wife. I've seen knives that I thought were rather ugly (I personally don't care for the big clip point bowies) but they were well made and someone was sure to like them.

Doug

The handle and blade finish look like they are on the too Plain side! But one thing I've found in the past with knives I did want to even put on the table at a show were the first to sell!

In Auto sales we use to say that we have a seat for every ass! LOL!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

Well, they say," Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I guess it depends on who the holder is!

First, I would say to anyone that you have to please yourself first. then your customer or in this case your friend is the only other opinion that should matter, as makers we are the ones that come up with the original idea and the end result, at some point along the build you had to think it was looking good, then ran into the flow issue. So ask yourself, "what were you thinking?" Seriously, answer yourself first, then decide how the best way to make it flow for its intended purpose.

My opinion on the flow would be to first to look at the ergonomics, since we can't see all aspects and feel it in hand you'll have to decide how it feels, I always handle my knives and use them in there intended purpose if it is a handle design that I haven't used before, I look for hot spots first, secondly I feel for grip issues. The purpose of this knife is to be a utility knife, basically a "no frills" sorta blade, if that's the case and there are no problems with the handle and your friend likes it as is, I say let it go. Personally I say it looks pretty good, the blade looks to be about 3" or so, it may need a little better junction between the handle and the guard area, I guess if there was a little arc there or more curvature, it may give it more flow. There are curves all over this design, except in the area I mentioned. Hope this helps, Rex

I think it's the blade serrations,they draw the eye and and break up the flow.But if it's what the customer wants then so be it.The knife looks fine otherwise.
Stan

it's been my experience that when women see serrations on anything other than a kitchen knife, they tend to automatically think less of a knife. It's a genetic thing I think. :les:

Looks fine to me. Not something I would make personally, but not ugly. I'd carry it. It's obviously made to use, nothing wrong with that.

Seems like a pretty good blade to me ? As long as its well tempered and way sharp , thats all that really matters . As the other poster indicated , a lanyard hole and another pin or 2 would help . I still like it as is ........

Looks great to me. I get the same thing with my wood gun grips sometimes, but, I've learned not to show it to very many people until it's fine tuned.

I drill out two more pin holes which were already drilled in the knife before HT as well as a lanyard hole. So I put two more mosaic pins in as well as a copper lanyard tube in the rear. I gave it to my friend but will get a picture of it soon.

Back