week 2 Photo contest CLOSED

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
the entry time for week 1 is nearly done.

This thread is where entries should be uploaded for the Week 2 knife photo contest....

Post away...

Last edited:
Ok I took this a while ago,I was delivering this knife to a work mate in Prudhoe bay. As I sat in my tractor I realized I had no pics of this piece so I had to wing it in the cab of my truck on the passenger seat with my cell phone.I must have moved it a dozen times and was sticking papers and other objects in the windows so I could cut down on the glare and held still made sure I had a good focus and snaped this shot.
20130713110820_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
rps20141125_202339.jpg

This is another one from the cellphone. Shot with one light, homemade shower curtain defuser, and foam core reflector. (I'm using older photos from my cell as I am recuperating from a foot problem and not walking yet.)

OK, I'll play but not too hopeful.
This has to be THE only good picture I think I've taken of a knife. And not too sure how I did it.

2012_1231hunterbolster0004.jpg

Rudy

Great Knife, Rudy. Love the stacked leather.
...and we can all be thankful that your reflection didn't show up on the blade..

Just kidding, love it...

HHH Knives, Dagger. This one was a challenge. I had to move my light as well as the knife and camera position. So I was not getting a reflection in one pin or another.

This was taken with a Canon Rebel Knife was in a light tent with 1 studio light.

critiques welcomed.

This is the big heavy fighter I made a couple months ago. Point/shoot camera, tripod, back lit w. incandescent bulb, white nylon light box. I photoshopped the reflection out of the bevel, so if this disqualifies it then throw out.

Last edited:
Taken outside with my Canon PowerShot SX150
Not touchups of any kind. 14.1 mega pixels
Hey Im a maker not a photographer. Too much background going on. Wheres the knife at? Can you tell what time of year this was shot?
006-4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my Lancer model. Shot with a cheap camera, one led desk light, overhead shop lights, and another CFL desk light. Tried a little editing with an online free program, but not sure if it helped much? How are you guys getting your pics to show up so large and in the post?

SAM_1813.jpg

Here's a pic of my Lancer model. Shot with a cheap camera, one led desk light, overhead shop lights, and another CFL desk light. Tried a little editing with an online free program, but not sure if it helped much? How are you guys getting your pics to show up so large and in the post?

View attachment 52090

I use photo bucket to host my pictures. Its free unless you have over 2000 like me. Now they debit my account yearly for $25 or else all your pics just disappear.

10633992_10105723912724894_2945369394365539558_o.jpg

This is a rasp knife I made my brother. I have a Canon Rebel with a 50mm fixed lens I take all my pictures with. I was a photographer long before I got into knifemaking. I love joining the two.

Last edited:
Here is my submission for this week. I use a fully manual DSLR. This allows for me to use different f-stops and shutter speeds to get the lighting correct. I also use a home made light box. It is made out of PVC white poster board sides and a white trash bag on the back. I then use two shop lights with the natural light, light bulbs. This picture was taken with a 1/8 shutter speed and f-stop of 13. I had to start using manual focus because I couldn't get the camera to focus onto everything that I want. Using f-stops is also good to get everything in focus as well as only focusing on a single part of the knife.

I forgot to mention that I don't use photoshop or anything with my photos. It goes straight from my camera to the computer and posted if I post it anywhere.

Week 2 PhotoContest.jpg

Last edited:
You will need to pick one photo for this week's entry.
If you fail to select just one, both will be excluded. I won't select for you.

This is a rasp knife I made my brother. I have a Canon Rebel with a 50mm fixed lens I take all my pictures with. I was a photographer long before I got into knifemaking. I love joining the two.

If I knew how to delete ad at bottom of page,i would?

When is last day for entry?...or has it already been?
thanks,
jd

Last edited:
here is my entry....hadn't been here in awhile...started back into collecting,etc.
this is a knife I made from blade,backspring from a kit knife,the liners,and bolsters
I made from sheet brass...all I had at the time.....I cut the liners,then soldered
the cut bolsters to them....I changed photo with permission...First one was posted
on accident...
I am no photographer,but enjoy trying...was shot with a Samsung s730....

hope this picture shows up,and isn't too big....thank you,jd
10421560_374720402704409_5223720153050164696_n.jpg

Last edited:
I shot this on a seamless white background with overhead incandescent light through a vellum diffuser. I used a photo of metallic texture and broke it into two planes with perspective to create the background. I then created the lighting for the background and shadows around the base of the display stand . The actual knife and stand have minimal corrections.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back