Sub Hilt fund raiser WIP

The UPS lady dropped off the Paul Bos package tonight! WhooHoo, man that was fast. I sent it Monday and got it back on Friday the same week.
See if you can pick it out of the line up.....
100_4433_edited.jpg

100_4435_edited.jpg

Its the long one if you couldnt tell.

Now to put the final grinds and taper the tang the rest of the way.
Culpeppers should be sending the stag any day too.

Last edited:
Bruce you look awful busy. If you need any help, you can just send the rest of those blades to me for eventual finish and adding to my collection. :D

That really does put this knife in perspective, doesn't it?

Bruce you look awful busy. If you need any help, you can just send the rest of those blades to me for eventual finish and adding to my collection. :D

That really does put this knife in perspective, doesn't it?

A couple of those are my overdue customer knives but the rest are Mikes customers. He makes a more tactical style than I do.

Bruce that's one big grinder! Is that 134"? Did you build it?

Mike, you are one hell of a grinder. Your other knives look great too. I know you're busy but you should post more of your work here so I can ogle it. :)

Bruce that's one big grinder! Is that 134"? Did you build it?

Mike, you are one hell of a grinder. Your other knives look great too. I know you're busy but you should post more of your work here so I can ogle it. :)

The one Mike's using is a modified Burr King so it take 72 or 132" belts. I wish it were a variable speed model but its slower with the small drive wheel and does a good job.

Mike does need to get on here. He has developed a style the local cops like to carry.

Mike roughed the hollow grinds on the blade using the 5" wheel and I switched to the 2" wheel today so the center ridge will be more pronounced. Its a difficult grind because its fairly flat near the edge and as it gets to the ridge it is a tight hollow. I spent half the day grinding it and now have it straight and at about 1200 grit.
The tapered tang is done too. I hollow ground it and flattened it on the disc grinder. I checked it with a hieght gauge by pushing the tang down against the granite plate and checking how high the tip is and turned it over and checked the other side. If its dead on the tip will be the same hieght.

100_4470_edited.jpg

100_4471_edited.jpg

100_4472_edited.jpg

100_4475_edited.jpg

Mike had the guard rough profiled so I slid it in place and pinned it with temperary brass pins and started to contour it. I think I can pin the sub hilt and do them both at the same time. The sub hilt is about 1/8" wider than the guard. While I'm waiting for the stag to come back I may as well finish both guards and install them using the correct pins and solder too.

100_4477_edited.jpg

Last edited:
It is amazing all the work going into this project, we are just seeing part of it here. With the engraving and sheath work, I can not imagine the man hours involved making all this come together.

I'm happy you guys appreciate these. They are fun to do and are pretty much in real time too. You can see I dont get much done each day but if I constantly get out there the projects start to take shape. This one is waiting for the stag. I have it about as far as I can go except to finish the wooden knife and send to to Paul Long. He is so fast with his turn-around I'm not worried at all.

The drawing will be on November 6th and at this rate I doubt the knife will be ready to ship out. I expect it will be at Ken Hursts getting the artwork engraving done at that time. Whoever wins this bad boy will need to be patient another week or so. I would also like to send it to Cooper for a professional photo first and Jim will forward it onto the lucky winner. Jim is fast and only takes a couple days to shoot it. Other than that this project is moving along pretty nicely.

I'm really happy with everybodys responses to the Jamaica project we have chosen. Your donations were generous and plentiful. I think we could have doubled the amount of income if Paypal would have stayed onboard but thats the way it is. Since the day they bailed the income went from about $120-$160 per day to less than $20 every couple of days. Paypal is handy for sure. Its much easier to click than walk to the mail box.

If the stag arrives you will know it. Tune in again guys!

Yeah, the business with PayPal really upset me. I can understand why they would not favor raffles since there might be a real opportunity for fraud, but there must be some way the good causes could be verified and allowed. PayPal might even donate, rather than curtail good things happening. I think I'll send them a note - remember, I have absolutely no influence with anyone, but at least it might give them something to think about. Maybe there is a way future good works could be enabled. It's true what you say about the convenience of making donations, and many people - myself included - have a PayPal balance that is more discretionary than their more "regular" checking balances. (Which is why it took me a little longer to get my donation off to you; had to wait for payday since my PP balance is only about $5. :D)

Yes, Dave thats a good idea. Send them a letter and use this raffle as a reference. They know who I am now. Let me know what they say. Sooner is good as we are running out of time.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

Bruce, here's what I sent them. Perhaps others might also send PayPal a supporting note? It's not hard.

"Recently a colleague was prevented from collecting raffle payments for a charity he is running. I'm writing to ask PayPal to reconsider this policy. The raffle in question is the sale of a custom knife made by Mastersmith Bruce Bump. The knife raffle supports the purchase of playground equipment for an orphanage in Jamaica. You may find information about this generous undertaking at

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=1683

and follow the creation of the knife at

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=1911.

I understand that raffles may represent an opportunity for fraud. However, I believe it is possible to determine the legitimacy of any raffle in a simple and efficient manner, possibly by establishing pre-approval through PayPal.

In the current example, donations to the children's playground came to an abrupt halt when PayPal threatened Mr Bump's account. This is truly sad, particularly when this raffle could so easily have been verified. In the end, the charity will likely not have achieved even half of its potential simply because people are far more likely to send money if it's simple (PayPal) than if they have to go through the effort to prepare and mail a check or money order. Also, and probably equally important, people's PayPal balances may reflect a more discretionary form of money than their daily checking account balance.

Please reconsider this policy. PayPal could achieve great community recognition if, rather than preventing charity raffles, it enabled them and perhaps offered matching donations of some kind. Thank you for your consideration."

I'm not suggesting that this would have any effect on them, but I can hope that it might.

Thanks Bruce, for your kindness and wonderful example to us all.

Back