Matchlock Axe/Pistol

Don't know how I missed out on all this activity. Bruce, our sympathies and prayers for your family. Many of us seem to have lost our mothers, probably the single most influential person in most of our lives. That is not an easy time. Glad you're back on the job though! I think it's cool as hell that your son is getting his hands in on this project too, that's just awesome. This one is coming to that time like in a good novel about 2/3 of the way through when you know it's going to end and you just don't want it to. I love when your projects are finished because they're just awesome beyond belief, but I also miss the days of the WIP updates. I'm always anxious to see what you've done lately. Thanks for taking your valuable time to keep this going for us. I know how much extra work it is, and we all appreciate it.

Kaye and I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers my friends.

The serpentine needs a spacer so it wont drag on the side plates. I used brass because it has some lubrication value and is wear resistant plus it adds a little color. I chose to solder it in place so it cant turn and bind the shaft that goes through it.

These small sanding discs are handy for this application. Dave, here is how I cleaned that inside radius. I stacked 4 or 5 up and it sanded that hard to reach place nicely.

sideplates002.jpg

sideplates003-1.jpg

sideplates004-1.jpg

sideplates005-1.jpg

sideplates006-1.jpg

sideplates007-1.jpg

sideplates008-1.jpg

sideplates010-1.jpg

Looking good! I have to say it again, I really dig the work on that trigger guard. Thanks for showing me how you cleaned up that inside area; that 90 degree handpiece is sweet. I'm going to have to upgrade to a nice flex shaft some day and just pay for the handpieces I want -- just like buying a good grinder, you need a good flexible shaft machine too, with certain attachments to do the work. Good stuff. Thanks again Bruce for you effort on the WIPs. They're worth every minute of your time to me! :)

Dave, thanks, I do enjoy this type of thing and post when I need a rest, which seems like most of the time.

I worked on the side plates and made some screws to hold the serpentine on. The screws are from screw blanks available from Brownells. They just need to be threaded and cut the slot slightly wider. Run of the mill hardware screws have a huge slot and thus looks cheap. Guns have a much narrower single standard screw driver slot. I chose to dome these somewhat to give an antique rivet look. I had to cut them in half and am now threading each one for a 6-32 thread pitch. Thanks for the advice on the brass collet to clamp them in the lathe Roger T.

sideplatesandscrews001.jpg

sideplatesandscrews002.jpg

sideplatesandscrews003.jpg

sideplatesandscrews004.jpg

sideplatesandscrews005.jpg

sideplatesandscrews006.jpg

sideplatesandscrews007.jpg

sideplatesandscrews009.jpg

sideplatesandscrews010.jpg

sideplatesandscrews013.jpg

sideplatesandscrews011.jpg

sideplatesandscrews012.jpg

Bruce,
I just have to take a minute and say it,....yet AGAIN! YOU AMAZE ME!!!! The things you do and are doing, are nothing short of,....well, I've used the words amazing, incredible, awesome (a lot!), what else? I'm sure there were some more, I guess I'll have to start referencing a thesaurus to find some new words. All the other words are getting so over used, it's gotta sound ridiculous! The ideas you come up with, the manner you execute them, your thought process is unbelievable! I don't know how you do it, what makes you come up with the ideas you create, I was wondering, contemplating if you will. Can you share some of the magic? The way you think up of something new, where do you find inspiration? I remember reading how Sfreddo Rodrigo said how he looked for inspiration, he says he looks at cars. The Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, etc., I guess he can see something there, ( I looked, I didn't see it) I know his work is incredible, so it most work! So I'm sure you have some way, or some..."something", that makes you think! Just think about it, you may not realize what it is that triggers the "IT" that makes it happen! For me, I do what Sfreddo says not to do, I study other knives, all kinds of them, only customs of course. I'll pull a little something from many different knives and implement the different features, and as they apply to the knife, apply that feature to the particular design that I try to make as much mine as possible, with barely a straight line on it if practical, that's my way. I would love to hear YOUR way! This may be another thread entirely. But watching this WIP unfold. I'm blown away by the details, the dragon, the wedding rings, and let us not forget, it's an Ax with a pistol attached to it!!!!!! Your WIPS should be the beginning to the, "Bruce Bump Video Series", just my opinion, can't wait to see what your going to do to this Masterpiece NEXT! Rex

Last edited:
Bruce, Sorry to hear of your mothers passing. Great work on the horseman's ax, I wait in anticipation for each new update.

Rex, thank You my friend for the more than kind words.
I'm living my dream for sure. I dont have a job so I'm able to stay at home with the dogs and play all day and night in the shop. I'm just glad the Lord sends people that wish to pay me. Usually by the time these things are finished I tired of them and glad to see them go. About a year later I look at the pictures and think how the heck did you do that?

I think if there was one word of advice it would be "Patience" Whats the rush? I guarantee you that if you put 4 months worth of time into anything people will stop and look at it.

There are books with antique guns and knives from several hundred years ago that I thumb through for some inspiration. The makers of that time didnt really have anybody to teach them or a mentor to follow and most importantly a knife to copy. I've copied some of the great makers and just dont get any satisfaction from it. Once at a show I had an exact copy of a Bob Loveless on my table for $300. A well dressed man with alligator boots quickly came over and picked it up and looked at the logo, with a disappointed look he sat it back down and walked away. I decided to follow another maker isnt helping me. They made their path, I'm making mine.

Once at a show I had an exact copy of a Bob Loveless on my table for $300. A well dressed man with alligator boots quickly came over and picked it up and looked at the logo, with a disappointed look he sat it back down and walked away. I decided to follow another maker isnt helping me. They made their path, I'm making mine.

Bruce, next time you have a $300 Loveless copy - or anything for that matter - let me know! :) That guy was not the sharpest tack in the drawer.

Bruce, next time you have a $300 Loveless copy - or anything for that matter - let me know! :) That guy was not the sharpest tack in the drawer.

At the time I was a nobody in this business. I could make a good looking knife and I've always thought they looked as good as a Loveless but without the heritage he had/has people arent going to take my knockoff serious. We/I am much better off to blaze my own trail and hope it leads up instead of off a cliff.

At the time I was a nobody in this business. I could make a good looking knife and I've always thought they looked as good as a Loveless but without the heritage he had/has people arent going to take my knockoff serious. We/I am much better off to blaze my own trail and hope it leads up instead of off a cliff.

LOL! You're sure not going over a cliff my man! You're on top of the world! :)

I've copied some of the great makers and just dont get any satisfaction from it. Once at a show I had an exact copy of a Bob Loveless on my table for $300. A well dressed man with alligator boots quickly came over and picked it up and looked at the logo said:
Bruce,
When I started I met and listened to Bob Loveless at his shop a few times.

The rage was to make his patterns around here and I did one and I also decided that there was a lot to learn from Mr. Loveless but I didn't get any creative kick from copying his knives at all and if I was ever going to get anywhere in knife making and enjoy it, I would follow my own inspiration.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Today I Drilled and tapped the hold down holes for the side plated. They are also counter bored but didnt get a picture of that. I'm using 2-56 screws to hold the side plate on. Also made a removable breech plug for swamping out the barrel. Its on the left side and is made from a Honda motorcycle special bolt. It has 6mm x 1.0 threads. OK so this isnt completely all American Made now but heck it worked perfectly and besides we own a Honda CRV.
Next I need to bolt the trigger guard and the tang. See ya Monday, have a good weekend.

This old drill press is what I use for tapping holes. dont laugh, it works good

moresideplatesandbreechplug003.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug008.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug010.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug012.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug014.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug015.jpg

moresideplatesandbreechplug016.jpg

Hi Bruce, long time.

For a name how about, Dragon Breath of the Horseman

Sounds better than shoot+chopper=shopper, unless you're shopping at Wally World on Black Friday.

Doug

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, long time.

For a name how about, Dragon Breath of the Horseman

Sounds better than shoot+chopper=shopper, unless you're shopping at Wally World on Black Friday.

Doug
LOL, sounds good Doug, but Im leaning towards "Attor" The Horsemans Axe.

The big bolt on the bottom is the pivot bolt for the serpentine. Its a 2 piece bolt and goes completely through the gun. It has a special made bronze spacer so it can be tightened down securely and still allow the serpentine to travel freely.

The large diameter top screw is bolted directly into the barrel steel breech plug to allow cleaning out the barrel after a day of pillaging and heavy battlefield use. All bolts will be screwed into brass plugs that are epoxied into the wood such as the tang and trigger guard. The side plates are fastened to the steel barrel mounting plates with small 2-56 screws.

Yet to do is the front of the barrel. I'm still looking for my dovetail cutter for that.

I should show a good picture of the 2 piece serpentine bolt for ya.

Thanks for following so close.
Dumb question Bruce. What are you tapping the big bolts into? Wood? Sorry for missing something I'm sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation Bruce. Sometime when you have it apart and your camera handy, I would love to see the details of the serpentine bolt. Have a great day!

That thing is making my head spin!

I'm going to suggest 'Smaug' as a name. The old dragon boasted: "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

Seems like a good fit to me!

Back