What makes for a good Hammer In?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I've only been to one Hammer In so I guess I am asking for some input.

What makes for a great hammer in?

What should we do to get ready for ours the first weekend in August?

Good displays, good workshops, time to sit around and enjoys company and visit, vendors are nice, knowledgeable people to answere questions.

Doug

Tracy,
I agree with Doug and would only add 1 thing, Good food and plenty of it! :)

Wish you all were a little closer, I would love to attend the first ever KNIFE DOGS hammer in!

God Bless YA and have fun.
Randy

Good people is the absolute number one. You should be able to handle that yourself :)

Food helps a lot. Forging and working facilities and will, skilled teachers are pretty important (see number one).

Demos... it depends. Some HIs are organized around them and it's good. Others emphasize them less and it's still good.

At the only hammer-in I've attended contributions were asked for to offset the cost of the food. Other than that it would depend on what other costs are encurred. A demonstrator might need help with traveling expences or lodging. There might be rent on facilities. Other expences might crop up connected with putting on the even which the organizer/s of the even might not want or be able to absorb that would require an admissions fee.

Doug

I'd say the ability for several different guys to be able to get some hands on experience, which means having several forges, anvils and hammers available, with someone knowledge able to direct them while their working, that's the way it was at Batson's when Murph forged out his first knife. This looks to me like a great time to have many of the items USA Knifemaking Supplies provides for forging, available for use.

And another thing, did you know Nathan Robertson (World Class Hammer Maker) lives in Minnesota? I'm not sure where exactly, but his area code is 218, if that helps. If you could stock his Japanese forging hammers, I think you would be able to sell them by the truck load! I'm not sure how he goes about selling wholesale, but I do know that the hammers he makes for oldworldanvils.com, are priced less to about the same as what he charges if you buy them from him. His Japanese forging hammers are so incredible, they can actually extend your forging time, if your anvil has good rebound. I used one 2 years ago and have been trying to find him since, he lives in the woods, the only internet he has is dial up, and he doesn't have much, if any web presence at all. If you'd like his contact info let me, Thanks, Rex

I've been to lots of hammer-ins. For me the demonstrators are the most important. I have never picked up a hammer and forged out a knife at an event. I watch a few demos and look for deals from the tailgaters. A successful meet is one where I drive home with a truckload of deals.

At the last one I bought tongs, hammers, punches, and other assorted tools.

ernie

Most of the HI's I've been to charge a fee to cover expenses.

Given how popular Sam's hammer making demos have been I'll bet a lot of people would
show up to see a Nathan Robertson demo.

Love them Japanese Hammers , and not because I make Japanese blades ! Its because the weight is forward of the handle , and a good one has tremendous balance and easy to forge in bevels on your favorite Blade . Try one for a while and you will see .

I am hosting my first hammer-in this June 17-19. As for costs, I'm not sure on what the costs will be. There was a knife symposium held every year here in Alberta in central Alberta. The guy that hosted this event, hosted it many years. He decided to call it quits and another knifemaker from northern Alberta took over. I was asked if I would host the event as it was more central for everyone to attend.

I am charging the same as what has been charged at the symposiums. The more organizing I do for the hammer-in the more it costs. Travel expenses for 4 demonstrators, caterer for 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches, rental of toilets, chairs, tables, tents, postage for letters sent to about 200+ people, propane, steel, belts, sand paper, mic system and I am sure there will be more expenses to come yet.
I am, and I'm sure others that host events like this are not trying to make any money. I would like to break even. I don't even mind if it cost me a bit.

I feel a good hammer-in should be a place to come and meet new people, learn from a few great knife makers, good food, pick up some supplies that others may be selling and lots of great memories.

Jim Clow

Ive been to a few Hammer Ins, one I fondly recall is hosted by Ron Claiborne. He does not charge a fee, but does ask participants to donate items to a raffle Ive seen everything from MS Blades to used files pretty much what folks can bring. All proceeds go to pay the cost of the hammer in. Tailgate sales are always good, as well as suppliers. Deomos are good, but I have always enjoyed working with folks at diffrent things. If you could have a couple of forges set up for folks to try new techniqies, as well as a couple of grinders. Just my opinion. As for food, Ive seen vendors who sold food, Hamburgers to Sliced Briskett, and Ive seen pot lucks go well. Where is your hammer in going to be?

My two cents worth: I've never been to one but am really looking forward to my first. I think everything already mentioned is a good idea except the donations - I hate donations. I never know if I'm giving too little or too much. I think a set fee, based on what it costs to put it on is a far better plan. Also, I will be driving from Kentucky to where they talk funny so a one day event would make it a long trip for a short event. Two day Hammer-In, in other words. Yah, sure!

Most charge a fee. Some sell T-shirts with the fee so at least you can walk away with something
I'd say demos and activities. Show some kids how to forge or a cutting competition

Just seen this.:les: The large HI's ( 35 to 40) I charge $40 a head, Ladies and students no charge. My smithy is setup with 4 work stations, all with forges, 3 anvils and a RR Track for the Newbies. The newbies will start out making cable damascus, I have lolliespops sticks with numbers on them, so first come, first served. My cellar shop has 2 grinders and etc. Lately the demo's have fell by the wayside. We originally had them in AM, then lunch, show & tell and pull the door prizes. Then hands on for the rest of the day. With the Old Times assisting as needed.:biggrin:
The main concern is safety. Everyone MUST wear safety glasses, if not a size 12 on the butt. Tracy if you have any ???, feel free to call.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Back