My first WIP Mosaic damascus "Sujihiki"

Good morning Guys, This has been alot of fun so far. Mosaic damascus is labor intensive process. Its kind of repetitive as you are building the pattern and layers.. Yet, Its very rewarding. Yet can be frustrating, when stuff goes south.. lol

We often have a couple of billets running at the same time.. This allows for us to get the most out of the forging time. Theres alot of down time between some of these steps, waiting for the billet to cool, so it can be cleaned and cut etc.etc.

I also wanted to take a chance and tell you a bit more about Jr and myself.
Randy Jr. Is my 20 year old son. Last year he came to work with me in the shop and has been steadily learning and growing in his skill and ability's.. He runs the HOT side of the shop and does the damascus forging. Myself, My name is Randy Haas, I am the knife maker, I started making Knives 7 years ago. Like some I started with One Blade.. and that turned into 2, and so on.. Now its my passion.
Over the years new and better tools were added to my shop. and I always seem to be one tool away from having everything I want! :) . Fast forward to now, Im truly blessed to be able to work as a full time knife maker, Its my passion. And Having Randy Jr working with me has been a dream come true.. Im a proud Papa!

Doug, I think I told ya way back then, and Ill tell ya again, Dont worry brother, no matter what, Ill aways take your calls! :) LoL
I really love what I do.. As most artists and knife makers and craftsmen do.. And its just very cool to have a place like this where we can all compare notes and share and learn.. etc.

Bruce, Jr. did set all the welds with his flat dies.. even the 4 ways, He has done this whole billet with the same set of old (not so flat) flat dies.. We have a set of new flat dies sitting on the bench, Im not sure what hes waiting for..lol
We do have a set of square dies I fabricated.. and they are not often used.. Seems he taught himself to work with the flats and feels comfortable with them. You know what they say, If its not broke, dont fix it.. Also just goes to show ya, Your only limited by your desire to do something. Jr has shown me that again and again.

God Bless
Randy

I'm enjoying the heck out of this WIP Randy, thanks so much for posting it. Ya think there may be 3 generations in the shop someday?

Randy nice WIP, I always love seeing how other people do their welds and lay up patterns. I find it gets the creative juices flowing, thanks for sharing.

Hey everyone this is Randy Jr. just read the post and all the comments, thanks to everyone. It been a nice change of pace in the shop doing our first wip. Been really busy outside of the shop the last few days, but now thats all finished up thankfully so should have new progress pictures soon guys!

I sure am enjoying this Randy !!! Please express my thanks to your son as well. He does what I call "lovely" Damascus !!!!

Thank you Frank, I will tell Jr..

I hope to be able to add something to this thread this week.. Had to put this one on hold for a few.

Thank you, to both of you, for doing this WIP. I am a rookie at all of knife making and seeing how someone does this is simply fascinating. You guys make one heck of a team. I only wish you were closer so I could just sit and watch in person.

Fergy, If your ever in my neck of the woods, Give me a call.. your welcome any time.

Thanks everyone for checking this out, Im glad your enjoying the process so far.. Ill add more asap.

God Bless YA!
Randy

3 generation.

I'm enjoying the heck out of this WIP Randy, thanks so much for posting it. Ya think there may be 3 generations in the shop someday?

Denny, Glad your liking the WIP so far!
I sure hope we have 3 generations in the shop some day.. Were already breaking in my youngest son Hunter..Age 9, heres a couple pics we took of him working in the shop with us this week..

Hunter angle grinding on a ladder pattern billet.
Doug014.jpg

Hes inspecting his work, LOL He looks so serious.. :)
Doug013.jpg

God bless
Randy

Hunter must be a perfectionist like his Dad, he's making sure it's right before he goes on. Like the craftsmen in old times, the knowledge is passed from father to son - insuring this art form will never die.

Hunter must be a perfectionist like his Dad, he's making sure it's right before he goes on. Like the craftsmen in old times, the knowledge is passed from father to son - insuring this art form will never die.

Denny, Im sorta speechless. im all choked up... Thanks man, that really made my night! :)

This is a great read!!!! you are so Blessed, one can only smile!

I think it looks great. The only thing I would have done differently is triple the amount you made, I would want a big supply of that pattern.

Have you ever used a snagging wheel? I think they work better and faster at removing the rough fire scale.

Great WIP Randy and crew !!!

You guys are puttin out some awesome stuff these days. Thanks to the 3 of you for taking the time for a WIP.

Forge on- Josh

Back