Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Back from vacation in Montana. I went to see my big brother and he walked my tail off. We were looking for the Wiley antelope and found about 85 of them. The trouble is they can run really fast and I can barely waddle in comparison. Everytime they went over the hill out of sight we would try to run up and half the distance them. They werent half the distance but instead they were double the distance. We never did get a shot but it was great to spend some time with my only brother again.

I spent some time on the wood work and the steel plate inlays. There were gaps here and there so I marked the steel and spread it with a hammer to close the gaps. A good fitting inlay is slightly under-cut on the steel so it kinda wedges into the cutout. The mild steel is easy to spread with a small hammer on the bench anvil.

montanaandaxegunstock020.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock021.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock022.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock023.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock024.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock025.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock026.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock028.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock029.jpg

montanaandaxegunstock030.jpg

Making good progress Bruce! I appreciate the idea for filling the gaps in inlay; that's always been my biggest bugger and why I don't try it anymore. Now maybe I'll give it another chance someday. Don't think I've mentioned it, but I really dig that dragon! :)

Laurence, Yes I looking for a name for this one. It was/is a horsemans axe but the pirate gig sounds good too. It can go either way. Run some more names and history past us here, something will scream out I,m positive.

Bruce,
You mentioned a horseman's Axe was the original theme of this fine piece you are making so with Halloween around the corner I googled up Headless horseman and came across this name that I think has a interesting ring to it for a fine piece like this that has a Horseman Hatchet & shoot theme.

Dullahan

From Wikipedia,

This article is about the Irish mythological figure. For the Thoroughbred racehorse, see Dullahan (horse).

The Irish dullahan (also Gan Ceann, meaning "without a head" in Irish) is a type of unseelie fairie.

It is headless, usually seen riding a black horse and carrying his or her head under one arm. The head's eyes are massive and constantly dart about like flies, while the mouth is constantly in a hideous grin that touches both sides of the head. The flesh of the head is said to have the color and consistency of moldy cheese. The dullahan's whip is actually a human corpse's spine, and the wagons they sometimes use are made of similarly funereal objects (e.g. candles in skulls to light the way, the spokes of the wheels made from thigh bones, the wagon's covering made from a worm-chewn pall). When the dullahan stops riding, it is where a person is due to die. The dullahan calls out their name, at which point they immediately perish.

There is no way to bar the road against a dullahan—all locks and gates open on their own when it approaches. Also, they do not appreciate being watched while on their errands, throwing a basin of blood on those who dare to do so (often a mark that they are among the next to die), or even lashing out the watchers' eyes with their whips. Nonetheless, they are frightened of gold, and even a single gold pin can drive a dullahan away.

I am just a insomniac having some fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence, you must be allot of fun at Halloween! I bet the little kids that knock on your door run away screaming leaving a trail of candy.
My advice is to stop drinking a pot of coffee at bedtime. hehee

Awesome story. I like the term: "Horseman Hatchet" allot and will now start using that term. The dragon theme may not work into it, is what I'm wondering about. I could always cut off the horns on the dragon and call it a horse. Not ready to do that yet, What other horseman stories ya got? Its my fault however to build a hatchet with a dragon designed to be wielded off horseback. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Laurence, you must be allot of fun at Halloween! I bet the little kids that knock on your door run away screaming leaving a trail of candy.
My advice is to stop drinking a pot of coffee at bedtime. hehee

Awesome story. I like the term: "Horseman Hatchet" allot and will now start using that term. The dragon theme may not work into it, is what I'm wondering about. I could always cut off the horns on the dragon and call it a horse. Not ready to do that yet, What other horseman stories ya got? Its my fault however to build a hatchet with a dragon designed to be wielded off horseback. Hmmm.

Please dont do that Bruce.....I'm looking forward to seeing the Dragon breath some fire.

Hey Bruce!

I did some more searching for dragon names and found the following. I kind of like Attor and Glaurung.

ATTOR: Old English word meaning "gall; poison; venom." Variant: Ator.

APOPHIS (Άποφις): Greek form of Egyptian Apep, possibly meaning "to slither." In mythology, Apep is the personification of evil, seen as a giant snake, serpent or dragon. Known as the Serpent of the Nile or Evil Lizard, he was an enemy of the sun god.

FÁFNIR: Old Norse myth name of a dwarf who transformed into a dragon, the symbol of greed. Also called Fraener.

GLAURUNG: In Tolkien's Middle-Earth, this is the name of the wingless, fire-breathing, trickster dragon known as "The Deceiver" and "Father of Dragons." He was slain by Túrin.

LONGWEI (龙威): Chinese name meaning "dragon greatness." This was the name of the first Chinese-built ironclad battleship later renamed Pingyuan.

PENDRAGON: Celtic name meaning "chief dragon." In Arthurian legend, this is a title/name of several kings of the Britons, and King Arthur's father Uther Pendragon.

PYTHAGORAS (Πυθαγόρας): Greek name composed of the name Pythios "python" and the word agora "market," hence "python market."
PYTHIOS (Πύθιος): Greek name, possibly derived from the word pythein, meaning "to rot." In mythology, this is the name of a serpent killed by Apollo near Delphi. The name then became one of his epithets.

VOLOS (Волосъ): Slavic name derived from the word volu, meaning "ox." In mythology, this is the name of a god of the earth, underworld, dragons, cattle, magic and trickery. He is an enemy of Perun and is described as being horned and serpentine. Also known as Veles.

TANIS (Τάνις): Greek form of Phoenician Tanith, possibly meaning "serpent lady. In Egyptian her name means "land of Neith."

The handle is looking sleek and gonna be one mean looking fire breathing pistol......the wood is amazingly beautiful.

Dana

Ray, you have your own special talent. You two are my favorite knife makers and I'm really lucky to call you both my friend as well. What a blessed day for me! :)

I lIke pendragon. It is the name of the project I am currently working on. I will be posting up pictures soon.

Dana, you are the only person I know that can even pronounce these names.:) I do kinda like "Attor the Horsmans Hatchet" though.

Sorry I've been away from here, Mom passed away on the 10th. Our artist son Brian came home for the funeral and took the helm on the dragons eyeballs. From here I think the engraver can add the fine details without the use of mounting stones in them, or he can mount very small stones but I'm not going to try it myself.

I also turned a couple brass inserts for mounting the trigger guard and drilled a few mounting holes in the side plates and worked the wood stock down a bit more.

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun001.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun002.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun019.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun022.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun026.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun029.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun030.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun031.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun032.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun033.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun034.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun035.jpg

familyfromfuneralandmoreaxegun036.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother. Even if it's not a surprise losing your parents isn't at all
fun. Glad to see the artist son takes after the artist father though.

My sympathies on the passing of your Mom ...I've been there it's never easy.

Nice progress...I need to show this to my wife... she'll be amazed

Bruce,
First my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your Mom. I lost mine when I was six, I treasure my fond memories.

Glad to see one of your son's is in on the Horseman's Hatchet build. I think people will figure out the dragon part just by looking at this great family build.

Copper looks passingly amused at all the clamor in the employee lounge. :s12138:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Bruce
Very sorry to hear about your mum mate .Good to hear your family got together .
Keep up the great work on the axe gun.

Regards Ray Australia

Dana, you are the only person I know that can even pronounce these names.:) I do kinda like "Attor the Horsmans Hatchet" though.

Hey Bruce!

That is great that your son could attend and also do the carving. You guys have so much talent!

I did not say I could pronounce the names (accept Attor :)). I was going to leave that up to you. Attor the horsemans hatchet/axe does sound cool.

Hope all is well with you and yours, buddy.

Dana

Back