"My very first knife" - post up!

I wish my dad were alive to give him one for Christmas. He is the one that got me interested in folders. He always let me handle his pocket knife

I know exactly how you feel Bruce, my Dad passed before I started this journey in knives. For as long as I can remember he always carried a Case Trapper, that knife removed many a splinter from my young hands and it is the reason I am so interested in slipjoints now.

Marvin,
I have been wanting to attempt a gut hook blade in a new design me and my son came up with, I
don't think it's something that hasn't been done before by someone somewhere, it started as a copy of a small and I mean very small little knife a friend made as a give away for kids at gun/knife shows, kinda great PR if you ask me, but I'm in no position to make that a habit just yet. Besides what I have in mind should stand on its on. If you don't mind I may barrage you with questions when I get started on it.

So here is my first one, have you seen or made a gut hut knife that was ONLY just the gut hook? I want to say I've seen one, I think it was a manufacturer that made it, I can't remember who it was or any specifics about it. My idea is really simplistic, I've made a rough sketch of it, I can scan it in and send it to you, if you'd like or mind taking a look at it. If my plans go as I have them in mind, it might be a series of small knives of different blade styles and purposes. If there is enough interest, interest meaning buyers, I may take it to the next level and have them water jetted, and attempt to do a production run. Ok, I now see I've rambled on more than normal, it's late and I get even more chatty when I'm tired, so I'll say good night now, Y'all have a great day, Rex

Hello mcClellen,

In my less than humble opinion the Gut Hook by it self is the smart way to go!
To me, There are few things riskier than using a Gut Hook on top of a knife blade on a animal when you have been out in the cold and may be tired and it may be getting dark and you have the business side of a sharp knife pointed up towards you.

I have seen one of the gut Hook only you are talking about on a Custom a few years back. It was a set with a nice hunter,
I have a customer that is interested in having me make a set for him, So any pointers that you pick up in your build would be appreciated!

Hello mcClellen,

In my less than humble opinion the Gut Hook by it self is the smart way to go!
To me, There are few things riskier than using a Gut Hook on top of a knife blade on a animal when you have been out in the cold and may be tired and it may be getting dark and you have the business side of a sharp knife pointed up towards you.

I have seen one of the gut Hook only you are talking about on a Custom a few years back. It was a set with a nice hunter,
I have a customer that is interested in having me make a set for him, So any pointers that you pick up in your build would be appreciated!

Rhino,
My name is Rex, Nice to meet you! I'll be more than happy to share any and all info I get. There are a couple of things I'm concerned with right off the bat. One is the angle of (Ok I have no idea what that area would be called so I'll say) the lip, meaning the area that is the part that goes inside the skin. With my idea being a gut hook only, AND using a new design that me and my son brainstormed on together which was not a gut hook, it was basically a
key chain knife or possibly a neck knife, it's very small, but extremely handy, and easy to hold and use. It isn't really meant to be an EDC in the respect of a utility, do it all kind of blade, my idea for this one was to have a small blade used for small cutting chores, a small knife that can be carried in small tight places, like attached to a key chain or as I mentioned a neck knife. I've got to get my sketch scanned and send it to Marvin (I haven't forgotten you Marvin, I finally got my last order finished last night... no that would have been this morning about 2:30, I've been toast since!) since he has done more gut hooks than I have, <which is none!>, and I hope he will allow me to pick his brain, probably clean!

I think it's a good design, it looks like it on paper. If I get the angles right for the "lip", and of course the cutting edge, it should be hotter than a newlyweds hotel room!

I'm always thinking of some different designs, trying to come up with something new...OK, fresh will probably have to do. I like to be original with everything I do, knives are probably the most difficult tools to be original with. No matter what I have come up with that I thought was something different, I have found the same concept somewhere else.

There are just too few parts and shapes, that are still functional with a useful design that are original. I'm not saying I don't keep trying, I still do. What I have found that sometimes works a little better is by combining certain aspects of different types of knives into my knife designs.

These will be polar opposite of what I usually make, most of the knives I've made have been of the chopper/fighter kind. I have done a couple of kitchen knives and 1 personal EDC. The rest, that I can think of, have been for the most part biguns', as we like to say down South.

I'll be sure to pass on anything I learn. That is one of the the things I love the most about knife making, learning new skills, techniques, anything really and then sharing what I've learned with others. That is just as rewarding as finishing a knife the same way I saw it on paper and in my mind. Thanks, Rex

This is turning into a nice thread guys Is there anymore first knife pictures out there? Come on now, I hung it out you can too. hehe

Bruce I've got one coming, just need to finish my newest one. Hopefully I'll have it close enough to take some pics later, Rex
BTW -My first born (knife) is really special to me, so please be sweet...who am I kidding, I want to know everything that is wrong with it, you know I don't think, well, remember getting a real critique on it, a lot of guys said, "it's was a great first, now make another one". At the time I probably couldn't have taken real criticism, but now I know that's not what it is, so hold on tight, I hope to have it good enough to take some pics tonight.

I know how hard it is to take critisizm from my own personal experiences, Our knives are almost like our own children. This thread wont have any critiques, nobody makes a great first knife. From humble beginnings often come works of art if we just keep making each one just a bit better than the last.
Bruce I've got one coming, just need to finish my newest one. Hopefully I'll have it close enough to take some pics later, Rex
BTW -My first born (knife) is really special to me, so please be sweet...who am I kidding, I want to know everything that is wrong with it, you know I don't think, well, remember getting a real critique on it, a lot of guys said, "it's was a great first, now make another one". At the time I probably couldn't have taken real criticism, but now I know that's not what it is, so hold on tight, I hope to have it good enough to take some pics tonight.

Last edited:
I know how hard it is to take critisizm from my own personal experiences, Our knives are almost like our own children. This thread wont have any critiques, nobody makes a great first knife. From humble beginnings often come works of art if we just keep making each one just a bit better than the last.

I really didn't mean that I wanted anyone to critique it, but we all know when you put one out there it is open for others opinions. The great thing about this group is that constructive criticism is all I've ever seen, no one has ever totally destroyed a newb, only encouragement, maybe a few pointers. It is so awesome that even us old newbs can put one on here and know that we will get more encouragement and some things to work on, knowing what is wrong about our work is just as important as knowing what is right about them. I do understand that you don't want this thread to be used for that purpose. And you saying these knives can be like our children is so true, because we take so much pride in what we make. After taking so much time, effort, blood, sweat and tears and let us not forget the time it takes to educate ourselves. I tell all those interested in making knives that it just about has to be an "all consuming endeavor", that's the way it is for me anyway. I'm always looking for something to read, studying just like I was in school to learn everything I can. My wife says I'm OCD about it, I don't know, it's just the only thing I want to read about. Was it like that for you Bruce? Anyone else? I am curious if it's just me, if I'm the freak my family and friends think I am...maybe freak is a strong word, they know I'm a knife nut...to a different degree than anyone else in the world is. I'll be posting my first knife next, with my last one that's almost finished, Rex

Rex, I think we all share the same optimism about making knives. We probally all at one time or another recieved the drive it takes to stay focused on this subject and need the same thing from it. I wonder if there are any phychiatrist (sp?) dogs around here? I know my addiction causes some family troubles in one area or another at times but it also has its good too. We go traveling to shows and cities that we simply wouldnt visit ever if it werent for knifemaking. I dont think theres anything more romantic than spending our wedding anniversary at a knife show.

[QUOTE. I dont think theres anything more romantic than spending our wedding anniversary at a knife show.[/QUOTE]

AMEN Brother Bruce! For us Knife Dogs!
There is nothing more Romantic that a walk with your Ladie down a isle of knives!:biggrin:

Laurence
www.westsidesharpening.com/

Here is my first knife with my last knife, my first knife is very special, not only to me but to my my wife as well. If it wasn't for her, I would not have taken the plunge. I just didn't want to invest the money and time into something that would be only for me. She knew that knifemaking was something that I wanted to do for reasons I couldn't explain, I still can't really explain it, all I can say is that I had to. I would get all geared up and excited about it, studying everything I could get my hands on, be on cloud 9 about it, and then slowly start talking myself out of it. Telling myself that it would cost too much money, that taking that much money for me wasn't the right thing to do. This same exact scenario had been going on for over 10 years, but things were different then. While going through, what I called a nagging obsession again, I started talking myself out of it again. When my wife told me that we would have a knife shop no matter if I used it or not!" Her support has allowed me to develop my skills without the expectations of a return financially. I explained to her that this was something I felt like I had to do, like it was some part of me that needed to make knives, which sounds like a bunch of hooey, still. But that is about the best way I can explain it. That I didn't know if I could or would make any money at it, or if I even could make a knife, since I had zero experience in making anything, zero experience with metal, basically zero reasons to think that I had any ability to make a knife, other than I knew I could,....some how.

BTW, I dedicated this knife to my wife, while I explained to her that this would most likely be the worst knife I ever make, there would only be one number 1.
She has treated that knife like it was the best knife ever made! Almost like a safe queen. Yeah, I have an awesome wife!!!!!

So here is my first knife and my last knife,
Number #1 (on top) is 1/8" 1095 steel from Admiral, made by stock removal method.
Handle is Walnut w/ mosaic pins
I attempted to put a finger groove on the blade, one of the things I learned is that it won't work too well on thin stock.

Last knife: Recurve Fighter
Hand forged W-2 w/ hamon
Handle is black Micarta with thong tubing used for pins.

attachment.php

000_0132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
first and last.jpg
The top knife is technically my first; however I made it with the help of Master Bladesmith Jim Stuart of the Hot Damn Forge. The middle knife is one of the first I made on my own. The last is a knife that was commission a decorative gift for a knife collector; the sheath is purple heart wood that I carved out.

This is a good thread, thanks guys for the stories too. We've all started somewhere. This internet invention sure helps with the first knives. The WIP's helped me allot and now I'm able to payback some of what I've learned.

Come on theres more first knives out there, keep em coming.

This is a good thread, thanks guys for the stories too. We've all started somewhere. This internet invention sure helps with the first knives. The WIP's helped me allot and now I'm able to payback some of what I've learned.

Come on theres more first knives out there, keep em coming.

Bruce my friend, You've paid back in SPADES!!!! It seems in most industries the elite keep their secrets to themselves, but with knife makers ELITE, you all share every little detail. Now I'm sure not all of the best of the best such as yourself, Ed Caffrey,Don Hanson, Michael Burch, Doug Lester, heck my head head hurts trying to think of all of the great makers that willingly share and help us newbs!!! And I'm still a newb, at least I consider myself a newb, maybe not a fresh one, but I still have so much to learn, all I can say to you and all of the others that have jumped in to help me when I've hit a rough spot, is THANK YOU, a huge THANK YOU!!

All I can do to pay back all of those that have helped me, is do my very best to help those that I can. If I'm sure of what I'm talking about I'll jump right in, if I don't know, I keep my fingers shut!!! I love teaching anyone anything I'm competent in, that's one of the reasons I'm wanting to start a local club. Our house is done, and we're still moving in, but very soon I'm going to kick some sort of club off to put knife makers in my area together and hopefully bring in some newbs that want to learn. It's kinda funny, every time I've taught anyone anything about knifemaking, I've learned something myself, I don't know if that's just what happens to me, but it so cool. Rex

rock on rex. nobody around were i live seems to want to learn i would gladly teach someone if anybody wanted to.
so keep up the great work.

My first was a Sheffield Bowie. The blade is a Ball Bearing and the third blade I forged for this knife. The First was Too Short, the Second was too thin and when I finally got one right I almost turned it into a big long Letter C. or the shape of a Pringle chip with the Press. This was at Bruce's Shop I am pretty sure I frustrated him with my learning curve. HA HA Thanks for the lessons Bruce. Best thing I ever learned. My Dad is still Showing it and asking me clean it up from time to time.

scheffield Bowie.JPG

Yep!
I am hoping more people chime in with there first work!
Come on!!!
We know you are out there! It's time to Man Up! And show us what you have got!
No one will laugh at ya! Well maybe a little! Just kidding! We all started somewhere!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

rock on rex. nobody around were i live seems to want to learn i would gladly teach someone if anybody wanted to.
so keep up the great work.

Thanks Larry,
But I've only had a couple of guys show interest, 1 you all know, and he's better than me, John Sanford, the other is a kid that is a friend of my sons, that was more fun than anything. I guess I will see once I get everything settled around here. I think it would be super cool to have something like what Dr. Batson puts on in Birmingham, but have mine in the fall instead of the spring, I guess you never know until you try! Thanks Bro`, Rex

Back