Why no one knows what a custom knife maker is...

One of the things that makes it absolutely worth it is when I'm at one of the Higher end art shows and farmer markets and when come by and see my custom knife display and we actually get through the, No Ma'am, I don't buy the blades. I hand grind the blades myself. They don't just pop out of a Microwave somewhere and the lights start to come on when I put the knife in their hand and tell them that they can choose from this box of beautiful woods and I will shape the handle just for their hand.

The people get this look in their eye that they are charmed and tickled to be buying a KNIFE and how they can't wait to tell their friends that they found this red neck looking man that actually makes knives here in Obama country and they ordered one! :3:

Yes! You can always have fun with it and sometimes make a sale too!

Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post on knifedogs. Enjoying looking around and seeing some very fine work. This thread caught my eye, because I have been making high end custom furniture for more than 35 years. I get the same looks. A couple years ago I set up at the Architectural Digest Home Show in Manhattan, pretty much the top end for custom design home furnishings. I had a booth full of handmade furniture, a nice young couple just loved my stuff, and asked where do I get it. (me) "Well, I take rough lumber, and I make it into whatever you want". (them) "That's great, but where do you get it?
So, the way I see it, the general public no longer understands that craftsmen can make things. The firm belief is that "things" are made in factories, and are sold in Walmart. Only to be replaced by another inferior product when it breaks. Quality is no longer considered when making a purchase.
It's good to be here, among craftsmen.
Larry

I read this thread yesterday evening before I went down to my shop. My 17 year old son had some friends hanging around and I overheard this while I was sanding.
Friend: So what's your dad doing in that shed?
Son: Making knives.
Friend: What does he want to do that for?
Son: He really enjoys the crafting and the learning.... and I think he needs a place to hide from mum.
I reckon with insight like that, the boy'll be just fine

I read this thread yesterday evening before I went down to my shop. My 17 year old son had some friends hanging around and I overheard this while I was sanding.
Friend: So what's your dad doing in that shed?
Son: Making knives.
Friend: What does he want to do that for?
Son: He really enjoys the crafting and the learning.... and I think he needs a place to hide from mum.
I reckon with insight like that, the boy'll be just fine

If your son doesn't become a knife maker he certainly could have a promising career in Marriage counseling and guidance! :3:

Hello Gentlemen, this is my first post on knifedogs. Enjoying looking around and seeing some very fine work. This thread caught my eye, because I have been making high end custom furniture for more than 35 years. I get the same looks. A couple years ago I set up at the Architectural Digest Home Show in Manhattan, pretty much the top end for custom design home furnishings. I had a booth full of handmade furniture, a nice young couple just loved my stuff, and asked where do I get it. (me) "Well, I take rough lumber, and I make it into whatever you want". (them) "That's great, but where do you get it?
So, the way I see it, the general public no longer understands that craftsmen can make things. The firm belief is that "things" are made in factories, and are sold in Walmart. Only to be replaced by another inferior product when it breaks. Quality is no longer considered when making a purchase.
Larry

Larry,
Welcome to the Pack here at KD's! I agree that there is a real disconnect with most young people about where & how things can be made! Many think that everything arrives in a container from Asian and that's the end of the story LOL

Last edited:
Larry

Yes, Larry, welcome to our corner. I for one would love to see your work. I imagine you have learned a few tricks in 35 years. Its OK to put them on this thread as we are on the subject.

People have lost the whole concept of craftmanship..making anything..self reliance etc...you really would be surprised how many people I come in contact with that only want meat from supermarkets cause they don't believe in any animals being harmed... the world is a scary scary place

Very fine cabinets for sure. I made a few china hutches when I was younger but nothing as heirloom quality as these. Stick around, we can all learn from you.

Larry,
Whoa! Those are some real works of art and truly heirloom quality! I use that very word when I describe my Culinary knives to prospective customers.
After we get through the, "When do you get the blades?"

I tell them I make these heirloom quality knives by hand and with a little care your great grand kids could be using these knives long after we are gone!

My single most hated response when the subject comes up, as it often does is, "Do you make throwing knives?" on one occasion I asked the guy what kind of knife he had on him, and of course it was an El'Cheapo, and I took it and chunked it....(it landed in the grass, come on, I'm not a jerk!), he didn't apprecriate it very much, with that I responded, See you can throw any knife! I did get it for him, he learned that there was a lot more to knives than if you could throw them, but I bet he won't ask that question again!!!!
And in 2nd place is and the only reason it's second is because it is not asked as much is, "do you make switchblades?"
For some reason this question bothers me almost as much as the throwing question, don't ask me why I have the problems, as far as it goes around here, it seems like just about everyone knows someone that is a knife maker, or at the very least calls themselves knifemakers, Which is good enough for me, personally as long as their not putting together pre-HT'd kits and standing behind their work, they can call themselves knife makers...., I'm sure there are many exclusions that I could come up with, but I think we're exclusive enough, just having people to carry on with this craft, so that this skill is not lost as it was close enough to, not 30 years ago, but through the actions of a handful of visionaries that took a chance, while I know none of them had a clue it would be what it is today, wouldn't it be awesome if they did!?!?!
I know the ABS's goal in the beginning was about education, if we ALL took the same type of attitude, to TEACH at least one person a year a little of what you know, I promise you will teach more!!! You will generally learn something in the exchange, and you will probably gain something as well, and that would be a new friend! Some will be back, some won't and a few..., very few will make you proud!! No matter how big or small you get a newbie started, that start is generally just enough of a breeze to crank up the ragging inferno that gets an individual desire on fire, and that's when nothing can stop them! Having a tiny part in that is priceless, to me anyway...
Rex
BTW, If we all teach 1 person a year, in 2 or 3 years Boss won't be asking these type of questions, because when you educate one it will multiply! I always make them all promise to do the same thing for every person that they can! I don't try as hard as I used to, ive only got 1 kid that wants to learn...maybe, so he isn't very taxing on my torn body, but much more than that these days is a stretch..., just had my 3rd knee surgery, it has been the most painful, hardest to heal, of them all, along with all my other problems, it's not easy just getting me to the shop as I can!

Last edited:
Back