WIP -- 1st knife from scratch

looks great just 1 word of advise i think every maker will agree with me on is keep it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT SELL OR GIVE IT AWAY YOU WILL REGRET IF YOU DO

looks great just 1 word of advise i think every maker will agree with me on is keep it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT SELL OR GIVE IT AWAY YOU WILL REGRET IF YOU DO

I was actually thinking of giving it to my mom. She loves to gun deer hunt, and she really doesn't have a skinning knife.

heat treating!

yaaaa! I got the knife heat treated. Today was a special treat for me. I was invited over by Ken Coats place.

He invited me over to do the heat treating.

Let me say, this was a great vist. I was humbled by Ken's work, craftsmanship, and a friendly personality.
He opened up his shop to me, to let me look around, and he took the time to explain things to me.
I just can't say enough about how nice he was and the vist.

You can tell he really knows his stuff. I've always had an unwritten rule, that you call tell a craftsman,
by the number of jigs he has around his place. Let me tell you, this guy has it all. He as put his time in.

I'm not big on folders, but just holding his knifes makes me rethink that mentality. wow.

So, while Ken was graciously talking to me, he fired up his evenheat oven to 1450.
He let the knife soak for 10min (or was it 15?), and then quenched in oil.

I still need to temper the blade.

After the knife had cool down, he just touched it with a belt, so that
I would have a shiny surface to watch for straw color while I'm tempering.

Knife after heat treat
image099.JPG

handle area
image098.JPG

a close-up of the bolster area.
image100.JPG

more closeup

some more closeup shots of the post-heat treat kso.

for those that may have never seen something like this (I hadn't till today).

tang
image102.JPG

filework area
image101.JPG

an edge shot to show the blade is still straight
image103.JPG

orange peel

I do have one question for you pros out there. If you look real close at the knife, some areas have an orange-peel type surface.

What is that? Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

image104.jpg

Looks like a little decarb,that is common in carbon steels quenched in oil.You will have to grind or sand down a few thou. to get past it,but it should be fine.
Stan

Duh:34:I for got your doing this one with files by hand,you should be able to draw file off the decarb and all of a sudden your file will quit biting,that means you have it all cleaned off and can start handsanding toward final finish.
Stan

tempering

So, I finally got around to tempering the knife. I used a toaster oven I picked up off of craigstlist for $8.

I tempered 2x. 2hr@375F. I let it air cool between each draw.

here's what the knife looks like:

image108.jpg

correct color?

I'm kinda concerned. I would have expected the knife to be more golden (or straw) in color. It's more blue than I expected.

Should I be concerned? Thoughts? Comments?

image105.jpg

image107.JPG

image106.JPG

Thanks!

It should be fine,You need to get an oven thermometer to put in your toaster oven to verify temps,the surface color will vary by traces of oil and contaminants on the blade.
If you had cleaned off all the scale and got it to shiny metal and cleaned it well then it may have gotten to a straw color.
Stan

Just noticed this thread and I'm looking on my phone so I can't see everything. Just wanted to say that I think that you are doing a god job and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! They always help.

I'm hoping to get back to the blade tomorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions on sanding down the edge *without* a belt sander? Right now I'm just thinking of wrapping my files in sand paper.

Post HT

well, holidays are over with, and I got to play with my knife again.

I decided to clean up the knife a bit. I wanted to remove some of the scale and whatnot from the knife after HT.

I swiped the knife down with 220.

tang shot
image110.jpg

the other side.
image109.jpg

blade

Ken touched the blade on his KMG for me, so that I had a clear spot to watch the color during tempering.

this left a little low spot. I had to take it down a bit with the 220.

blade with the low spot
image111.jpg

15min later with some 220 and elbow greese.
image112.jpg

You will also notice the brass bar stock that is wrapped in the 220. I'm going to use that in a little bit to start my bolsters.

btw, how do I clean up the holes in the tang. Do I have to worry about that? Should I soak the blade in anything?

3/16 bolsters

I'm using 3/16" barstock for my bolsters? Why? I don't know. I thought it sounded good at the time. My blade is 3/16 thick, so I figured thats what the bolsters should be. I'm using a 5/32 for pins.

I decided to cut the pins to be 3/4 of an inch. I figured that would give me enough length, for when I pein them down.
image113.jpg

The pins were a bit large. I don't know how much, as I don't have a micrometer. So, I put them them in the drill and sanded them down, until there was a smooth, but snug fit it the knife.
image114.jpg

Back