Out of this world!!!

Ohh yea, Looks like were doing a WIP!! Its been a while since the last one. This one is worthy of posting and sharing!! Heres a short video. Its of the first slice off this big meteorite!

[video=youtube;2_z2L5rlc8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_z2L5rlc8k&feature=related[/video][video=youtube;QgbChbJzTQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbChbJzTQQ[/video]

SO LET THE FORGING PROCESS BEGIN!
I gave Jr. the thumbs up to start this project next. So as soon as he finishes up the billets he is working on.. we will start on the Meteorite..

Eaglewood. Ill give ya a shout when we start

Thanks
Randy

Last edited:
I first read about this at 4 a.m. this morning before I headed off to go deer hunting. In my early morning haze, I read that you'll be making damascus billets from Mennonites :what!: I thought, 'What is he thinking and what part of the Mennonites is he going to use?".

It was only after the second cup of Coffee that I reread your post carefully! :eek:

Can't wait to see this WIP!!

Don, Im over here in tears! LMAO!!! I live in a community where there are many family's of Mennonites and Amish.. LOL to funny!

Bruce, It wont be long now!! Today was a great shop day, Randy Jr. made good progress finishing the order he has been working on.. :) I wrapped up a order I had been working on.. It wont be long now and he will be starting the forging process on the Meteorite. Im super excited!! :D

Well, Randy Jr. has me very excited about the billets he has in the mail for me. Still, I, too, am tuned up to see the forging of the meteorite. Won't the pattern(?) be destroyed by forging? I've done a lot of folders using meteorite for bolsters and one with a blade made from it. This was Seymchan meteorite from Russia. I'll certainly be watching. Frank

Randy,
I have been looking for meteorite for the longest time, every bit I've found was way too small and way too expensive! Think ya might be willing to sell a sliver or 2??? I mean ya got 4 pounds!!!! Everything I've found was in the pebble size! Mind me asking where you got this? And could they possibly have some more? After seeing my first set of bolsters made from meteorite I have wanted to incorporate some
into a blade some how, I doubt I could actually make a guard from it, too hard to file, but I'm pretty sure I could use it as a core to a Damascus blade. You know what would be really cool, I know it's not R.J.'s style, but a straight laminate wrapped around the meteorite core, that way you have the angular nickle running through the center of it with the straight lines running vertically, should be a nice contrast. Just an idea I had a while back, let me know if you can spare some and if you can't I guess I'll understand<sniff> <sniff>, Rex ....<sniff> <sniff>......

BTW, I would LOVE to see a WIP on this!!!! With RJ's talent with Damascus, he should come up with some pretty awesome stuff!!!! Just out of curiosity, will this involve "can" welding? Another skill I'm interested in, I plan on playing around with some of that soon. Thanks Bud, Rex

Rex get ahod of me. The original meteorite was 55 lbs so I think I might be able to spare some.

Im a trading guy

Clay

Thanks Clay, I really didnt want to come off any of the slice I have! lolol :)

But I would like to talk to you about the shavings.. Thats something I could use in a can of mosaic damascus! :D

This is a Campo meteorite, and by itself as found wont make a good blade. Its gona need forging with the addition of carbon to make it usable as a knife.

Heres a couple pics of the slice we are working with! Its some cool stuff and HEAVY!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Explosion blade and Meteorite 026.jpg
    Explosion blade and Meteorite 026.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 84
  • Explosion blade and Meteorite 027.jpg
    Explosion blade and Meteorite 027.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Explosion blade and Meteorite 028.jpg
    Explosion blade and Meteorite 028.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
Hey Randy and Rex , I may have a piece or two of meteorite / magnatite .I found several of them on an ancient indian site , here in midwest. Apparently the ancients liked them also . I sold a piece to Jesus Hernandez and he made a swell tanto from it ..... I also have some high grade Hematite that can be used for blades...

Bubba

Hey Randy and Rex , I may have a piece or two of meteorite / magnatite .I found several of them on an ancient indian site , here in midwest. Apparently the ancients liked them also . I sold a piece to Jesus Hernandez and he made a swell tanto from it ..... I also have some high grade Hematite that can be used for blades...

Bubba

Bubba, PLEASE show me what you've got! I'm interested, but I don't have Jesus kinda of money!!!
I'm a "PO white boy, from Alabama"...what? Jesus lives in Alabama? Who'd a thunk such a great Blade Smith could live in dumb old Alabama!!!!!"

But seriously. I am interested, I just may have to sell a kidney! Let me know what you've got, I'm more interested in meteorite than hematite, I can't count how many rocks of hematite I've thrown out gold prospecting, If I'd only knew they could be used in knife making!Just send me a PM off list please.

I'm really not supposed to be buying a lot right now, since we've started getting our house built. Thanks Bubba, Rex

What I did on one large piece I had was to cut out a blade for a folder, attatch a piece D2 around the edge with hard silver solder and then do the grinding. It has been sold but I think it's still up in customknifegallery.com if you go to the left hand side and scroll down to my name. Frank

Alright guys, It looks like we will embark on this amazing project starting tomorrow! Randy Jr. is geared up and ready to go! The UPS shows that we will get a delivery we need to proceed. So let the fun begin!!! :) Ill be snapping photos and posting updated as often as possible!

Thanks guys for the interest in this and keep a eye open for the WIP post I will be starting SOON!!!

God Bless.
Randy

What I did on one large piece I had was to cut out a blade for a folder, attatch a piece D2 around the edge with hard silver solder and then do the grinding. It has been sold but I think it's still up in customknifegallery.com if you go to the left hand side and scroll down to my name. Frank

Frank, Thats a cool idea. and the knife looks great.. This is a Campo meteorite and our plan is to forge the thing till its on solid bar of steel. Then use it to make damascus. Combining it with 1095. Me then will be able to use it as a blade as is, Or thin it out and laminate or san mai it around a carbon or stainless core!

I plan on pushing Jr to try new stuff and experiment with this stuff. Using it to make more then one style or bar of damascus!

Thanks again for the input!
Randy

Alright guys, It looks like we will embark on this amazing project starting tomorrow! Randy Jr. is geared up and ready to go! The UPS shows that we will get a delivery we need to proceed. So let the fun begin!!! :) Ill be snapping photos and posting updated as often as possible!

Thanks guys for the interest in this and keep a eye open for the WIP post I will be starting SOON!!!

God Bless.
Randy

Randy,
Would you mind posting here when you start the WIP so I'll know to go look for it? I'd appreciate it, I'm excited about this new project of yours, maybe one day I'll be able to get some Meteorite and be able to learn how to work with it, I know every blade I've seen that has incorporated it into a blade has been awesome! Even if it's just used as bolsters, it adds a certain something to a knife that is incredible.

The meteorite that I've seen that I like the best has angular lines of, what I think is, Nickle. Those lines are crossing back and forth, it's almost like it has no pattern or direction, yet it's still a pattern, beautiful stuff!!!! Have you etched a piece to see what kind of pattern it has or do you already know? Looking forward to the WIP, good luck guys!! Rex
BTW Tell Jr., he is doing an awesome job!!!

Randy,
I'm talking to Clay about getting some of that Campo. Will it be usable for bolsters as you and Jr. know I'm not into the forging ? Thanks. Frank.

Rex, Il be happy to post with a link. NP Yea, this stuff looks alot like what your saying when etched. But were gona take it to another level. and forge it into a solid. where the normal pattern your use to seeing will be pretty much gona, and it will have a different look entirely. And than when forged into a damascus bar, It will get drawn out and change even more.. Should look like bands of bright, to extra bright nickle mixed into the damascus. I think ?!?!? lol This is a first for us. And were gona try a couple of new things and see what we come up with!
Jr. said "Thank you sir". I sure am proud of him. :D

Frank, Clay is a cool guy!! He makes some amazing stuff in his studio, quite a artist in his own right!!! It will be nice to see what wild stuff you come up with, working with this meteorite..

Hey Dog's. were about to embark on a great adventure here at HHH Knives. And I want to bring you guys along with us..

OK so heres what Im thinking!
Soon, I will start a new WIP of a awesome new project. Were going to be forging some Meteorite damascus! Yep that is the out of this world reference. :) Today I received a 4+ lb piece of Meteorite and with a little luck at the end of the process we will have a couple of extra amazing and beautiful billets of SPACE STEEL!

This is something Jr and I have not tried yet. But thats the awesome part of this great adventure I call knife making. Trying new stuff and working with new materials. As well as meeting new friends and learning new tricks, and sharing in each others successes as well as our set backs and straight up flops! :D

If you have read this all the way to here, Please post something to let me know if you would be interested in seeing a new "OUT OF THIS WORLD" Work In Progress

Thanks and God Bless YA!
Randy, HHH Knives

Heres a link to the WIP thread!!

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?21000-Out-of-this-world!!!!-W.i.p.

Back