I got mine at Woodcraft, but you can also buy it online. Woodcraft didn't have any other color pigments than black, but you can order it on System 3's website, or Woodcraft should also be able to get it for you. It really is great epoxy!
Never heard of woodcraft before. Thanks for the tip. I googled them, and found there was a store in Louisville. I was luck enough, that I was in there these past few days, and was able to pick up some bottles.
Just for good measure, I put a c-clamp on the bolsters, and tightened it down pretty good.
Don't know if I dented the bolsters or not.
Looking back on it, I made 2 more mistakes.
a)I should have used a piece of wood when I clamped.
b)I should have looked closer (these pics are actually better than when the knife is in hand). I didn't realize that much JBWeld came out.
Any suggestions on cleaning that up? I know it's going to be pretty hard.
I'm hoping I might be able to take a sharpened wedge piece of wood to scrape it off. Maybe that in conjuction with some acetone.
I also want to use some spacers. I actually want to use them between the tang and the bolsters. The plan is to scribe a line on the spacer material, and bend it up, so that it's at a 90. It sits between the scales and the bolsters/tang.
I don't know yet if I'm going to end up doing that. You will see why in a bit.
So, I trace out the tang
And start cutting it with some tin snips.
One mistake I made. I cut everything too close. I should have left more over hang, all the way around the outline. This would give me more fudge factor. Trying to be cheap, catches up with me in the end.
Ok, breathe, breathe...take a breather from the stupidity I just did.
I decide to work on the scale. I hit it with a 9/32 drill bit, to rough it up, so the epoxy has more places to grab between the scale and the spacer. Why 9/32? Just what I grabbed out of the box, because it looked good.
You would swear that the impressions are CNC machined, they look so accurate. lol
ok, moment of truth. Time to clue the spacer to the scales. I don't know if I did this right. I really had to do a lot of juggling to even get this close.
I would appreciate some feedback on if I did this correctly.
It wouldn't have been to bad, but I couldn't get that 90* section tight. If I tighted down 1 clamp, it would move just 1/64, and create a gap somewhere. I was lucky in
that I'm usein 24hr epoxy. When I take these clamps off tomorrow, I'm afraid what I
might see. If it's bad, I'm thinking I might just sand off that little 90* spacer section,
which means the scale would be right up against the bolster.
Taking pictures keeps me honest. I have to think about things (or at least attempt to), because i'm looking for feedback here. I dream about the day when I'm a famous knifemaker, getting $5000 for a blade, and I can look back at this thread and chuckle. ;-)
Although, as long as it's taking me on this one, I don't think I'll ever finish it.