Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Magnetic Walnut!!! So cool. :9:

barrelflatsandwalnutstock019.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thats funny because I was going to say the same thing!!![/QUOTE]

Its from the iron in the soil here. This is local grown walnut. Last year I surfaced a half dozen ears of corn. :)

Last edited:
I was able to hone the adapter hole to slide the muzzle into it today. I used Lon's boring attachment in the mill to counter-bore the adapter where it seats against the barrel.
Also I borrowed Lon's 1/8" slitting saw and mandrel. The saw was slow but it cut a beautiful slot for the damascus blade to slide into.

morebarreladaptershots001.jpg

morebarreladaptershots003.jpg

morebarreladaptershots005.jpg

morebarreladaptershots006.jpg

morebarreladaptershots007.jpg

morebarreladaptershots010.jpg

morebarreladaptershots013.jpg

morebarreladaptershots014.jpg

I think the next thing is to make the cap nut to hold the adapter on. That and cut a keyway so it doesnt rotate on the muzzle.

Bruce I believe that breech plug is from a site that sells parts for a traditional muzzle loader. If it is what I think it is they heat and bend that long tang to fit the curve of the particular stock they are working on, and then inlay the back of the breech plug and the tang into the wood and the long part the tang is drilled countersunk and screws hold it in place! But then I am sure you already knew all of this!:3:

Great progress!

Last edited:
I think you're right about it being a universal breech plug. If I were going to make one for this barrel it would look nearly identical so I'm tickled I found this one. The long tang does need to be bent to match my axe/pistol contour. Right now I,m inletting the walnut for the barrel and breech plug. Boy this walnut is nice to work with. The last one of these was rock hard curly maple!
Bruce I believe that breech plug is from a site that sells parts for a traditional muzzle loader. If it is what I think it is they heat and bend that long tang to fit the curve of the particular stock they are working on, and then inlay the back of the breech plug and the tang into the wood and the long part the tang is drilled countersunk and screws hold it in place! But then I am sure you already knew all of this!:3:

Great progress!

A couple days of wood work here. There are people that actually make custom gun stocks everyday. I dont envy them one bit. This is hard and tedious work and one slip of the tool could spell disaster to a high end piece of wood that has a many hours invested. I dont claim to be a stock maker but after milling and fitting and chiseling and fitting and scraping and fitting and fitting and fitting I finally have the barrel dropped in the stock. I plan to "bed" the barrel with epoxy and wood dust to make it solid and fill any voids under the barrel. The edges are not perfect but hopefully it will be acceptable, if not I have more wood, I can always chock it up to experience and start again.

Heres also a couple shots of the adapter thats is taking shape.

adapterandwoodwork001.jpg

adapterandwoodwork003.jpg

adapterandwoodwork005.jpg

adapterandwoodwork007.jpg

adapterandwoodwork008.jpg

adapterandwoodwork015.jpg

adapterandwoodwork016.jpg

adapterandwoodwork018.jpg

adapterandwoodwork019.jpg

adapterandwoodwork020.jpg

adapterandwoodwork023.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce, what is that round scraper tool called? Too cool! Got to get me one of those, even if I never make guns. ;)

Patrice, it's indeed a scraper designed for bedding barrels. I bought a pair of different sizes at a yard sale. I bet Brownells sell something similar.

I finished inletting the barrel and decided to bed it also. Bedding is simply filling the space with epoxy and squeezing the barrel down very tight allowing the excess epoxy to squeeze out. The result is a very tight fitting barrel. Another plus is the cavity is stabilized and very tough. This barrel will go in and out a thousand times before this project is finished. Notice the popsycle stick sections superglued on the top of the walnut to strengthen that fragile area so I can remove the barrel again after the epoxy dries without the walnut splitting there. I,ve used "acra-glass" before but this time I used 6 minute clear epoxy with a heavy mixture of walnut dust in it for color in hopes that all gaps will be non-existant to the eye.

I used a release agent made by acra-glass and a thin coat of vasoline just in case to be sure the barrel isnt locked into the stock permanately.

barrelmountingplates001.jpg

barrelmountingplates002.jpg

barrelmountingplates003.jpg

Next comes the mounting plates for the barrel. They also allow the serpentine to pivot and the powder box will be mounted solid to the barrel. These plates wont be seen but will provide mounts for the finished engraved side plates inlaid in the walnut on both sides. Right now they are drilled and tapped for 2-56 screws. Notice the yard sale tapping machine made from an elcheapo drill press.

barrelmountingplates005.jpg

barrelmountingplates006.jpg

barrelmountingplates008.jpg

barrelmountingplates009.jpg

In this photo I have one plate screwed solid to the barrel and opposite plate clamped and superglued to the barrel to hold it tight while drilling the mounting holes. The small square is used to be sure the serpentine pivot holes are lined up square. The barrel breech plug is one of the mounts and the barrel itself is the other. I need to be careful to not drill too deep into the barrel bore.

barrelmountingplates011.jpg

Last edited:
dovetailingpowderbox002.jpg

Onto the priming powder box next. I decided to dovetail the barrel and the 1018 primer box. This is 3/4" thick steel and will need allot of material removal before its finished. The angled top will remain flat for a pivoting metal lid to seal against losing gun powder. The body of the box will be rounded and hollowed out. The lid needs a spring to keep it closed but a light spring because the dragons face will open it when the trigger is pulled. Gee I hope this all works. I feel funny putting pictures on here on gun parts that are unproven. I dont know if this is the only box I'll need to make but here we go with the fun stuff.

I JB Welded the box dovetail to the barrel so I can clamp it into my milling machine vice. There is allot of tooling to do on it and the barrel makes a good handle. Later I'll heat it up to loosen the epoxy and remove the box.

The right side plate will need to be drilled and opened up to go over the primer box.

dovetailingpowderbox003.jpg

dovetailingpowderbox005.jpg

dovetailingpowderbox008.jpg

dovetailingpowderbox009.jpg

dovetailingpowderbox010.jpg

Last edited:
Back