What's going on in your shop?

No filming this week.....have a student in the shop, but our latest adventure/video is building a a "can" billet. Hopefully Tim will have the video edited, and available on Knifemakertraining.com soon. Here's some teasers of the results.....
LOTS of steel! I'll have blades from it at the Blade Show, and should have plenty left over for sale! :)

And here's a bowie blade from the steel..... Pre-heat treat, at 220 grit......

A couple of Lovelss style drop point hunters right out of HT. A couple of firsts for me. First slotted guards and first tapered tangs. The tapered tangs are going to make a huge difference in weight and balance.

Attachments

• hunters.jpg
    hunters.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 19
With some life/career changes in the works, I figured I’d better post some pics of a few projects in the works as I know things will be slowing down for a few months in the shop. Gotta keep the family fed! Here’s a few hidden tangs in progress. Disclaimer....Although I’ve read the “how to” thread I haven’t posted pics here before, so chances are high that I may mess something up.
F5E35DCB-728C-481B-9234-2B4180BC5F24.jpegIMG_5575.JPG

Last edited:
With some life/career changes in the works, I figured I’d better post some pics of a few projects in the works as I know things will be slowing down for a few months in the shop. Gotta keep the family fed! Here’s a few hidden tangs in progress. Disclaimer....Although I’ve read the “how to” thread I haven’t posted pics here before, so chances are high that I may mess something up.
View attachment 62827View attachment 62829
Those look great! I like the handle in that bottom one.

Progress on the new work shop. Got the walls painted and started moving around work benches.
ouGLgaR.jpg

I've been out of commission (for knife-making) for over a year, but hope to be getting back in the groove soon. We moved, put up a shop/garage, and I think I finally see a light at the end of that long tunnel. Getting the forge functional again puts me one step closer.

Admins: I guess I've never posted a video on KD, just some pics. I tried but the file was too big, and I didn't know how to change the size. So, I hope it's ok to post this link. If not, please let me know and/or delete post if need be.
Thanks,
Bill

Ughh full time job is busy and I have not had a lot of time to work on knives. Anyone else have some almost finished laying on there bench? I have 2 that I need to complete this weekend. Probably 95% done.

Ughh full time job is busy and I have not had a lot of time to work on knives. Anyone else have some almost finished laying on there bench? I have 2 that I need to complete this weekend. Probably 95% done.

Absolutely. I have 3 sitting on my bench waiting for scales. I still need to glue the liners and scales and let them sit for 24 hours before I go down there this weekend to attach them to the handles.

I work 12-15 hours a day and am just too tired when I get home to get anything done.

Only thing I can think of is to quit my job. :)

I am getting ready to head in to day 3 of jury duty! Work is super busy and now jury duty and Im taking off next week for the first big family vacation with my kids....life is busy but life is good.
Probably be 2 weeks before any knife making happens but oh well.

Back