Hello

Sticks

This is an excellent forum; the work exhibited here is a bit intimidating to a beginner like me, but great inspiration!

I live in Kildeer, IL, 30 some miles northwest of Chicago. I've done three stock removal knives and am starting the fourth. I've been lucky because my good friend and neighbor has been very generous in letting me use his belt grinder. (We're also lucky that are wives are best friends.) But our schedules don't always mesh so I'll be getting my own setup soon, like next paycheck....or so.

The first "knife" is low carbon steel and basically a paper weight. (My buddy didn't know that I'd finish a knife, once started, so he gave me a piece of Home Depot stuff to grind - well ...it was a good learning experience and the kids like to hold it while they are hanging around the computer.)

The second is 440C with linen micarta and nickle silver. The third is 440C with nickle silver and cocabola. The fourth is ATS 34 just started.

Jay Stickles

Attachments

• DSC_0501.jpg
    DSC_0501.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 19
KnifeDogsWelcome1.gif

Jay,

these are a great start! If my first few knives look that good, I will be very proud of myself!

Hi jay, I am also a begginer having made only four or five knives. I am from the Peoria area. Have to keep in touch so if we can find anymore Illinois boys we can have a get together. Great looking knives. Doug

Doug,

Nice to have another Illinois enthusiast. This is a great forum to keep in touch. I just took a big step forward for me. This week I purchased and will start assembling the Polarbearforge Grinder In a Box. Tracey, your new one looks like it will be a great machine, too. Anyway, I'll try to let you know how a guy with ten thumbs does.

But I gotta say the choice of motor and VFD has me scratching my head... I am thinking that I want a 1750 rpm, 1 1/2-2 hp, three phase motor. But the only VFD that I can come up with is the one Beaumont Metal Works sells with the KMG. I'll have 220 single phase as the input to the VFD.

Anyway, thank you all for your welcomes and kind comments.

Jay

Back