What's going on in your shop?

1080/Nickel 200 twist cylinders.....for some special Christmas gifts. I'll be sure to show you the results. ;)

IMG-5541.jpg

and fresh out of the oven after finishing with Gun-Kote....

IMG-5540.jpg
Those are awesome. What diameter are those and how much oversized was the billet? I have to try it.

For the last few weeks I have been tinkering on a new knife in the shop but I only have a pile of bad parts so far.
Most of my time has been practicing engraving lately. Here is my latest practice plate.

I have two knives I need to engrave. This design practice will be the one I use for the front bolster on one. This will go on an auto with button.
F8C47E85-C3E7-4988-9931-997BAEF34F94.jpeg

By far, the hardest part of engraving is design and drawing. Most evenings I work on sketching for at least an hour while ignoring the TV. I use an IPad, Apple Pencil and the app called Procreate. This is the sketch for the engraving above. I use a full page print out of the sketch for reference as I cut.

C63D271E-72E1-45F8-AA6B-9AE1E3EB7592.jpeg

Here are two earlier versions I chose not to use. The one on the lower right is a deep relief version which is not that fun to do.

4D89A865-C8AE-41A6-B4FF-4045EFD92690.jpeg 160606C5-878C-423D-8E18-A434004B3746.jpeg

Attachments

• 0DC8AD56-1ECB-4C80-B0C0-EF8AE22307C9.jpeg
    0DC8AD56-1ECB-4C80-B0C0-EF8AE22307C9.jpeg
    819.7 KB · Views: 4
For folks who don't engrave..... those pics above represent a significant input of time and effort. Background removal is a task that I despise. :)

Those are awesome. What diameter are those and how much oversized was the billet? I have to try it.
These are just shy of 1/2" OD..... they started out as 1 1/2" X 8" 1080/Nickel 200. After welding, the billet was taken down to a 1" square.... then into 1" rounding dies in the air hammer..... then 7/8" dies, then 3/4" dies..... then twisted, and then.... through 5/8" round dies. Along the way I cut billet into 1' pieces for easier handling. When it was all said and done..... I had just over 7' of 5/8" round.

After annealing, I clean them up on the lathe to their finished diameter (basically just clean off the scale... to clean steel), and then bore each one...in this case, to 7mm. I finish by putting each on a mandrel, put that mandrel into a Makita 18V drill, then going 400 thru 1200 on the grinder. Then the pieces are hot blued, and finished out with Gun-Kote. In this batch I did 16 pieces/cylinders, and have another 8 left to do.

I have some video I shot when working them, so when I get the time to edit that....I'll post it, along with pics of the finished items these were used to produce.

Dang. You guys have gone way past craftsmen - I call folks like you guys artisans - ‘Uncommonly good at every aspect of their craft”

Thank you for sharing. Dang

For the last few weeks I have been tinkering on a new knife in the shop but I only have a pile of bad parts so far.
Most of my time has been practicing engraving lately. Here is my latest practice plate.

I have two knives I need to engrave. This design practice will be the one I use for the front bolster on one. This will go on an auto with button.
View attachment 76222

By far, the hardest part of engraving is design and drawing. Most evenings I work on sketching for at least an hour while ignoring the TV. I use an IPad, Apple Pencil and the app called Procreate. This is the sketch for the engraving above. I use a full page print out of the sketch for reference as I cut.

View attachment 76223

Here are two earlier versions I chose not to use. The one on the lower right is a deep relief version which is not that fun to do.

View attachment 76225 View attachment 76226
Getting fancy with that stuff Boss. Beautiful work!

For a lot of years, I have wanted one, and before my body won't let me, I decided I am finally going to make a very special "knife" for me. A Medjai Sword. It's essentially a stylized version of a Turkish yatagan. It's likely most understood as the knife used in "The Mummy" by the Medjai warrior.

The one I'm making is going to be a tad shorter.... they are normally in the 50-80cm (19-30 inches), mine is 17.5" blade. Damascus, with the plan being for all Damascus fittings, and likely a fossil ivory and African Blackwood handle..... but...things could change. ;) This is the rough forged blade...still need to refine a couple of things.

More to come!

IMG-5553.jpg

For a lot of years, I have wanted one, and before my body won't let me, I decided I am finally going to make a very special "knife" for me. A Medjai Sword. It's essentially a stylized version of a Turkish yatagan. It's likely most understood as the knife used in "The Mummy" by the Medjai warrior.

The one I'm making is going to be a tad shorter.... they are normally in the 50-80cm (19-30 inches), mine is 17.5" blade. Damascus, with the plan being for all Damascus fittings, and likely a fossil ivory and African Blackwood handle..... but...things could change. ;) This is the rough forged blade...still need to refine a couple of things.

More to come!

IMG-5553.jpg

That’s gonna be wicked! Looking forward to watching this.

Back