WIP -- 1st knife from scratch

heat treating

I'm thinking about heat treating this O1 knife. I had planned on attempting it myself.

However, I'm wondering if I might be able to get some help.

I'm currently living between Evansville, IN (1hr away) and Louisville KY (also 1hr away). I'd also be willing to drive 1hr south to Bowling Green, KY, or an hr north into Indiana.

Are there (or does anyone know of any) knifemakers in the area that might be able to heat treat it it for me?

feel free to PM me,if you don't want to post.

thanks a bunch!

Thanks!

I love craigslist!

found this little gem for $75!

Supposedly it was only used twice!

However, I'm still planning on finishing everything by hand...just to say I did it.

1hp 2x42
IMG_0697.jpg

One thing that I really like, is that this is the 1hp model. I don't think sears makes this anymore (all they seem to carry are the 1/3hp model).

Now, I need to figure out what belts I need.

Wow, great find! It looks like an older version of the new 2" x 42" grinder that I just bought. The belt dimensions might actually be on the back of the belt.

Good design, Looks well done, but, just how do you expect to HT the 01 steel? Without an oven, or other controlled temperature heat source, you will not be able to. Properly that is. 01 is not receptive to a simple heat and quench process. Just my humble opinion, but it would seem that you put more research into the mechanical and design aspect of making a knife, but not enough, if any, into research in the HT process, or steels that you might acually be able to HT well yourself. By your posts, you are more concerned with the looks of of your knife, which appears very promising, but not the potential performance of it. This is your first, and you seem more concerned with mosaic pins than with how this knife will hold up under use. You will find that it is best to learn to walk, before planning a long distance run. Before you feel chastised, or belittled in any way, I have been there. Concentrate more on which steels would work best for your circumstances. You already seem to have a natural talent for design. Slow down, and research.

Thanks for the kind words, and the positive critism (sp?).

I had found a tutorial on heat treating O1 with a 1 brick forge. I had planned on doing that. Worst case scenario, I was going to send it off. However, as luck would have it, I got a phone call from a knifemaker of 30yrs. He invited me over to his shop next Tue. He does everything in house, from simple heat treat, to cryo. I'm trying not to get too excited about it! wow. I just can't believe it!

A week later

been out sick + bad schedule. Finally, back to the knife.

Well, one thing you don't do, is drop a knife on a concrete floor.

ooops.
image074.jpg

different angle
image075.JPG

5min later, draw filing with a smooth cut file.
image076.JPG

Last edited:
Some filework?

so, I decide I want to do some filework on the tang.

First thing I do, is blue the spine with my handy-dandy
blue sharpie.
image077.JPG

I then mark off 7.5mm lines. Well, as close as I can with my steel
rule (I don't have a caliper).
Basically, I marked off 1.5cm, and then split it in 1/2.
image078.JPG

Needle files

so, every 1.5cm, I use a triangular needle file to start a cut. (I can tell I need glasses because the line is a little fuzzy).
image079.JPG

I then use a round needle file to open it up a bit.
image080.JPG

filework

I open it up a but more.
image081.JPG

I then use a small chainsaw file (I think it's a 5mm or 6mm) to open it up some more.
image082.JPG

I then use a regular (much bigger) chainsaw file to really open it up. My goal is to open it up, within 1mm of the other side.
image083.JPG

wow...I need to use glasses. I can't believe how much more detail I see with these photos. I couldn't see this good working on it.

slow down

I definitely need to slow down. You cannot be in a rush to do this.

I screwed up, and took the opening across the tang. ouch.
image084.JPG

I think I need to use glasses.

wow...this looks much better without my glasses. I didn't realize it was this rough. I thought I was done, but now that I see these photos, I see I need to clean this up a bit more.

image091.JPG

image090.JPG

I'll have to do this next week some time. Won't be able to work on the knife until then. But, I still have some more photo's coming.

checkering

so, I decide I want to do some checkering where my thumb will be.

I use a checkering file to add some in. For a slightly different look, I put in 2 checked sections.

What do you think?
image092.JPG

image093.JPG

image094.JPG

balance point

I didn't like the balance point of the knife. It was actually behind the bolster area. I decided to drill more holes, and to then counter-sink the holes with a bigger bit.

image095.JPG

image096.jpg

image097.jpg

well, almost ready for HT. I need to clean up my tang filework.

Any thoughts? Anything I missed? If all goes well, I should have this HT'd next week. yaaaa!

Nice work. I am watching with great interest as I am about to embark on the same journey you are on. I am looking forward to the final outcome.

Back