WIP -- 1st knife from scratch

I would appreciate any tips from the pros out there for good filing techniques. Especially on how to keep the file straight, from edge to spine. I want a nice bevel.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tang file work

I'm thinking ahead to doing some filework on the tang.

I'm looking for any suggestions on tutorials or other designs I could try.

Also, what do you practice on for filework? Any suggestions? I guess I could try on the other 1/2 of the bar of the O1 I have, but I really didn't want too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

More filing

got to work on the knife some more.

I finished up the left side.

I wish I would have taken a better picture of the blade thickness.

IMG_0644.JPG

Right Side

started filing on the right side of the blade.

First I started to break it down to the final edge thickness.

IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0647.JPG

More filing

Once I had the edge thickness where I wanted it to be, I started draw filing it. I was pushing the file (rather than pulling it towards me).

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0652.JPG

metal filings

As I'm draw filing, I'm pushing the file.

Here is a pic of the magnetic metal filings that I'm pushing into the bolster area, and are creeping down the 2x4 that I have the knife screwed into.

IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0655.JPG

Keep Going! Looks good. Yeah, it is difficult to resist the temptation to work fast.

Use a T-Square/ metal ruler to check how flat you're filing.
I like to use markers blue or color in the metal above the file line with a sharpie - it stops me filing too high
I've filed too high on my plunge line just about every time! Welcome to the club!
The other club I belong to is filing too low on the blade and messing up the edge, so keep an eye on that.
The only other advise for draw filing I was given is not to stoop over your work and eyeball it like you're identifying a new inspect species.....stand up tall and straight and make sure the file is level with every stroke. A see-sawing action is going to create more work later when you try to get everything nice and flat.

I look forward to the end result.

more filing

got to do some more filing today. Today was clean up day. Try and get a straight file down.

I used a blue sharpie to color the blade. I then use chalk on a b4stard file, and then switched to a smooth file. I used chalk to prevent the teeth from clogging up. Here's how it went.

blade colored blue
IMG_0662.JPG

Taking down a high spot
IMG_0660.JPG

File with chalk
IMG_0661.JPG

some scratches

some scratches that will need to come out.

deeper ones are from the b4stard file, where I wasn't cleaning it enough times.

Eventually I would clean it every 2-3 swipes.

Scratches
IMG_0665.jpg

A closeup
IMG_0664.jpg

After some sanding. This is 50grit emery cloth. Each time I change grit, I change direction.
IMG_0666.jpg

Other side

I flipped the knife over (can't remember why, maybe just to look at it).

I started sanding on this side. I took it all the way to 600grit

After I draw filed, i switched directions, and sanded with 50grit
IMG_0668.jpg

Changing directions, sanding with 150grit
IMG_0669.JPG

Going to 400 (you can see some of the 150grit scratches)
IMG_0670.JPG

Another view
IMG_0671.jpg

After more sanding
IMG_0672.jpg

I tried wet sanding with some WD40 and 600 grit
IMG_0676.jpg

Camera wasn't quite in focus, but I tried to show the reflection.
IMG_0679.JPG

looks good brings back good times i think what i found helps me is whatever you wrap your sandpaper around make sure its flat and does not flex i would start with 100 grit and do circles then allternate in a x pattern then go to next grit 150/220/320/400/600

yeah, I started with a paint stirring stick. But, I eventually switched to just wrapping the file in the sand paper.

Try wet sanding with some mobile one oil I think it will work much better for you than WD40. Looking good

more filing...again

got to work on the knife tonight. Tonight was cleanup. My goal was to extend one of the plunge lines to match the other side. Make them more evenn. This meant using a file, and going to back to deep scratches. Then, I had to go back to 50grit, to 150grit, to 220, to 400 to 600grit. I finished with 600grit.

Here's one side.

Extended the plunge line, and cleaned it up.
IMG_0684.jpg

This side after 600grit (wrapped around a file).
IMG_0683.jpg

other side

flipped the knife over, and started on the other side.

Starting point
IMG_0685.jpg

I started with 150, rotated and went to 220, rotated and went to 400

Here it is after 400.
IMG_0686.jpg IMG_0687.jpg

more sanding...again

final pics after 600.
IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg IMG_0696.jpg

Going to wrap the blade in tape to protect it. Next to work on some filing on the spine.

Back