How long you been making knives?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Turns out I just hit 20 years this month making knives. I recall buying a grizzly knife grinder for my birthday 20 years ago and got started with that.

I made the first knife in 1999, it was a gift for my young son. My first grinder was a Pro-Cut machine from Mick Koval. These days I mostly make products for knife makers and users, that have come out of my experiences in making knives. I've met a lot of great people.

The top one is my first knife and the bottom one is my last.
7qHQXeo98lomxMQrJcg61nL9H-Uw8or27sKFD7RrU8CQt0WsjnA1Ud6o45cIWm9V661hA-iinxOfMg=w1366-h768-rw-no

d6TIraEGaQvsbyBFr8OMM6b0ZlIq01fu31tn2Ab8S5-7eoDhbIdnu1rwuF_5MwoShXaD9wQGya5aLA=w1366-h768-rw-no

Holy Cow! I hadn't really thought about it until I saw this thread..... but it's been 34 years for me! I started "piddling" with making knives in 1982! Been really serious (selling them) since 1989. Now you guys have forced me to look in the mirror! Hey! There's an old man there! What in the world happened to that "kid", who used to be 10 feet tall and bulletproof? :what!:(at 53, I'm still 10 feet tall, but the big red "S" on my chest has faded to pink) :rolleyes:

first one was a blade from Indain Ridge traders in 1970 . then started for real in 1989 till now .. still love it. 46 years so far.

Made my first knife in High school in Brainerd, MN in the late 50s(1959). There was a big gap where i was non productive until 1992. I started with the idea of putting a petrified wood handle on a knife. I thought I should first learn how to make a knife. I'm still working on that part of it.
I recently had a chance to sharpen my 2nd knife that I made and it wasn't in to bad a shape.
Wish I had that first knife.
Take care
TJ Smith

I've been making knives for about 6 years now. I started with a Ryobi 4x36 benchtop belt sander making woodcarving knives from floor scraper blades for the woodcarving community. About 3 years ago I found a tutorial online on how to make a folding knife and I've been hooked on folders ever since. I look forward to many more years of making sparks and sharp, pointy objects.

I started about 14 years ago as a cutler putting handles on other folks blanks. In 2011 I took an ABS Intro to Bladesmithing class, and been forging my own ever since. I forge about 90%, and do about 10% stock removal.

I finished my first knife on January 16, 2012. So, come January 2017 - I will get my five (5) year pin.

I have learned so much and being a member of Knife dogs has sure helped me a great deal of times. A great group of guys/gals with plenty of knowledge to share.

Thanks a bunch!!

DeMo

From where I standing right now, the starting line looks a little blurry, but mid 1960s would put me at about 50 years.

John

I started in my black powder era of 1984! Shot the guns,made a pouch, and needed the knife to go with it. Still love making!

I'm just a new kid from the sounds of things. I made my first knife shaped object in the fall of 2012.

Chris

I started in 1989, using a stone wheel grinder and files, on files. I was an electrician then and looking thru a Grainger catalog one day saw they carried wilton square wheel grinders. they had a store locally and I asked the boss if I could buy one on company credit and have them take $20.00 a week out of my check. he thought I was crazy but it was a go...
I still use it but mostly use a Bader grinder now.

edit..I believe that square wheel was around $800.00 then.

Last edited:
Built my first in 1964 for a scout project. I carried it in Veitnam, it was supposed to be a western bowie but it was so ugly it scared the vietcong. Lol

Holy Cow! I hadn't really thought about it until I saw this thread..... but it's been 34 years for me! I started "piddling" with making knives in 1982! Been really serious (selling them) since 1989. Now you guys have forced me to look in the mirror! Hey! There's an old man there! What in the world happened to that "kid", who used to be 10 feet tall and bulletproof? :what!:(at 53, I'm still 10 feet tall, but the big red "S" on my chest has faded to pink) :rolleyes:

Ed, you are the first full time knife maker I met. You had a tremendous influence on me when we were next to each other at the Oregon show back in about 1990. I couldn't even get a table of my own but shared a table with a knife handle supplier. I was going to pay him but I never sold anything.

Back