Matchlock Axe/Pistol

I was able to glue (JB Weld w/black colorant) the left side mounting plate in permanately. It greatly strengthens the wooden stock and wont need to be removed again. The dragon got more work too of coarse. It seems to have full range of motion and will only need a slight adjustment after the serpentine and mounting plates are in their fixed positions.

concreteanddragon023_zpsaaa987d9.jpg

concreteanddragon025_zps3e6c7a20.jpg

concreteanddragon026_zpsae0cae06.jpg

concreteanddragon027_zps3740d1ab.jpg

concreteanddragon028_zps02454e4c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man Bruce, that last picture really pulls it all together. This thing is turning out to be beautiful! I'm really digging that dragon, you're making it look far better than I had envisioned - no surprise there. I'm really psyched about this project, though I'm kind of sorry to see its progress coming so close to completion already. It's like a great novel you never want to end...I want to keep watching you work forever. It's a mind blowing experience and I feel honored that you'd share this with us.

PS - And I really love that trigger and its guard. Why I'm so focused on that I don't know except it's so well executed - better than any gun I've ever seen.

This is an incredible feat that you are completing Bruce! You certainly think on an impressive level. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us!!!

Brian

Thanks guys for the fine compliments and swollen head.

Boss, yes you can shoot it. Heck you can be the first one to fire it. I was going to use a long lanyard and hide behind the pickup but now I have a volunteer. Cool! :)

I never said first.
I am OK with second or third.
Janik will do it.

Thanks guys for the fine compliments and swollen head.

Boss, yes you can shoot it. Heck you can be the first one to fire it. I was going to use a long lanyard and hide behind the pickup but now I have a volunteer. Cool! :)

Catastrophic Failure?
:s12201: I sure hope not!!

Bruce, that Dragon is too cool! That was the look way back when, I could see Sir Francis Drake on the Queen Anne's Revenge with one of these on his side.

His would have been Wheel or Flintlock.

Very impressive craftsmanship.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Sure, If my remember correctly Drake had two main Warships, The Golden Hind, with Gold leaf around the stern, This is the ship that he & crew sailed around the world in.

Most contend that Magellan was the first to circumnavigate the world, I say Magellan dyed in the Philippine islands and Drake was the first to sail and bring himself & the crew home to England. Around the world.

My understanding was the Queen's Anne's Revenge was the sanctioned pirate-er ship that he sail and looted & Plundered the Spain ships & holding's with off of the new world..

The Spanish called him Drago or The Dragon instead of Drake, Due to his fearsome reputation. The Spanish Gallon ships did not want to see "The Dragon" Ship bearing down on their convoy.

Google, Queen Anne's Revenge, "The Golden Hind" Sir Francis Drake.

Drake was also noted to be a "Friend" of Queen Anne's and affairs of state were mixed with pillow talk.

my time line may be incorrect?
Very interesting history that formed our modern world.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Not to take away from Drake or Magellan as they where great men in history. But, actually the Chinese Admiral Zheng He was probably the first to sailed round the world and just about everywhere else in the early 1400s during their Voyages of Discovery. Ruins of some of their junks have been found as evidence, besides other reports. It is now believed that the Portuguese were in possession of the Chinese charts, which are quite accurate as the Chinese figured out how to plot longitude as well as latitude long before the Europeans. Unfortunately all Americans and Europeans are ever taught is European history, not WORLD history. The Chinese where eating off fine "china" and had indoor plumbing when the European kings were still eating moldy bread from slabs of wood. Gavin Menzies 1421 and 1434 are very interesting reading and he gives good support to the probability. Unfortunately, for the Chinese, the Dynasty that replaced the world visionary Zhu Di destroyed most of the official records when they plunged the country into isolationism.

Last edited:
The Chinese were/are fierce warriors and advanced. We do tend to stay on our side of the pond with history. I think the Chinese invented gun powder.

Today I got some work on the inlays done into the wooden stock. The forearm one is supposed to be a dragon tail. My best bud Dana Hackney designed it on paper for me. He has a great future designing dragon parts.

inlaysonpommelandforearm001.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm002.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm005.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm006.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm008.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm010.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm011.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm012.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm013.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm014.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm015.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm016.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm017.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm018.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm019.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm021.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm022.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm023.jpg

inlaysonpommelandforearm025.jpg

Not to take away from Drake or Magellan as they where great men in history. But, actually the Chinese Admiral Zheng He was probably the first to sailed round the world and just about everywhere else in the early 1400s during their Voyages of Discovery. Ruins of some of their junks have been found as evidence, besides other reports. It is now believed that the Portuguese were in possession of the Chinese charts, which are quite accurate as the Chinese figured out how to plot longitude as well as latitude long before the Europeans. Unfortunately all Americans and Europeans are ever taught is European history, not WORLD history. The Chinese where eating off fine "china" and had indoor plumbing when the European kings were still eating moldy bread from slabs of wood. Gavin Menzies 1421 and 1434 are very interesting reading and he gives good support to the probability. Unfortunately, for the Chinese, the Dynasty that replaced the world visionary Zhu Di destroyed most of the official records when they plunged the country into isolationism.

All apparently quite true,
A few of their Chinese round stone ship Anchors have been found along the Western seaboard here in the USA.

With Drake we have replica of the Golden Hind in London and they spoke English.

I apparently mixed up my ships and Queen Anne's revenge was the ship of the famous Pirate "Blackbeard" Edward Teach.

The Chinese did invent The magnetic Compass, Gun Powder, a Repeating Crossbow, the Trebuchet, an improved Catapult. and many others.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Oh, ya the Golden Hind is a much better fit for a piece such as this. Maybe Bruce will come up with a Chinese type cut n shoot one day. Dragons would work quite well with something like that also.

I just have a thing about real history. Kinda like Columbus discovered America. The others who had just never bothered to tell everyone else about it. LOL.

Kind of like all the natives in the Americas ancestors came over on the Bering Sea land bridge. With people managing to get to most of the islands in the South Pacific, wouldn't you think some of them just might have ran into something as big as South America?

Last edited:
This gun/axe is really coming together now. I can't wait to see the finished product. Seeing some Bruce Bump work in person is on my bucket list.

Back